Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Possibly  an H&M or Forever 21, I am still holding out for a mini Belks, or maybe an Apple store (look where their 2 locations are in Charlotte now and this is would be in the middle of those 2 at Northlake Mall and SouthPark mall)    Apple has sniffed around SouthEnd from previous reports.  Maybe a Mens Wearhouse. Luckily we wont get a Sbarro (they are closing up stores)    Nashville downtown is getting an H&M downtown and there is one in downtown Savannah already (both more tourist draws but still uptown has higher daytime population, more residents living intown than both those cities).   Apple stores increasingly are opening stores in streetfront locations what better location than south Tryon.   Everything I am mentioning could be possible in either Tryon Place or Legacy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am still holding out for a mini Belk

I know they are not as glamorous but I was recently at the Kohl's Waxhaw and a store like that would be perfect for Uptown.  Unsure about other Kohl's but this one was clean and organized.  It had the typical name brands like Nike and Levis but more importantly, it had home goods.   The lack of a store that sold things for the home was always something that frustrated me living in Downtown San Diego.  Sometimes you just need a coffee maker or wine glasses and don't want to get in a car to drive somewhere to get them.  

• Like 1

I like the feel/vibe of downtown H&M's for some reason...from the signage to the music inside.  I know it hasn't been mentioned before here for potential tenants, but I think an upscale makeup place would do well at TP or LU (our wives/significant others would appreciate it).  Like a Sephora (closest one is Northlake and SouthPark).  I think a mini Belk/Target or Nordstrom Rack would satisfy that void as well. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention the mini City Target as a strong possibility as others have said. Due to very high rents for retail space it will likely be well financed chains or very upscale restaurants.  The south Tryon Stonewall corridor could be more of a shopping center for uptown with the Whole Foods lots of residents nearby and the retail at Legacy and Tryon Place.  Sephora would do excellent uptown as well.  As would a shoe store chain and we have two based here in Charlotte (Hint Rack Room and Concord based Shoe Show) why not an uptown store for them?   If one junior anchor like an H&M comes in it will be easier to get a shoe store, a Sephora etc. 

Uptown retail will not be the regional draw it was years ago but can serve the 1000s they live uptown,  near uptown and the approx. 100,000 that work uptown.  

Somewhere uptown I still want a urban format QuikTrip like in Atlanta's midtown no gas pumps. 

• Like 1

I do not think we will see an H&M or a Mini Target. I do not believe the largest retail space in Tryon would be large enough for one of those stores.  An apple store however.... 

We will probably not see a H&M until a two floor retail development comes about. 

10 minutes ago, JSquare said:

I do not think we will see an H&M or a Mini Target. I do not believe the largest retail space in Tryon would be large enough for one of those stores.  An apple store however.... 

We will probably not see a H&M until a two floor retail development comes about. 

I think you will get your wish for two floor retail development at Legacy Union. Though based on this, theres about 200,000 sq feet of ground space left undeveloped.

image.thumb.png.cc1c5dfe6f396d6566dd0c73551ad032.png

I know it's a tried and true gripe on here, but a legitimate "shopping street" would kill in Uptown, King Street in Charleston comes to mind, they have an H&M, Apple Store, Forever 21, one of the coolest Urban Outfitters I have been in, and many other national retailers, along with local "mom and pop" stores. It reminds me a lot of shopping streets in European cities, minus the car traffic on King it reminds me almost perfectly of the Meir in Antwerp, Belgium. I think Tryon Street could fill this role in Uptown with Tryon Place and Legacy being the bookend on the south side of Uptown and the new development near the Discovery Place as the northern bookend. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I know it's a tried and true gripe on here, but a legitimate "shopping street" would kill in Uptown, King Street in Charleston comes to mind, they have an H&M, Apple Store, Forever 21, one of the coolest Urban Outfitters I have been in, and many other national retailers, along with local "mom and pop" stores. It reminds me a lot of shopping streets in European cities, minus the car traffic on King it reminds me almost perfectly of the Meir in Antwerp, Belgium. I think Tryon Street could fill this role in Uptown with Tryon Place and Legacy being the bookend on the south side of Uptown and the new development near the Discovery Place as the northern bookend. 

