Tallahassee | Politics

Florida

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've actually already voted, but I backed the war hero, but Im not entirely convinced it was the right decision. Then when "finger in the breeze" Charlie backed him at the very last minute made me regret it even more (because he is a spineless politician, he jumped ship from McCain when he tanked in November to support Rudy, then jumped ship from Rudy back to McCain).

What are your thoughts on Amendment 1? Take a guess on mine!

I've actually already voted, but I backed the war hero, but Im not entirely convinced it was the right decision. Then when "finger in the breeze" Charlie backed him at the very last minute made me regret it even more (because he is a spineless politician, he jumped ship from McCain when he tanked in November to support Rudy, then jumped ship from Rudy back to McCain).

What are your thoughts on Amendment 1? Take a guess on mine!

Nice try spin-meister, but if you would go back about 5 seconds before that picture was taken, they did in fact shake hands last night.

"Well if it makes you feel any better, I'd rather Vote for a man who gets the support of one with their finger in the Breeze than one who does it himself (Romney)."

I dont think I really understand what you mean here.

"Amendment 1, voted "No" although it would have DRASTICALLY lowered my Tax Bill, I did it for the people who need the government services that would otherwise be cut without the tax revenues. I couldn't help but think about the schools, public works, and the police when I voted... despite the temptation to think about myself. I hope I won't regret that vote."

Well, you got the conclusion right, but not sure you took the right road haha. There are very few, in fact I would say no vital government services would be cut as a result of the tax plan. That is local governments way of trying to scare you because they dont want to lose their bloated revenues. Schools, public works, police...they wouldn't be effected. The new tacky statue in the park, the wasteful pet projects...those types of things would be, as they should.

Just curious, how much would the plan have saved you?

I'm w/josefk this has no place in the state constitution and the fact that it's just a poorly thought out plan.

Ha GG, you were just the person I thought of Saturday night when I saw the Crist endorsement of McCain. For you, I thought that might be the "kiss of death"......little did I know that you had already voted.

On the shallow side of things, McCain should never stand between his 2nd wife and Crist b/c one of these things is not pretty.

Maybe the Obama camp will release the image of the two shaking hands so I can view that myself. I have no image from the 5-seconds that proceeded this moment, when he turned his back on my Lady Love... some Uniter he is!

Its not really an issue of the Obama camp releasing a picture of it or not. If you watched the State of the Union last night, regardless of which channel you watched, you would have seen them shake hands because the commentators went ga-ga over it.

I've recognized on several occasions, Romney "adjust" his stance on issues. Take for example the Timeline thing that John McCain likes to mention. Whether or not he feels we should let the "enemy" know the date, Romney has said he favors a timeline for withdrawing our troops from Iraq. Romney now says he did not say that, but the statement on the record suggests otherwise.

Well if thats what you think then you certainly shouldnt be voting for Hillary Clinton. She has certainly "adjusted" her stance on the war when the nuts at MoveOn attacked her for backing Bush on it. After that, she has been very anti-war.

If you take the sound bites that have been played, then you could erroneously conclude that Mitt favors a time table. If you read the entire transcript and understand the context, then you would find that him supporting a timetable just isnt accuarate at all. Actually, it is a blatant lie.

You're right that local governments are using this measure to scare people to think that services will be drastically cut, but to a certain degree it has a certain significance here in Tallahassee. We've already got less taxable property on the rolls than many other Florida cities. Tallahassee's millage is already THE LOWEST of Florida's 10 largest cities, we continue to grow which increases the need to expand roads, extend sewer systems, build schools, fire houses, add street lights, increase patrols and so forth. It's very hard to image we would be able to meet the challenge of providing these services, or not reducing the level of services we now provide, if we cut the taxable values this way. I favor relief, but I don't think this was the right answer.

Well, I would think thats about right for Tallahassee (10th largest city on the list) to have the lowest millage rate of the 10 largest cities. That kind of makes sense. I agree some of those services need to be provided. However, local governments have got to learn to live within their means. Take these working class families you always speak of. If they want a new car, can they just go to their neighbor and make them give them money if they cant afford to buy it? No. Why should government be any different? They need to learn how to better plan for the future and create budgets and investment plans that will allow them to meet the goals and needs of tomorrow. Not raise my taxes every time they want to build a new road.

Currently my tax bill is: $810.00

If this Passes I'd Pay: $339.27

=======================

I'd save: $470.37

So in my opinion, I made a very unselfish decision.

Im jealous! Im curious to know how this bill would save you almost 50% though. Are you the sole owner? I agree, very unselfish decision. I was only asking to see how much the amendment would effect you.

