Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

• 3 weeks later...

Not a good perception for our state

https://indyweek.com/news/northcarolina/north-carolina-worst-place-to-work/

The minimum wage is so low in North Carolina that a single mom would need to work 80 hours across four jobs to cover the basic costs of a family of four.

Why did the Old North State rank so abysmally? Surely, a state that routinely rakes in high rankings on "best places to live" lists can't be treating its workers like garbage, right? 

But that's precisely what's happening. Beyond legalizing a poverty wage (compounded by rising housing costs), North Carolina provides workers with few protections, including zero accommodations for pregnant workers, no paid family leave, and no state laws protecting victims of sexual harassment. Existing "right to work" laws suppress the state's labor unions, which are prohibited for public sector employees, meaning teachers are unable to collectively bargain for better pay or benefits.

And North Carolina is far from alone: regionally, the Southeast ranked far behind the rest of the country in terms of working conditions. The West Coast, New England, and Mideast ranked closely at the top while The Plains, Rocky Mountains, Southwest, and Great Lakes scored somewhere in the middle.  

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, C4252 said:

Tonight after the Panthers beat the Jets, I decided to explore the Uptown scene with some friends. I ran into some  sour Jets fans from NYC. They were very kind, however, and bought my friend and I beers. They shared that they were retired NYPD officers who were at Ground Zero during the 9/11 attacks. 

Anyhow, they were in awe of how much of a “neat town” Charlotte is and how it is “vastly overrated.” They we’re also very impressed with BOA Stadium. They said they’ll be back and tel their NYC clientele about how much they enjoyed the city. Very cool! 

Did you mean underrated? 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 5:33 PM, nakers2 said:

As much as I beotch about the heat, I’ve never had the heat make me depressed. I can’t stand the gloomy, snow free winter.

Hate Piedmont summers more each year.  As a snow lover,  I actually feel more alive in winter. Why? I get to get my hopes up over and over that snow will actually fall in  Concord!! That childlike hope turns into hate for winters in the Piedmont normally. But at least I'm not taking 3 showers a day. Plus, at some point a few flakes manage to fall. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Texas is the fastest growing state by percentage of the top 30 most populated states.  as I say people vote with their feet.  Houston has one of the best museum districts in the country.  Houston Museum District (houmuse.org)     Dallas has the largest light rail system in the nation by far plus commuter rail and a huge expressway and freeway system.  But to each his own.  But it is the fastest growing state of the top 30 someone is moving there and staying.  Growing at more than 2x the rate of California in the last census.  But I am sure some Texans would love a few less Californians to move to their state.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I still cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would want to move to Texas. 

I've ranted about my confusion about + disdain for Austin in a multi-paragraph post about a year or so ago, and my hatred for the place (and the state!) has intensified over the last year or so. I wonder how long all the Californians who moved there within the past couple of years will last. I had a friend move to Dallas from LA about a month ago and he is already complaining how bad the roads and general infrastructure is compared to California (that's what happens when there isn't a state income tax). Two other friends who moved to Houston from SF last year are already moving back to the Bay Area. Sure, the cost of living is lower and there are lower taxes, but at what cost? California you have so many cultural attractions, great outdoor things to do, and a wonderful climate. I would pick the high cost of living in LA or SF over Texas any day. 

I'm biased maybe because I really don't like the South (except for Charlotte and Charleston) for a myriad of reasons (weather, politics, culture), but Texas truly is the icing on the cake. 

I have to agree.  I remember my windsurfing club organized a trip down there about 25 years ago.  A dozen of us loaded up the vans and trailers and drove 25 hours to areas near Houston (Texas City and dikes for example) in order to windsurf the "famous winds we get here".  Maybe it was Texas boasting, but even the winds were lame. I vividly recall parking along the dikes and ignoring the "Hazardous Chemical Spill Area signs"  in order launch.  After a couple of days of this, and areas near Corpus Cristi, we packed it in, returned home and spent the next week cleaning oil stains off our gear.  

