Tallahassee | Politics

Florida

There is not a single Republican cantidate I would choose to cast my vote for. Once upon a time, I would have glady voted for McCain despite differences in our beliefs simply because he refused to change his opinions to stick with party lines. His having sold out to earn himself more votes makes me bitter, though he certainly isn't the only one to have done so.

I'm torn between Obama and Hillary.

Hillary is definitely the more experienced of the two. The reason people hate her is because she doesn't fit the role typically assigned to women, she isn't feminine enough, she is too outspoken, she acts like a man. Well, she acts the way she had to in order to survive in her world. She would never have made it this far in what is still very much a man's world, without bucking up and playing the game. If nothing else you should respect her intelligence and her ability to thrive despite things that may have otherwise killed her political future.

Obama is a born leader. I think he would make an amazing president...someday. When he speaks publicly (speeches mind you, not debates), it is hard not to believe everything he says. But he doesn't have a lot of experience and he is still pretty young. I think that even mentioning that his middle name is Hussein is ridiculous and irrelevant. If that is the best that his critics can throw at him, they're in pretty bad shape.

Sorry, GG but Edwards doesn't have what it takes to win. He'll end up on the ticket as VP again, because the Dems need some kind of Southern influence on the ticket, but he won't get the nod for President.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Democrats really want the Republicans to win, nominate Hilliary. She is a lightening rod for controversy and divisiveness among Americans. She has the highest disapproval rating of any canidate.

The Democrats are fealing good these days with Bush's low appoval rating. http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

There living in a glass house. The congress lead by Democrats approval rating is no better. http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm

With the Iraq war situation getting slightly better, the Republicans poll numbers are inching up a bit to reflect that.

The Democrats would do better to nominate someone that has a more national appeal rather than what there constituates like. Nationwide people are not going to support a canidate that changes there loyalty when the winds of fortune change. People are going to see right through that.

The last setting Senator elected to the white house was JFK. The last Northen Democrat elected to the White House was also JFK. Before that its was FDR.

Since the end of WWII canidates have to come through the south to get elected. Red states in the south and west are gaining population much faster than blue states. Some blue states will even loose electorial votes after the 2010 census.

This the why I say a canidate needs a more national appeal rather than what the party really wants. Also look at the last Democrats that held the white house, where were they from? Clinton = Arkansas, Carter = Georgia and both where Governors not senators. Before that LBJ and he was also from the south, Texas.

Just some food for thought.

^ I understand. You are an extremely knowledgeable and intelligent voter even if you think the exact opposite way I do. I mean w/out your knowledge, how else would you be able to spin things the way you do? :P Seriously, I wasn't linking you w/Joe Voter would votes only based on a sound bite in a 30 second ad on TV.

In the old days, you could just pull a lever and vote straight down the party line. Can you still do that anywhere now?

Part of the problem is that there are no centrist candidates and have not been for some time. The Republican candidates are too far to the right, and the Democratic candidates are too far to the left. None of the candidates appeal to the average American. Look back in 2004..........Kerry was a very fu-fu liberal Yankee, who did not identify with a lot of Democrats. Hil-dog is the same way, it's hard to identify with her.

One thing I do not continue to understand is why the hell the religious fanatics continue to support the Republican party (abortion? but it's a stupid reason). The Republican party could give a rat's ass about so-called "family values". Why are they fooling themselves? As much as I hate the religious right (you're speaking to a straightforward atheist here)...........why don't they support somebody or some thing that truly represents their values?

Part of the problem is that there are no centrist candidates and have not been for some time. The Republican candidates are too far to the right, and the Democratic candidates are too far to the left. None of the candidates appeal to the average American. Look back in 2004..........Kerry was a very fu-fu liberal Yankee, who did not identify with a lot of Democrats. Hil-dog is the same way, it's hard to identify with her.

One thing I do not continue to understand is why the hell the religious fanatics continue to support the Republican party (abortion? but it's a stupid reason). The Republican party could give a rat's ass about so-called "family values". Why are they fooling themselves? As much as I hate the religious right (you're speaking to a straightforward atheist here)...........why don't they support somebody or some thing that truly represents their values?

I think you're right BHDR that the Democrats take the minority vote for granted. It is a sad fact, but sadder that the Republicans are a much poorer option where most minorities are concerned.

I disagree with Hillary causing more division, her heavy leads in most polls at this point indicate that a lot more people support her than I ever thought possible. She is certainly no more devisive than W., who in my opinion will at some point enter the history books as the worst president in our country's history. It is that fact that I think will pretty much seal the deal for the Democrats in the next election. The Republicans are terribly divided on their nomination, and even many of them agree that W. has done a terrible job.