I have mentioned this before, I think it would be good in south end

2 minutes ago, southslider said:

Uptown workers don't shop like Charleston tourists. 

Not saying it's the only draw, but I think we'd see far fewer tourists on King Street if it weren't lined with shops. SOME Uptown workers, visitors, convention attendees, weekenders, Uptown residents, Panthers, Knights and Hornets fans, Speedweek, Charlotte Pride, and parade spectators, concertgoers, nightlife crowds would all patronize these businesses if they come, and if they stay open till a reasonable hour. Provide *some* inexpensive or free parking, and create clearly marked connections to transit and they will be successful and I can almost guarantee it will have fringe effects as well, most notably foot traffic and the embrace of transit by people who would otherwise reject it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

Denver has the 16th Street Mall, a pedestrian-only (with the exception of a free bus that takes you up and down 16th St) shopping street in downtown Denver that is one block over, running parallel to their main office street, 17th St. It attracts tons of shoppers. Charlotte is obviously lacking in a lot of areas that cities of similar population and CBD sizes excel in. Charlotte is behind, but at least it’s slowly improving.

I think Brevard would be a good candidate for a shopping street. Especially if the bus terminal relocates one day. Plenty of undeveloped land.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Denver has the 16th Street Mall, a pedestrian-only (with the exception of a free bus that takes you up and down 16th St) shopping street in downtown Denver that is one block over, running parallel to their main office street, 17th St. It attracts tons of shoppers. Charlotte is obviously lacking in a lot of areas that cities of similar population and CBD sizes excel in. Charlotte is behind, but at least it’s slowly improving.

I think Brevard would be a good candidate for a shopping street. Especially if the bus terminal relocates one day. Plenty of undeveloped land.

I appreciate your acknowledgment that Charlotte has made rapid strides. When I first visited Charlotte, back around 1985, Uptown was essentially an office park ringed by parking lots. And to get to the Overstreet Mall from Belk's, you entered the skywalk by pulling aside a threadbare curtain.

The HoF among several other buildings kill the Brevard dream. All major retail needs to go along Stonewall. Add bike lanes, trees, benches but no way make it Ped. Only. 

Only a few sections of 1st Ward or maybe  Ward could be ped only. 

Luckily the stonewall projects have yuge decks and light rail and easy vehicle access. That will serve all of center city vs. those in Dilworth who don’t want to go uptown for a Racks Shoes. 

SouthEnd should be preserved for local places. No H&M. Common Markets needs to be in SouthEnd with some national retailers.

SouthEnd should be authentic Charlotte. Visit SouthEnd & NoDa and see/eat/etc authentic Charlotte while you’re visiting Metropolitan uptown where you can shop at Apple, go to your convention, see a Panthers game, etc. 

Uptown is the destination. SouthEnd, NoDa, Plaza should be the funky local additions. Not extensions. No skyscrapers. I cringe every time someone wants SouthEnd to have taller buildings already. There’s too many opportunities uptown as of now

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Hunted said:

We will get there. I believe Tryon place and Legacy Union will help get everything started on the south end of the city. 

My educated guess is Tryon will have 1 large restaurant 1 or 2 smaller food/cafe locations and between 5 & 8 different retail spaces.  Not sure what the plans for Legacy are but along with the space that will come with Tryon Place there could be a nice shopping area on the south side of the city.

Hopefully the north end of uptown will follow in 2-3 years. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Wherever Charlotte decides to develop it's uptown retail, it's sadly not going to be as organic as some cities with a good pre-war building stock. I would love to see it along Tryon because of the more "mature" look of the street, with trees and everything, but realistically the cluster of large bank buildings near the square would break up the flow. 

• Like 1

TRYON-PLACE.thumb.jpg.a15c489ac9b687a8ad1c002b25ce45b8.jpg

This is the most up to date footprint I have for Tryon Place.
Very minimal Lobby Space, which is nice. Please notedD I added what I expect to be the retail/lobby makeup of the hotel. 

1 minute ago, nakers2 said:

Wherever Charlotte decides to develop it's uptown retail, it's sadly not going to be as organic as some cities with a good pre-war building stock. I would love to see it along Tryon because of the more "mature" look of the street, with trees and everything, but realistically the cluster of large bank buildings near the square would break up the flow. 

Well, all that is slowly being corrected. :-)