Tallahassee | Politics

Florida

Hey did one of you guys write this opinion piece? I know I didn't, but it sure sounds like me and many of you here. This guys touches on everything from poor service at retails establishments and restaurants, to litter in the streets, to the squabbles between FSU and COT to inept City/County leaders. It's an interesting read and it's nice to know that other folks notice many of the same things that we do here in our little UP world. Hopefully more Tallahassseeans will become aware and demand that things slowly change.

Now don't get me started on the people that block the intersections of Tennessee at Calhoun, Gadsden and Meridan!!!!!!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey did one of you guys write this opinion piece? I know I didn't, but it sure sounds like me and many of you here. This guys touches on everything from poor service at retails establishments and restaurants, to litter in the streets, to the squabbles between FSU and COT to inept City/County leaders. It's an interesting read and it's nice to know that other folks notice many of the same things that we do here in our little UP world. Hopefully more Tallahassseeans will become aware and demand that things slowly change.

Now don't get me started on the people that block the intersections of Tennessee at Calhoun, Gadsden and Meridan!!!!!!

"Just think of all the trademark behaviors of self-absorption that we have signs up to dissuade: blocking intersections, defiling shared spaces with garbage, lobbing tooth-rattling music toward everyone within earshot, and, of course, dismissively carrying on a telephone conversation while someone behind a counter is trying to take an order."

Nothing he mentions is specific to Tally at all. That column reads like an Andy Rooney segment.

"Our leaders allow major civic reshaping projects to stall over whether a road should be one-way or two; the products of our universities try to force disreputable pet projects into being regardless of the damage they'll do those universities. We're even deprived of safe, efficient major event parking and high-wage, low-pollution industry because two or more of the heads of our institutional hydra can't put aside their egos long enough to play in the same sandbox."

While I agree w/you that the part you pasted is rather generic, that still doesn't make it false. Now the part I pasted above does seem to be more specific to Tally.

Andy Rooney, man I've not heard that name in years. Is he still walking the earth?

City eyeing increased utility fees

By Tabitha Yang

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Tallahassee city commissioners want to increase water, sewer and natural gas fees.

The water fee increases would only affect residences and businesses that use higher than average amounts. Fees would not change for people who use average amounts. The city says it must raise rates because the cost of pumping water to houses and businesses is increasing with inflation.

Commissioners will hold a public hearing on March 26 to allow citizens to give them input on raising the rates.

As the cost of electricity, chemicals, labor and supplies increases, the cost of using water also increases, said Ted Szymankiewicz, the senior director for the Orlando-based consulting company R.W. Beck. The company prepared a report for the city, advising them to increase the rates.

Under the new proposal, starting next January, the first 7,000 gallons people use per month would cost $1.29 per 1,000 gallon. The next 13,000 gallons would cost $1.75 per 1,000 gallons. After that, water would cost $2.20 per 1,000 gallons, according to the R.W. Beck report. Heavy users would still realize a minimum increase in the monthly bill.

"We've all gotten used to thinking of water as free and inexhaustible, but it's never been free, and it's not inexhaustible," said Commissioner Debbie Lightsey.

Sure, here's the map:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FileStores/W..._district_9.pdf

They're raising the sales tax, but eliminating the school portion of the property tax (which makes up the brunt of the bill). And yes, FL, you are right in the direction you are thinking. The idea is to get EVERYONE to pay for schools, not just property owners. 20+ million people visited Orlando alone last year, contributing next to nothing statewide (they do help pay for Orange County projects through the tourist tax).

I like Rubio. He does what he think is right, regardless of whether it is beneficial to the establishment in politics. People voted for A1 because they were told it was the tip of the iceberg, and that there would be more. Then the Gov. and the Senate say "there isnt much of an appetite" to lower property taxes anymore. I dont know who they've been talking to.

^Thanks for the map GG. I had it in my head that D9 area was the center of Tally. I didn't realize it reached all the way up to the GA border and that I am in fact on the southern edge.

Currently does ANY of the sales tax revenues go towards education? You say that tourist pay next to nothing for statewide issues, yet they do pay the current sales tax. Why does so little of this current sales tax go towards statewide issues? I know local areas can tack on extra percentages, but I thought part of the base, 6%, went to the state?

Finally that might be your most award winning "spin" yet to date, declaring that Rubio is a good guy. IMHO there's not been a more egotistical leader of the House or Senate since the days of "look at me Johnny Byrd."

I will be the first to admit, one of my weak areas is keeping up with Tallahassee Politics, but i know other son the board keep up with it so I wanted to reopen this thread.

Also an article today that I would like to see what this really means from people that know more about these people and what they can bring to the table

Article

When residents wake up Tuesday, they'll be served by a revamped city of Tallahassee government.

To find out what's new and what it means for residents, we sat down with City Manager Anita Favors-Thompson for answers to our questions.

Will residents notice any differences?

Not really. Among the biggest changes, parks and recreation will cease to be its own department and will be merged with neighborhood affairs and the animal shelter. Also, the city is creating a new office, reporting directly to the city manager, whose job will be to promote "green" initiatives throughout the city's various departments. That new environmental policy/energy resources office is being created out of the existing environmental services unit under utility business and customer service.

Will this save money?

Yes. By eliminating two director positions

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try and get a discussion going in here...

There is a bill that passed committee yesterday that will allow all voters who are registered as "NPA" (No Party Affiliation) to vote in the primary of their choosing, Republican or Democrat, but only one of those. Proponents of the bill say that approximately 2 million voters are disenfranchised every presidential election cycle because they are not allowed to help nominate a candidate in a primary, because they do not belong to a party. Opponents say that this is anything but disenfranchisement, because the voters make a conscious decision to register under No Party Affiliation, and if the NPA's really want to vote in a primary, then they can choose to change their party affiliations for the primary only, and then change it back.

What are your thoughts on this?

Archived