Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although the current housing market wouldn't encourage the condo tower, until we get a definitive answer maybe we should assume it will still be built. Wells execs are going to need somewhere to stay when they come to the city, and the fact that the condo tower is in the same complex would be very convenient, especially if they were going to stay for extended periods. Duke Power might have tentatively signed up for a portion of the units as well as the other tenants. Assume maybe a minimum of 50 units (33% of the tower) would be corporate condos, why not build the rest? As said before, the tower will be 50% complete anyway, and I can't imagine Duke or Wells would want an empty 2 story lobby sitting on their $1 billion campus. Maybe its just blind optimism, but I think it makes more sense to finish it at this point.

While I'd hate to see the condo tower not get built, it would be a good thing for some people. Perhaps the Vue would really benefit. Maybe Twelve would get built sooner. I'd like to have another condo tower uptown, but I'd rather not have a bunch of half-empty towers. What we don't need is another The Park.

Would have made a lot of sense as a Four Seasons or Intercontinental with a condo component a couple of years ago....wouldn't make as much sense today, but it wouldn't suprise me, either. Lenders have really cooled on the hotel/condo mix in the last 2 years, but assuming it was to be self financed, that's not necessarily a deterrant.

The concrete work is officially done on the office tower. From what I saw all the forms are off the building. Looks like they didnt even add three floors more like one from our last discussion about it. Indeed steel is already in place and up to the second floor of steel work.

The concrete work is officially done on the office tower. From what I saw all the forms are off the building. Looks like they didnt even add three floors more like one from our last discussion about it. Indeed steel is already in place and up to the second floor of steel work.

010-4.jpg

So the Tryon Side of the building looks like it will terminate at 49 floors. The current floor before the taper is 39, and if you look at the picture every floor it goes in a notch the size of one of the openings. So if the tower is 10 openings wide, it will be 49 stories on this side in theory. Now on the other side of the building, the taper starts at floor 42, which makes it 52 floor termination on the Church St. Side/Stonewall Side.

After observing pictures of the model it looks to me like the handle adds an additional 2 floors of height. So I think we can confirm now what someone said about the top handle being called "Mech Floor 54"

327442126_1ecdcac025.jpg

327443151_98d9e0437b.jpg

With the current height coupled with the falling of the leaves, I would HIGHLY

recommend taking I-77 Southbound in the HOV Lane (around Exit 13 or 14?)

for an incredible view of our new skyline if you haven't already!! I imagine

the Vue will also make a sweet addition from this angle once it tops out.

Archived