SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Love, love, love

Definitely a David Furman-style design as Prodev mentioned.  I kind of wish the office building was a bit taller (I'm still disappointed we're not getting the sleek office tower originally proposed for the site RDF posted again a few pages back), but it will be a nice step down to the Charlotte Ballet building across 10th St.  Can we start speculating which hotel brand they're targeting for the hotel/condo (finally some for-sale condos Uptown that could possibly be affordable, yay!) tower?  Hopefully a boutique or full-service brand.  We need more of those (even with all the recent 'announcements' here, we still lag behind other mid-sized US cities in this category), and I've always found it strange we only have condos built over limited-service hotels.  May just be me, but I'm not going to pay a premium to live above a Hampton Inn / Hilton Garden Inn or a Hyatt Place.

• Like 1

Definitely a David Furman-style design as Prodev mentioned.  I kind of wish the office building was a bit taller (I'm still disappointed we're not getting the sleek office tower originally proposed for the site RDF posted again a few pages back), but it will be a nice step down to the Charlotte Ballet building across 10th St.  Can we start speculating which hotel brand they're targeting for the hotel/condo (finally some for-sale condos Uptown that could possibly be affordable, yay!) tower?  Hopefully a boutique or full-service brand.  We need more of those (even with all the recent 'announcements' here, we still lag behind other mid-sized US cities in this category), and I've always found it strange we only have condos built over limited-service hotels.  May just be me, but I'm not going to pay a premium to live above a Hampton Inn / Hilton Garden Inn or a Hyatt Place.

I would for this. Above a publix and other retail on the block and the fact that 1st ward is really a homey and cozy place to live. And North Tryon has a nice, established feel.

^^^So, is this the "leftover" parcel on the Skyhouse block, and if so is it just a conceptual design, or are these things actually planned to be built?

I suppose I could have waited on the Agenda to publish a story about it.  Jason Thomas always seems to be on top of the development news.;)

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/19135/development-planse-n-tryon-skyhouse-site/

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

I kind of wish the office building was a bit taller (I'm still disappointed we're not getting the sleek office tower originally proposed for the site RDF posted again a few pages back),

I rather like the way the office component is designed at 9-10 stories.  Remember that this super block will be rather dense with 3 towers at 20+ floors each.  This will be a nice variation to the height as you walk this corridor.  Also will block in the parking deck from view for the most part, which is certainly a positive.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually okay with it.  I don't expect every tower in this area to be "signature".  And while I agree that it's about the most cookie cutter design imaginable, at the very least they've included street level retail wrapping the entire building.  At this point, if it's not stick built and gets more bodies into uptown, I can live with it.  Plus anything is a massive upgrade over the murder hotel and serial killer empty lot that were there before.

I completely agree. This essentially amounts to an infill tower project (which do anchor this end of the skyline for now, but whatever), and it has retail, has amenities above and beyond for residents and does have a solid street level presence. Nothing much to complain about here. OH and it got rid of that crappy motel.

• Like 3

Just knocking down that motel was a improvement IMO, as everyone else said. You get two apartment towers. 1,000 new residents. An uptown vet, retail and a grocery store, etc. Winner winner, chicken dinner. I'd take another Skyhouse over some of that other garbage that pops up in South End. 

• Like 1

I'm actually okay with it.  I don't expect every tower in this area to be "signature".  And while I agree that it's about the most cookie cutter design imaginable, at the very least they've included street level retail wrapping the entire building.  At this point, if it's not stick built and gets more bodies into uptown, I can live with it.  Plus anything is a massive upgrade over the murder hotel and serial killer empty lot that were there before.

It is much better than the hotel. I just hate how these two will look the same as Trademark and Catalyst with a different haircut. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The equivalent of where they are now for Skyhouse II is roughly where they were in early May 2014 for Skyhouse I.  They topped off 6 months later.   Not sure if they'll hit the same results over winter, but I'm excited to think it'll be a full topped out structure by the beginning of next summer.  

It would be nice to get some real movement and confirmation on Furman's condo/hotel/Publix project now along Tryon, but I am sure Grubb stipulated that they need to retain the land for staging for a while.