Its not really an issue of the Obama camp releasing a picture of it or not. If you watched the State of the Union last night, regardless of

which channel you watched, you would have seen them shake hands because the commentators went ga-ga over it.

Maybe the CNN people missed it because they said Obama and Hillary kept their distance and never shook hands. That was even published in print media. But maybe we all missed it. I was definitely watching for it as this has become a Political war!!!

Well if thats what you think then you certainly shouldnt be voting for Hillary Clinton. She has certainly "adjusted" her stance on the war when the nuts at MoveOn attacked her for backing Bush on it. After that, she has been very anti-war.

The difference is she takes credit for her stance, Romney denies his. I don't mind when people make mistakes, I just don't like it when they refuse to acknowledge them. I don't think there's a single figure on the Ballots this year that hasn't made a change or two, but some just refuse to admit it.

If you take the sound bites that have been played, then you could erroneously conclude that Mitt favors a time table. If you read the entire transcript and understand the context, then you would find that him supporting a timetable just isnt accuarate at all. Actually, it is a blatant lie.

Yeah, and if you watch the sound bites they play of Bill Clinton, you could erroneously conclude he's a racist... especially the tid-bit about the "Fair Tale". I just wish they would play the whole clip so people could have it in context. The transcript from Romney clearly states "Time-tables" yet goes on to say we should not let the enemy know the time table (of course not) but there should be an understanding between the US and the Iraqi government that they've got so long to get it together before they're on their own. No one outside the Pentagon, White House and Top Iraqi Circles need to know the date. But the American people need to know we're not going to be over there forever. We've got our own nation to protect.

Well, I would think thats about right for Tallahassee (10th largest city on the list) to have the lowest millage rate of the 10 largest cities.

Do you mind providing me with a list of 9 Florida cities larger than Tallahassee. I'd just like to compare my notes, because I'm coming up short for some reason.

Not raise my taxes every time they want to build a new road.

Frankly, our taxes aren't that high. You're right, people ought to live within its means, and so must government. Interest rates are low, and certain investments are too risky to pursue. Last night, the Democratic response to the president's speech spoke of asking Americans to make some sacrifices, I strongly agree.

Maybe the CNN people missed it because they said Obama and Hillary kept their distance and never shook hands. That was even published in print media. But maybe we all missed it. I was definitely watching for it as this has become a Political war!!!

Yea, I (surprise) was watching it on FOX News, and Chris Wallace and Shepherd Smith made comments about it. Maybe its a media conspiracy haha.

"The difference is she takes credit for her stance, Romney denies his. I don't mind when people make mistakes, I just don't like it when they refuse to acknowledge them. I don't think there's a single figure on the Ballots this year that hasn't made a change or two, but some just refuse to admit it. "

Romney wont deny that he had a "change of heart." Im not sticking up for the guy...Im not crazy about him either. But he has said, especially in the debates because he's called out on it, that he has had "change of heart" on some issues as his life has progressed.

Yeah, and if you watch the sound bites they play of Bill Clinton, you could erroneously conclude he's a racist... especially the tid-bit about the "Fair Tale". I just wish they would play the whole clip so people could have it in context.

I wont argue with you here, I think he was taken out of context also. Ive never called/accused him of being racist!

The transcript from Romney clearly states "Time-tables" yet goes on to say we should not let the enemy know the time table (of course not) but there should be an understanding between the US and the Iraqi government that they've got so long to get it together before they're on their own. No one outside the Pentagon, White House and Top Iraqi Circles need to know the date. But the American people need to know we're not going to be over there forever. We've got our own nation to protect.

MS. ROBERTS: Iraq. John McCain is there in Baghdad right now. You have also been very vocal in supporting the president and the troop surge. Yet, the American public has lost faith in this war. Do you believe that there should be a timetable in withdrawing the troops?

MR. ROMNEY: Well, there's no question but that

Well, I would think thats about right for Tallahassee (10th largest city on the list) to have the lowest millage rate of the 10 largest cities.

Do you mind providing me with a list of 9 Florida cities larger than Tallahassee. I'd just like to compare my notes, because I'm coming up short for some reason.

In order based on the 7.06 Census estimates:

Jax 794,555

Miami 404,048

Tampa 332,888

St. Pete 248,098

Orlando 220,186

Hialeah 217,141

Ft. Lauderdale 185,804

Tally 159,012

Cape Coral 151,389

Pembroke Pines 150,064

*Note that Tally is ranked 8th.

Ah I see you beat me to it GG, however I think your data is just a tad dated. Cape Coral has replaced Hollywood in the top ten

Archived