Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

There is no use for a Target in Uptown when there is one in Midtown. 

There actually is, Many people live Uptown with very limited options for a quick stop for common items. If they were building a target uptown it would be a mini target, solely for common items that uptown residents need on a daily basis.

Edited by Cadi40
  • Like 4

I'd kind of like to see a Dollar General Express in Uptown. Downtown Raleigh has one and it is pretty nice and convenient. It was like a CVS, but without the pharmacy portion. It was definitely not dumpy like traditional dollar general stores often are. Not so much in this location though. It'd be better suited somewhere like the base of one of the Skyhouse towers.

Edited by Niner National
  • Like 2

Target fell through in downtown Columbia. It was going to be in an unbelievably prime location right next to the CBD and USC. Two blocks from the capitol.

However, like I said before, target wants to focus on developing a urban format stores and they have heavily talked about uptown and South end as options. Just don't be surprised if you see a new one with one of these big projects. ;)

• Like 1

^^^ I have been in a City Target the one on Franklin St in downtown Chapel Hill. It most certainly can compete with an existing full sized Target in the Metropolitan.  It is basically an oversized Walgreens. It had some food, pharmacy, cosmetics, and some student supplies like paper, notebooks etc.  It more like a Walgreens than it is like a big box Target.  They did have a few and mean a few clothing items but not many.  They had some seasonal items too. 

• Like 2

Don't underestimate the power of a city target haha.  This one recently opened in my old neighborhood in Boston and truly was a great catalyst for the area.  All those smaller retail spots leased pretty quickly thereafter.  I think it looks like something that would fit in nicely in this project.  You'd also be surprised how much of a draw Target is for foreign tourists.  And yeah there is one in Midtown and you still have to drive to it realistically.  

Target.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cha said:

Don't underestimate the power of a city target haha.  This one recently opened in my old neighborhood in Boston and truly was a great catalyst for the area.  All those smaller retail spots leased pretty quickly thereafter.  I think it looks like something that would fit in nicely in this project.  You'd also be surprised how much of a draw Target is for foreign tourists.  And yeah there is one in Midtown and you still have to drive to it realistically.  

Target.png

I agree with you that a city target would be something that would allow other retailers to get a foot hold due to increased foot traffic caused by the Target. A city Target in uptown Charlotte would almost have a monopoly on running every day errands (within walking distance) so I think it would do well.

As I said before though, unfortunately, it will not happen in this project because the biggest retail space even if you combined multiple retail spaces could only be about 7,000 SF. I bet a smaller target would at least need 15,000 - 20,000SF

1 hour ago, JSquare said:

I agree with you that a city target would be something that would allow other retailers to get a foot hold due to increased foot traffic caused by the Target. A city Target in uptown Charlotte would almost have a monopoly on running every day errands (within walking distance) so I think it would do well.

As I said before though, unfortunately, it will not happen in this project because the biggest retail space even if you combined multiple retail spaces could only be about 7,000 SF. I bet a smaller target would at least need 15,000 - 20,000SF

They do have 12,000 sq foot stores, but yea... I don't think people should be talking about this being a possibility at Tryon Place. Maybe Legacy Union, but definitely not Tryon Place.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article192835799.html

Ely had a great article today about retail in the center city. The most prominent person who weighs in is Brian Leary who, while he isn't deciding the fate of his developments retail any longer, knows quite a bit. So based on his comments they are focused on signing stores with Social Media Clout.

I'd imagine target brands would include the following:

• Apple
• Microsoft Store 
• The Body Shop
• REI
• Patagonia/Orvis
• Game Stop
• H&M
• Lululemon
• Sephora

Edited by Guest

Hate to go off topic but if the Publix falls through at 10 N Tryon a City Target would be awesome at that location.  

Back to topic, when will we finally find out the hotel operator?  I thought we were suppose to know something by the end of the year?

The city Target I described in Chapel Hill is 22,000 sq ft.  Here is a photo I took of the outside last summer.  Northwood Ravin developed the apartments above it. 

I do think it would be seen an amenity for tenants of any office building or apartment complex.  More like a just neighborhood store.   They are also building one on Hillsborough St across from NC State in Raleigh.   I think it would do great in uptown Charlotte but landing an Apple store would be a more regional draw.  

DSCN4058.JPG

DSCN4057.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They do have 12,000 sq foot stores, but yea... I don't think people should be talking about this being a possibility at Tryon Place. Maybe Legacy Union, but definitely not Tryon Place.

This is probably a bit of a stretch, but the individual I spoke with in regards to a Target Uptown gave very vague information,  however I jokingly asked if it was gonna be at Trade and Tryon to which they replied "well it's gonna be Tryon something" take that for what it's worth. This was about six months ago, and I am literally giving all the information I can short of names. It was in my retail location class and I was able to confirm the "plans" with my GM at Target prior to my *ahem* departure from the company. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Hate to go off topic but if the Publix falls through at 10 N Tryon a City Target would be awesome at that location.  

Back to topic, when will we finally find out the hotel operator?  I thought we were suppose to know something by the end of the year?

Should not be too much longer. 