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 2:10 PM, Phillydog said:

Sadly, not a single mention that their "South Carolina" campus is in the Charlotte metro.  If it were in a suburb of Atlanta, or Austin, or Nashville,  or New York, they would have have said something like, "it's campus, outside of _____".  Instead, the non-Carolina reader could imagine that this is near Charleston.  

That's expected of the "resides in an insular silo" NY Times. They disrespect every Southern major city except Atlanta, Miami, and New Orleans. It's strange how the AP has yet shifted its style of reporting on here from "Charlotte, N.C." to simply "Charlotte". It's coming because we're going to be in the top 20 largest metro areas and demographic market areas (DMA) by the close of this decade. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kayman said:

That's expected of the "resides in an insular silo" NY Times. They disrespect every Southern major city except Atlanta, Miami, and New Orleans. It's strange how the AP has yet shifted its style of reporting on here from "Charlotte, N.C." to simply "Charlotte". It's coming because we're going to be in the top 20 largest metro areas and demographic market areas (DMA) by the close of this decade. 

AP hasn't changed as far as I've seen. Their datelines for stories here still use Charlotte N.C., and mentions in-line use Charlotte, North Carolina.  

There is only one Atlanta, Miami, or New Orleans. 

There is Charlotte, Charlottesville, Charlottetown, Charlotte County FL. The Char is commonly confused with Charleston SC or Charleston WV. 

I agree that Charlotte is most likely synonymous with Charlotte, NC, but there are large swaths of people that probably think Charlotte is in SC or elsewhere, thus the NC is needed. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LKN704 said:

There is Charlotte, Charlottesville, Charlottetown, Charlotte County FL. The Char is commonly confused with Charleston SC or Charleston WV. 

I agree that Charlotte is most likely synonymous with Charlotte, NC, but there are large swaths of people that probably think Charlotte is in SC or elsewhere, thus the NC is needed. 

There's a couple places named  Atlanta and Miami, so that's not a strong enough reason. New Orleans is the only one of its name for a place.  Those other places are not even really close and it's border-line lazy on the AP's part to allow Charlotte to be confused with Charleston or Charlottesville.  They should drop the "N.C." or "North Carolina" from describing Charlotte. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kayman said:

There's a couple places named  Atlanta and Miami, so that's not a strong enough reason. New Orleans is the only one of its name for a place.  Those other places are not even really close and it's border-line lazy on the AP's part to allow Charlotte to be confused with Charleston or Charlottesville.  They should drop the "N.C." or "North Carolina" from describing Charlotte. 

yep Atlanta Texas

City of Atlanta, Texas - Official Website (atlantatexas.org)

and Miami County OH 

Miami County, OH - Official Website | Official Website

and of course Miami University which is a long way from the tropics

Top 100 Best Value | Miami University (miamioh.edu)

the largest Charlotte outside of Charlotte NC is Charlotte Michigan a whole 9088 people.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I agree that Charlotte is most likely synonymous with Charlotte, NC, but there are large swaths of people that probably think Charlotte is in SC or elsewhere, thus the NC is 

The "Char" explanation is getting lame.  Also, people who don't know Charlotte is in NC probably don't realize New Orleans is in Louisiana, Atlanta is in Georgia or Milwaukee is in Wisconisn.  It's irrelevant, in some ways, because theses cities are large enough to stand on their own.  Chicago is not Illinois, New York is not New York.  Is Miami, "Florida"?

• Like 3

I sincerely mean no offense to anyone who feels strongly about this topic but...I simply can't get worked up about whether "NC" is added after Charlotte or not in newspapers. There are other well known cities treated similarly (Tampa, Austin, Nashville, Portland, KC and Orlando are six prominent examples). More to the point, I think Charlotte is more frequently mis-located than any other top 25 city. It's definitely true that more people know Atlanta is in Georgia than know Charlotte is in North Carolina. Nothing represents our infamous inferiority complex more than caring about "NC" being printed after Charlotte...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^ Yeah you gotta remember… generally people don’t like thinking too hard so they stop processing names after Char unless there’s N.C. after it…

*sarcasm here but sadly I wouldn’t say it’s entirely untrue*
  • Haha 1