You're right about the Wal-Mart crowd Poonther, for sure. That's how we ended up in our current situation...people too silly to realize that "the good ole' boy from Texas" was really a Yale-educated Yankee and that his inability to enunciate is really just a lack of intelligence on his part.

I think you're right BHDR that the Democrats take the minority vote for granted. It is a sad fact, but sadder that the Republicans are a much poorer option where most minorities are concerned.

I disagree with Hillary causing more division, her heavy leads in most polls at this point indicate that a lot more people support her than I ever thought possible. She is certainly no more devisive than W., who in my opinion will at some point enter the history books as the worst president in our country's history. It is that fact that I think will pretty much seal the deal for the Democrats in the next election. The Republicans are terribly divided on their nomination, and even many of them agree that W. has done a terrible job.

You're right about the Wal-Mart crowd Poonther, for sure. That's how we ended up in our current situation...people too silly to realize that "the good ole' boy from Texas" was really a Yale-educated Yankee and that his inability to enunciate is really just a lack of intelligence on his part.

I totaly agree with GG on his statements.

One thing that Hilliary supporters and John Kerry supports have in common is that they tend to buy whole hardly into there own propaganda. Last election there where a whole bunch of young well educated but not to bright very liberal college age kids working at my work. They as well as all of the other Kerry supporters there could not debate the issues past the typical talking point they picked up watcing 5 minutes of news from The Daily Show or Keith Olbermann. Hint to the far left. Thats not news, its opinion. Anyway once you got down to the nuts and bots of an issue they were totaly lost in the conversation. They took everything they heard from far left media outlets as the truth. Hint again for the far left. Check around from various news outlets and read the news for yourself. Don't let some opinion maker put his/her own twisted outlook on the current events in your head.

Another issue I had a hard time explaing to them was the fact that no matter how many of your friends liked the Democract canidate, that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that you live and breath every word that comes from there mouth. It doesn't matter how demonized they make there opponent out to be. It doesn't matter what opinion polls say. Hint again to the far left (Those polls are worded very badly and can be made to slant one way or another). Don't believe the hype.

What really really really matters on election day is........

Electoral College

If red states have more electorial college votes at the end of the day then guess what happens.

All of the what my friends think and what certain media outlets say is out the window.

The End

Tax Dollars at work...

Florida To Snake Owners: Microchip Your Python

Owners Must Register, Cage, and Chip Their Pets

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (CBS) ― A new Florida law may require exotic pet owners to register their cold-blooded pets with the state. January 1 brought new rules for owning some reptiles in Florida.

Anyone seeking to own a python, green anaconda or Nile monitor lizard is now required to get a permit and microchip. In addition, owners used to allowing their exotic reptiles to have the run of the house are learning their free-range days are over. The reptiles must now be caged. Owners have to answer questions about basic reptile care and have a "bite response plan." There's also an annual $100 fee.

A permit is also required for red-eared slider turtles. It's illegal to allow the turtles to reproduce, and all eggs must be destroyed.

Source: wcco.com (CBS)

Crist popular despite rough year

19597_512.jpg

TALLAHASSEE -- Property taxes didn't "drop like a rock" during Gov. Charlie Crist's first year in office, but neither did his approval rating.

His first official act was the creation of Office of Open Government to help ensure state agencies comply with Sunshine and public records laws.

Crist went through his first special legislative session as governor and signed a bill that sought to reduce property insurance by rolling back rates at the state-created Citizens Property Insurance Corp. and allowing private insurance to buy cheaper backup insurance from the state's catastrophe fund.

He worked with the Cabinet to automatically restore voting rights for most felons who have completed their sentences and he signed a bill to require a paper trail for all ballots cast.

In July, he emerged as a national leader on climate change issues, hosting a summit in Miami that received worldwide attention. It featured a keynote address by Democrat Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who used the opportunity to sharply criticize Republican President Bush. Crist applauded the remarks. :D

The governor installed solar panels and a hydrogen fuel cell at the governor's mansion, ordered state agencies to reduce energy use and set lofty goals for power companies to reduce carbon emissions. On top of that, his state vehicle runs on ethanol.

Source: St. Augustine Record

----------------------------------------------------------

Seems like he's going to be a two-term governor. I'm a Democrat who in the past would never consider voting for a republican for any statewide or national office, yet I may make an exception for Crispy. He's alright!

Ah it's just Iowa and they rarely get it right, however I do admire their process. I say this even though my guy won.

Huckabee scares we worse than waking up in the morning and rolling over to kiss Hilary w/out her make-up on or doing LSD on a cross-country road trip w/Mike Gravel.

Archived