SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

On February 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM, caterpillar2 said:

I used to order Cuban sandwiches regularly when I lived in Panama City, Florida. They were authentic and really good. But, I would also love to see a Lidl (I believe it is spelled that way?) They are on the lines with Audi, but a bit more extensive. I used the quite a bit in Europe. Good prices and would be a great fit. I read earlier that they were coming to the Charlotte area.

Lidl tried to get into Skyhouse, but Grubb was looking for a bigger store than the Lidl Concept. No wiggle room. None what so ever. Clay Grubb is difficult to work with, has grandiose vision, but not wherewithal to get anything done with it. Sound familiar *Cough* Levine *Cough*

10 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Lidl tried to get into Skyhouse, but Grubb was looking for a bigger store than the Lidl Concept. No wiggle room. None what so ever. Clay Grubb is difficult to work with, has grandiose vision, but not wherewithal to get anything done with it. Sound familiar *Cough* Levine *Cough*

Grubb needs to be less difficult to work with. the community would be better off. People like Levine and Grubb need to learn to compromise.

41 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Grubb needs to be less difficult to work with. the community would be better off. People like Levine and Grubb need to learn to compromise.

There is a fine line to walk.  If you compromise too much you end up with bullcrap. I give him credit for sticking to his guns and keeping with his vision, but the fact of the matter is he wasn't being realisticbut the fact of the matter is he wasn't being realistic

I have no affiliation with Grubb, but it seems that I'm constantly defending him. Grubb really doesn't have a dog in the fight here. They took a small minority interest in Skyhouse and Novare was/is the developer. Grubb doesn't control the remaining parcel fronting Tryon either. They had an option on it, which expired a while ago. The parcel is owned by David Kossove, a local investor and David Furman has it under contract. To my knowledge, Grubb's only involvement beyond a non-controlling interest in Skyhouse is their leasing assignment, which Novare still has decision rights over. 

Regarding Lidl, I wouldn't blame any developer for not wanting to incorporate them into a vertically integrated mixed use deal. Those deals are expensive and risky enough as-is and when you add a tenant that you have to specifically design the building around that has no track record or presence in the US and is compared to Aldi, there's no benefit to the project to have them. Deals that have grocers like Whole Foods vertically integrated as they are at Crescent Stonewall is typically not overly profitable if you just look at the cost to add the grocer versus adding spec shop space or additional MF units, but the value it adds to the overall project by increased demand and increased MF rents is why it can be justified. 

• Like 3

If Lidl does their USA concept similar to their European stores, perhaps the SkyHouse developers are concerned it will be perceived as low end? Aldi kind of has the reputation in Charlotte as a lower end store that competes more with Walmart than Harris Teeter and Publix. You probably wouldn't expect one at the base of an apartment where people are paying $1,500+ for a 1 bedroom/1 bath.

Lidl store format.. not exactly fancy. Cheap and good quality, but I could see how a developer of a "luxury" apartment tower might be hesitant to try an unproven brand in the USA at the base of their tower. 

germany-discount-stores-aldi-lidl-461526

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

If Lidl does their USA concept similar to their European stores, perhaps the SkyHouse developers are concerned it will be perceived as low end? Aldi kind of has the reputation in Charlotte as a lower end store that competes more with Walmart than Harris Teeter and Publix. You probably wouldn't expect one at the base of an apartment where people are paying $1,500+ for a 1 bedroom/1 bath.

Lidl store format.. not exactly fancy. Cheap and good quality, but I could see how a developer of a "luxury" apartment tower might be hesitant to try an unproven brand in the USA at the base of their tower. 

germany-discount-stores-aldi-lidl-461526

Looks like a bodega.

Nothing wrong with that, just not the right retail format for this tower.

• Like 1

Not everyone wants to shop at a Whole Foods - developers thinking that every market or place to buy food is going to be 'high end' in every neighborhood is simply unrealistic. Novare is very minimal in their buildings and would fit right in with that type of concept. 

Fun fact: German brothers own Trader Joe's, and Aldi. The Aldi brother went off the German no-frills method (they're very utilitarian) to keep prices down. While the TJ brother used the American full-service method to create interest, and uses only their name brands to keep prices down. In Germany, a place like TJ/HT/WF is like a palace of luxury. 

• Like 1

Lidl is supposedly distinguishing their stores here and are going for a trader joes style of quality private label products and will have much larger stores than Aldi. There's an image in the article here of the prototype for the U.S. They definitely do not want to be seen as a discounter here. 

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_2a99c3fa-01ff-5a7b-a2d8-5ee2756ef41f.html

Lidl's real estate requirements are kind of opposite of the Skyhouse site. Interesting that they were seriously looking at a deal there. Their real estate site submission site for the U.S. expansion says they require "Minimum 3.5 acres to accommodate a 36,000 sq. ft stand-alone store with minimum 150 dedicated car parking spaces." Maybe I'm envisioning the site plan for Skyhouse wrong though and the grocery was going to be stand-alone.

http://www.lidl.com/real-estate-opportunities.html

http://www.lidl.com/documents/prototype.pdf

Edited by CLT2014

Can I just get a rehash of where the grocery store might go?  Are we talking about it for the Furman part of the block, or the Skyhouse part?  

Also, to be annoying, what is the status of the Furman proposal?  It is probably among my favorite proposals for the city. 

22 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Can I just get a rehash of where the grocery store might go?  Are we talking about it for the Furman part of the block, or the Skyhouse part?  

Also, to be annoying, what is the status of the Furman proposal?  It is probably among my favorite proposals for the city. 

Publix would be on Tryon and the status is very positive and we should hear much more very soon. It's a fantastic project

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Skyhouse retail spaces are now larger than like 4k sq feet. So it could only go on the Furman side. Tryon Frontage. 

• 3 weeks later...