Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

On 6/15/2023 at 6:46 PM, kayman said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/24/905403716/hatemonger-paints-trump-advisor-stephen-miller-as-a-case-study-in-radicalization

Two words: Stephen Miller 

A white supremacist (i.e., anti-BIPOC  & bigot), confirmed by the SPLC as an extremist (https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/individual), and Jewish (https://www.ccarnet.org/jewish-groups-call-upon-president-trump-to-fire-stephen-miller/ ) 

Being Jewish doesn't excuse anti-BIPOC, anti-LGBTQ, nor outright bigotry being purveyed. 

I don't care about white supremacists. Most people don't feel that they are supreme to other races. Sometimes they feel only supreme to a certain group or groups. That doesn't make them a white supremacist.  Any white that doesn't agree with all woke agenda is considered a "racist." They are all just labels and nowadays are meaningless.  Being labeled as a racist could mean anything but that. Nobody has suffered more that Jews. Nobody lost 6 million innocent people in the holocaust but Jews. I don't believe that Jews should hate Germans as all Germans weren't guilty of slaughtering innocent Jews or others.  Jews take care of each other and have survived as a result disregarding insane descrimination and hate. Slavery in this country goes much farther back in time past the last holocaust and slaves were brought to the colonies by Dutch, Spanish, English, and Portugese after being sold by black slave merchants that had been doing that business for 2,000 years prior with the Arabs and other tribes.  The people in the North American colonies accepting slaves were English, not southern or even American 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Lets get this thread back on track.

My brother just flew from Munich to Charlotte and he says all the signage there is just Charlotte, just like Los Angeles or Chicago   there is no NC added to it.

Indeed that’s how it should be! In this day and age if you don’t know your geography or destinations  just look it up on your phone! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've never seen any foreign airport outside of Canada that adds a state abbreviation next to a city name on the flight information display boards...nothing really to do with Charlotte and how it is perceived. Outside of the U.S., Mexico, Canada, and Australia, most countries have no concept of state/provincial/canton-level abbreviations in everyday vernacular. 

It would be weird to see a Lufthansa flight to Heringsdorf signed as Heringsdorf, MV in a German airport. 

Charlotte is just Charlotte because it's directly implied that it's in North Carolina in the United States. The NC is needed for most North Americans (per the AP style guidelines) because of its confusion with Charleston, Charlottesville, etc. 

No German is going to look at the flight information display for a flight to Charlotte and think to themself "hmmm that flight must be going to Charlottetown in Canada."

Edited by LKN704
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:

It's interesting to compare Munich, Frankfurt and Charlotte.  Unsurprisingly, the 2 German cities are much denser than Charlotte, yet the metro areas of the 3 cities appear to be similar in scale. 

The Charlotte metro is 94.17% as large as Munich's metro;  the Frankfurt metro is 93.27% as large as Munich's metro.   

Historically, Charlotte's namesake was a German princess, Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who became the Queen Consort of Great Britain and Ireland in 1761, seven years before Charlotte's incorporation in 1768.

City                                             City Pop.                                                                   Density                                 Metro Pop.                                                                                                  City Rank 

Munich                                     1,487,708   (as of 12/31/2021)                   12,000/sq mi                     2,926,802   (2020 OECD metropolitan areas)                      3rd in Germany   

Charlotte                                    897,720   (as of 7/1/2022)                            2,837/sq mi                      2,756,069  (2022 US Census Bureau pop. est.)                    5th in Germany

Frankfurt                                    759,224   (as of 12/31/2021)                      7,900/sq mi                      2,729,936  (2020 OECD metropolitan areas)                       15th in the USA

Links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

City Hall At The Marienplatz In Munich Germany Stock Photo - Download Image  Now - Munich, Germany, Marienplatz - iStock

Image of Munich - City Hall at the Marienplatz  -  iStock

47,000+ Frankfurt Germany Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images -  iStock | Frankfurt germany market, Frankfurt germany skyline, Frankfurt  germany aerial

Image of Frankfurt skyline - iStock

Charlotte North Carolina Uptown Downtown Aerial View Stock Photo - Download  Image Now - iStock

Image of Charlotte - iStock

To be honest, Charlotte seems much larger than Frankfort. My son lives  there and I go frequently.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2023 at 6:46 AM, davidclt said:

For 2023, Charlotte remains in the running with the three Canadian cities (Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver) clustering at the top. We are neighbors with Portland, San Francisco, Boston and Minneapolis crossing 90 and Indianapolis right below/behind us.