30 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

This is probably a bit of a stretch, but the individual I spoke with in regards to a Target Uptown gave very vague information,  however I jokingly asked if it was gonna be at Trade and Tryon to which they replied "well it's gonna be Tryon something" take that for what it's worth. This was about six months ago, and I am literally giving all the information I can short of names. It was in my retail location class and I was able to confirm the "plans" with my GM at Target prior to my *ahem* departure from the company. 

I am sure it will be Tryon some place just not Tryon Place lol. I think it would do better on the North side after Market 42 is built. The south side is going to be getting crowded with Whole Foods and whatever retailers open up in TP and Legacy Union. 

• Like 1

I am sure it will be Tryon some place just not Tryon Place lol. I think it would do better on the North side after Market 42 is built. The south side is going to be getting crowded with Whole Foods and whatever retailers open up in TP and Legacy Union. 

Building on the north end of uptown could also ease some cannibalization from the midtown store. I think 10 Tryon would be an awesome location and add much more value than Publix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Not to be a downer. I know how we all love mixed use, but economically retail isn't a viable option.  2017 was a catastrophic year for retail stores.  Simon even sued to keep starbucks from closing teavanna stores.  Maybe more office, resturant, and office?  Don't mind that as long as the architecture is not value-engineered. 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/26/news/companies/retail-toughest-year-store-closings/index.html

10 hours ago, mpretori said:

Not to be a downer. I know how we all love mixed use, but economically retail isn't a viable option.  2017 was a catastrophic year for retail stores.  Simon even sued to keep starbucks from closing teavanna stores.  Maybe more office, resturant, and office?  Don't mind that as long as the architecture is not value-engineered. 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/26/news/companies/retail-toughest-year-store-closings/index.html

Not to be argumentative but we are not talking about stores like radio shack and toysRus. I think we can all agree that stores like that are a no go. We are discussing useful retail on a smaller scale. I think the savior for a lot of retail like Target could be strategically  placing smaller stores that carry a changing inventory of goods based on the local markets needs. 

I am a big believe in technology and moving forward but I do not believe that retail is dead. I think it is moving through a transition period that will weed out the bloated companies and hopefully stores will learn to adapt to the new environment. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Just because some retails aren’t economically viable doesn’t mean that all are. Placing a huge Sears in the middle of Uptown wouldn’t be smart but stores that are pretty popular like a H&M or Forever 21 would be smart.

"Fashion retailer H&M said on Friday sales had fallen during the last three months as fewer shoppers visited its stores, sending its shares plummeting and underlining its struggle to adapt to a shift of business online. Shares in the world’s second largest fashion retailer fell 13% to their lowest level since 2009.

The Swedish group said sales in the September-November period were far below its own expectations. It plans to speed up efforts to adjust to changes in the market, including closing more H&M stores and opening fewer new ones, and start selling the brand through Chinese online platform Tmall."

http://fortune.com/2017/12/15/h-m-store-closing/

Edited by CLT2014

13 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Just because some retails aren’t economically viable doesn’t mean that all are. Placing a huge Sears in the middle of Uptown wouldn’t be smart but stores that are pretty popular like a H&M or Forever 21 would be smart.

This seems like a very vague and unsubstantiated statement.  It is easy to say Sears "wouldn't be smart" when they are literally dying as a brand, and that H&M or Forever 21 "would be smart" when they have had more recent success than Sears; but aside from the obvious, what do you consider "economically viable" and "smart"?  I am not as sold on the idea of H&M and Forever 21 as so many other are.  Bankers aren't going to shop at these places like they might at an Apple or Microsoft store, and shopping alone is a long way from the critical mass it will need to be a destination Uptown in and of itself.  If you truly want retail to be a destination in and of itself in Uptown, then you need to start with retail that the current Uptown demographic can support.  As those business prove their viability, and as more and more residents live Uptown, then maybe you can create more destination retail.  Developers (most) are smart.  They don't use the Field of Dreams mantra of "If you build it, they will come".

Edited by J-Rob

Well,

uptown has zero soft good places and just a tiny teet’ and a few drug stores with a population projected to be  20,000+ by 2020.

Thats more than Davidson. Uptown & SouthEnd are more populated than Cornelius. 

Lincolnton has 11,000 people

Belmont has 11,000 people

southend is nearing 10,000

Pineville is 9,000

And you’re telling me all uptown can support is a micro teet, CVS, Walgreens & 7-11 because retail is dying? 

I realize that target is a short drive away. But it’s serving SouthEnd, Uptown, Dilworth, Plaza, NoDa, etc.  Starts to add up to a lot of people for just 1 little targé

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

And you’re telling me all uptown can support is a micro teet, CVS, Walgreens & 7-11 because retail is dying? 

Lol, was that directed to me?  My point is the current Uptown demographic shops at Brooks Brothers and Jos. A. Bank, not Forever 21.  Teeter, CVS, Walgreens & 7-11 are irrelevant to that discussion.  I am all for retail, if it is smart retail.    I didn't say anything about retail in general dying.  My point is that while Uptown definitely needs more retail, you don't need to (at this point) add a bunch of retail whose (primary) target demographic is high school and college age kids.  Developers will add retail that professionals living Uptown, many of which are sophisticated and highly paid, will support. 

Target is also irrelevant to talking about the appropriate demographic.  Target serves all demographics, particularly those in Uptown.

Edited by J-Rob