John McCain for President

Charlotteman

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shouldn't "government meddling and subsidies" benefit the American people, rather than megacorporations? If we end the free ride we're giving oil companies through tax breaks and subsidies, they'll have more incentive to invest in more stable sources of energy, especially if these investments are themselves subsidized. In the short term, the removal of oil subsidies will increase consumer prices, and i would absolutely be in favor of a gas tax holiday to cushion that blow. Most Americans are already sacrificing more than they should for the greed of the elite.

In 1979, Jimmy Carter signed an executive order to reduce oil imports to that of 1977 and then permanently limit them to that level from then on. There were also a concerted effort put forth for energy alternatives. Almost all of that including the limit on oil imports was disbandend and eliminated by the Reagan/Bush administration in the 1980s. If we had instead stuck to the Carter programs we would be in a much much much much better position today.

As the price of oil passes $115/barrel for the first time, numerous sources are reporting a sharp drop in demand for expensive gasoline. Compared to last year, demand has dropped 1 percent in each of the past four weeks (this is a huge drop when considering the size of the industry). Yet more sharp jumps in cost are projected for the forseeable future.

Anyone who would describe himself as even marginally conservative would look at this situation and see something dramatically wrong with the free-market system when an industry experiences a sharp drop in demand and uniformly shifts prices sharply upward at the same time. This should mean that a very sharp drop in demand is just around the corner, as consumers flee from a product that is becoming increasingly overpriced while it becomes increasingly less desirable. This is all very basic economics and reveals just how dramatically the system has been rigged to favor oil profits at all costs.

What McCain is proposing, is that the government use its power to further increase profit margins by artificially increasing demand, even in spite of the obviously demand-stifling conditions described above. In other words, he's rewarding Big Oil for setting price points beyond what the market will bear. And in order to make that happen, he is going to dramatically reduce tax flow during a period of massive financial strain on the federal government. I simply cannot believe that conservatives of any stripe would buy into such a patently irresponsible and un-capitalist plan. The fact that this flies under the radar without any apparent criticism in the media... it's just mind-boggling.

While I am not a republican or a supporter of John McCain, I am amazed by his come back. I thought his campaign was dead in the primaries and I was sure that either Romney or Guiliani would have the nomination. Its a clear example why John McCain cant be under-estimated and the democrats need to go ahead and rally behind Obama and end all the silliness because John McCain will win in November if the democrats dont get their act together.

McCain's comeback, while certainly remarkable, was due far more to the weakness of all the other Republican nominees than to any strength of McCain's. The GOP nomination should have been Guiliani's, but his campaign committed political suicide by sitting out all the early contests to await bigger contests later. By the time those contests came around, people had virtually forgotten he was running. Romney lost the Evangelical vote due to his religion, Huckabee was a joke to everyone but the Evangelicals, and the other GOP candidates appealed only to fringe groups within the party. McCain, whose campaign was completely stalled, got the nomination by default. McCain was and is the strongest of the GOP contenders as far as the general election goes, but in the end the party selected him in spite of themselves.

Regarding November, I'm not worried about the Democrats getting their act together. The absolute worst case scenario is that the Dems don't have a nominee until the convention. That still leaves nearly three months until the general election, a lifetime in modern politics. Think back to the hot political topics of late January. Feels like ancient history, doesn't it? By election day, Obama vs. Clinton will be just as dated, and the Democratic nominee will have had plenty of time to capitalize on McCain's many weaknesses.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some personal observations:

Johnny McCain is now kissing unscrupulous Karl Rove's butt.....the very individual that smeared his candidacy in 2000. He brought in religious nut cases John Hagee and Rod Parsley into his campaign. (then dumped them)

He's continuing to put audiences to sleep at every stop. And he is now picking on Jimmy Carter of all things!

Can the man do anything right? At this point, I feel this election is Obama's to lose.

Some personal observations:

Johnny McCain is now kissing unscrupulous Karl Rove's butt.....the very individual that smeared his candidacy in 2000. He brought in religious nut cases John Hagee and Rod Parsley into his campaign. (then dumped them)

He's continuing to put audiences to sleep at every stop. And he is now picking on Jimmy Carter of all things!

Can the man do anything right? At this point, I feel this election is Obama's to lose.

• 2 weeks later...

McCain ~~~ fLiP~~~fLoP~~~ alert:

A few years ago, Johnnie McCain worked directly with Teddy Kennedy on an immigration plan known as "McCain/Kennedy Bill". But now he has said that if the bill came up he would vote against it.........his own bill.

Either the man's brain is scrambled, or he's the most blatant hack seen in politics in a long time. This is entering the realm of the absurd.

Lets remember the John McCain is basically Bob Dole, Act II. Dole was also severely injured during WWII and that was played up like McCain's POW status during the Vietnam War. Dole got the nomination because he was the most senior member of the GOP running for the position as is McCain. Both got there because their GOP "competition" was so bad. Dole was the first GOP nominee to run after a Bush Presidency and so is McCain.

Archived