The world’s most liveable cities in 2023 (economist.com)

image.thumb.png.1208b8206d815cde0c7876800b18b063.png

That's extremely good company to be in, and possibly the only time we'd get compared to some of those cities.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 3:55 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

You lose all credibility for everything you say when you say:

There seems to be a race war going with predominantly one race (the fewer the better). Where are the peace talks?”

There’s no place for those views in our society. And please stop crying. I can’t stand when people play victim. “Oh, I said the fewer black people the better and now people are mean to me for my beliefs - I’m so targeted”. Stfu with that bull. 

I'll mail you some hankies so you can have a good cry. 

Edited by Larry Singer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some light-hearted Charlotte related news. 

One of “our” (DC) “Real Housewives” star that has been on the show for quite a few seasons got her big break working at the Uptown Cabaret and she mentions Charlotte (and Miami sometimes but mostly Charlotte) as where she reps quite often in the show. She claims she wasn’t a “stripper” but an “entertainer” (the reason she doesn’t call her self a stripper is because they served steak there lol. And apparently places that serve steak are entertainers rather than strippers?)

She posted this picture on “X” and I definitely recognized that skyline. Though she didn’t mention or call it out. She still lives in Maryland. 

Edit: (Real Housewives of Potomac is a reality show on Bravo following the lives of several women in the DC area. For those who don’t know) 

IMG_0766.thumb.jpeg.91f9ac134ddffdb17bf82c99cc860ef9.jpeg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 1:38 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Some light-hearted Charlotte related news. 

One of “our” (DC) “Real Housewives” star that has been on the show for quite a few seasons got her big break working at the Uptown Cabaret and she mentions Charlotte (and Miami sometimes but mostly Charlotte) as where she reps quite often in the show. She claims she wasn’t a “stripper” but an “entertainer” (the reason she doesn’t call her self a stripper is because they served steak there lol. And apparently places that serve steak are entertainers rather than strippers?)

She posted this picture on “X” and I definitely recognized that skyline. Though she didn’t mention or call it out. She still lives in Maryland. 

Edit: (Real Housewives of Potomac is a reality show on Bravo following the lives of several women in the DC area. For those who don’t know) 

IMG_0766.thumb.jpeg.91f9ac134ddffdb17bf82c99cc860ef9.jpeg

Dang - she could entertain me anytime!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

^ My wife was visiting family in Scotland in July. She saw a kiosk and decided to get some for the fam. They were very impressed with them, but they were roughly the same price (after currency conversion). I guess the third trashiest NC snack (after 1) pork rinds and 2) moon-pies) has become a luxury item elsewhere in the anglosphere.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ My wife was visiting family in Scotland in July. She saw a kiosk and decided to get some for the fam. They were very impressed with them, but they were roughly the same price (after currency conversion). I guess the third trashiest NC snack (after 1) pork rinds and 2) moon-pies) has become a luxury item elsewhere in the anglosphere.

You forgot about our biggest, trashiest legacy: tobacco

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kermit said:

I know Honey Buns are a top 5 NC snack

• Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 9:58 AM, CLT Development said:

Graham Street is NCDOT and they have denied stoplights, pedestrian crossings, pedestrian refuge islands and all of the other solutions that Camp North End has begged for. They would kill for people to walk to Camp. There is no lobbying, they want Graham to be a 45+mph road.

Tell that to the cop who pulled me over for going 45 then. 

On 6/20/2023 at 5:07 PM, Larry Singer said:

To be honest, Charlotte seems much larger than Frankfort. My son lives  there and I go frequently.

Yeah Frankfort KY is not a big city. 

On 9/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, Windsurfer said:

You forgot about our biggest, trashiest legacy: tobacco

I wish more tobacco farmers in the state would focus on cigars or pipe tobacco. Leave the cigarettes in Winston or Richmond. 

• Haha 1