John McCain for President

Charlotteman

The splinters of the Republican party are further becoming unglued. Once it's completely broken apart, we might actually have something effective come in its place. Until then, grab popcorn and enjoy the show.

My guess with Huckabee in WA, once you get past the whole I-5 corridor, that's probably his spot... everything away from the coast.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone catch McCain on CNN discussing how he feels about an offer from Karl Rove to give him advice? I like McCain as a person, by the way, but he was so obviously forced to say that he would accpet the advice from someone that 'obviously is one of the best political minds' in recent elections. He did manage to slip in what Rove did to him in South Carolina a few years back -- an obvious lingering sore spot.

This just shows more backlash from GOP past to GOP present. Though I'm sure this campaign will get plenty nasty, I almost wonder if the Rovian politics of smear and clear are over. I really hope so. The bitter people need to leave their place in politics. The main thing I do like about McCain is he doesn't seem like one of these people to me.

^ I think what we are seeing in this election is a very strong backlash to Rove et al.'s political-machine approach to elections. In past years we would've seen Hillary and Romney romp right through Super Tuesday and already be making moves toward the general election. The fact that Hillary is being surpassed by Obama, and McCain is fending off Huckabee, suggests that there will be a change in tone for this election -- more emphasis on personality and leadership, less emphasis on scandal and cynicism.

^ I think what we are seeing in this election is a very strong backlash to Rove et al.'s political-machine approach to elections. In past years we would've seen Hillary and Romney romp right through Super Tuesday and already be making moves toward the general election. The fact that Hillary is being surpassed by Obama, and McCain is fending off Huckabee, suggests that there will be a change in tone for this election -- more emphasis on personality and leadership, less emphasis on scandal and cynicism.

McCain beat out Huckabee last night and while that would seem to be good news for McCain, I think he has a much much bigger problem on his hands.

Virginia was an open election. That means that independents could vote in either primary. Now keep in mind, Virginia is a Red state and one would have expected the independents to have voted for McCain. Didn't happen. They all went to Obama who got a staggering number of votes compared to McCain. In fact Obama got 100,000 more votes than all of the votes that McCain, Huckabee, and the rest of the GOP field combined. Add to that that even Hillary got more votes than McCain, this in a red state, and I see a complete rout of the GOP coming this fall.

Gosh just compare the speeches of McCain vs Obama last night. McCain's speech was downright depressing given it's calls for more of the same and there is no such thing as hope. What exactly is he thinking?

I watched this speach. That is where I got the idea. The thing he said (from your link) was this "To encourage a country with only rhetoric rather than sound and proven ideas that trust in the strength and courage of free people is not a promise of hope. It is a platitude. "

Clearly he is referring to Obama's inspiring speeches about hope for the future. In comparison, McCain has said the jobs are gone, not coming back, illegals are here to stay, and we may be at war with Iraq for 100 years.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that McCain's "victory speech" was beyond depressing. If this is going to be a typical campaign performance for him, McCain is in serious trouble.

That speech last night made Bob Dole's 1996 appearances look positively exciting in comparison.

If anything the "platitude" remark should be taken as an early indicator of how McCain will approach the general election. He's already beginning to flank Obama's positions by accusing him of making shallow and unattainable promises; in typical GOP fashion he's going to try and push the "pipe-dream liberal" angle while offering a more sober and conservative plan of action.

Whether this is right or wrong is a matter of opinion, but I believe it's the only chance he has at beating Obama head-to-head. Over in the other thread there have already been comments to the effect that Hillary has a more realistic and grounded approach than Obama, who tends to speak in terms of sweeping change. That's where the GOP will try and undermine him, and it's already begun in the quote above.

Archived