SuperTARGET to anchor new Center at I-85 and Pelham

RestedTraveler

I'm definitely not a fan of sprawl, but this specific SuperTarget would actually bring some sense controlled development to his piece of land. The land around this area is already chocked full of one story manufacturing / warehouse structures as well as fast food restaurants, gas stations, single family homes, etc.....so, the sprawl already exist. I'd much rather see a Super Target than some brown metal building or warehouse. With the importance of this land at 85, it was predestined to be developed.

As for SuperTarget itself, I do like that they have somewhat of a European feel (as opposed to Wal-Mart) and at least they are purveyors of taste (mass taste maybe, but at least taste, unlike Wal-Mart which has zero taste). The other thing about Target as a company, they are somewhat more environmentally aware than Wal-Mart and do not tend to play hop-scotch with store locations the way Wal-Mart does. Normally, when a Target is built, it stays in that location and remodels in that location.

How is SuperTarget any different from an IKEA? They both locate in the same types of areas and most urbanist are usually happy with IKEA. It brings design to the average person. Can't fault them on that.

I fault the city and county governments for ever allowing the sprawl to start, but if sprawl is there, I'll certainly take a nice SuperTarget over a beige metal warehouse building anyday. And yes, a SuperTarget with a parking deck on top and 3 stories of adjacent shops would be even better. (example, the Dadeland Mall area Target in Miami).

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cars are the problem, not the size of the store. A Euro feel to a store may be a plus compared to WalMart. Wouldn't it be nice if a Euro feel were applied to the infrastructure? How about requiring a lot less parking, putting some residential above it, keeping the roads a narrow 2 lanes in order to encourage connectivity and density, and figuring out how to get American's to walk or ride a bike or bus?

Everyone still seems to want their 1/2 acre off Pelham and their 3 automobiles per household, but they don't want American style big box retail? It doesn't work that way. Big box retail is the inevitable conclusion to a dependence on cars. Change the way people think about transportation, change the country.

Every creature has their own taste, but I don't like having to spend so much time driving by all the sheep waiting to join the herd.

Cars are the problem, not the size of the store. A Euro feel to a store may be a plus compared to WalMart. Wouldn't it be nice if a Euro feel were applied to the infrastructure? How about requiring a lot less parking, putting some residential above it, keeping the roads a narrow 2 lanes in order to encourage connectivity and density, and figuring out how to get American's to walk or ride a bike or bus?

Everyone still seems to want their 1/2 acre off Pelham and their 3 automobiles per household, but they don't want American style big box retail? It doesn't work that way. Big box retail is the inevitable conclusion to a dependence on cars. Change the way people think about transportation, change the country.

Every creature has their own taste, but I don't like having to spend so much time driving by all the sheep waiting to join the herd.

I already buy half of my groceries at Target. If we had a SuperTarget, I could buy all of my groceries from them. Like someone else stated about soccer moms, I practically live there. The only SuperTarget I have been to is the one in my former hometown of Grand Forks, ND.

I loved the film "Career Opportunities", even though it was far from John Hughes' best work. :D

I already buy half of my groceries at Target. If we had a SuperTarget, I could buy all of my groceries from them. Like someone else stated about soccer moms, I practically live there. The only SuperTarget I have been to is the one in my former hometown of Grand Forks, ND.

I loved the film "Career Opportunities", even though it was far from John Hughes' best work. :D

A new SuperTarget recently opened just a short drive from where I live. My wife and I have shopped for groceries there once and vowed to never do it again. The quality of their produce is horrendous and even Food Lion and Bi-Lo have better produce. Several years ago I stopped shopping for groceries at Super Wal-Mart for the same reasons but later vowed never to shop at a Wal-Mart again because of their corporate practices. Target is quickly climbing my charts of my shopping blacklist as a whole as well.

My wife purchased three bookcases at Target several years ago when she was in college (she teaches English and Language Arts) and they were of decent quality. She spent $30 a piece for them and they're now in use in our home library. When we moved into our new home a year ago we went back to Target to get an extra matching bookcase as they were going side by side in the room, we bought the replacement model for the ones she had previously purchased. The shelves are all but buckled under the weight of a few paperbacks where the old ones held the weight of an entire shelf of hardbacks. They shipped a roll of faux wood to cover up the edges of the cheap compressed sawdust they made the bookcast with. We nearly took it back except when putting it together a couple of things broke and didn't want to take back something that we felt guilty about breaking. Thing is, it shouldn't have broke to begin with, the old ones didn't. I could have gotten better furniture at Goodwill.

This is one of the reasons Target is on the same doomed path as Wal-Mart. They have sold their soul to the cheapness devil in lieu of higher profits for a few years.

I will also mention that a SuperTarget is being explored a few minutes from our home in the other direction so it will take us roughly 5 minutes to get to either SuperTarget if it is built, how's that for being better than Wal-Mart?

The thing you have to remember about this SuperTarget is that it would of looked different than all the other cookie cutter ones built throughout the country. Greenville County recently passed a "big box" ordinance with certain design standards all new big-box stores built here have to abide by and the developer said they would of done that with this project. I think a lot of the reason we get excited over a Super Target is because it shows that Greenville is growing and is big enough now to hold on. It is basically the same thing as Charlotte getting excited over an IKEA.

• 4 weeks later...

Always something isn't it? Next it will be discovered that Wade Hampton announced his run for the Governor's Mansion there... *yawn*

Get over it residents! You're in the fastest growing part of the state. Those extra cars are going to be hitting your streets whether you like it or not. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even care about this project anymore. Once the SuperTarget/mixed-use plan was scrapped for lower-density condos and apartments, I lost interest. This is a great piece of land that will likely be wasted because of irrelevant environmental issues and public ignorance. I'm all for citizens being able to voice concerns about things that will impact them, but it sounds like this developer has been more than patient. The developer has gone back to the drawing board at least three times now, each time with a new proposal that tries to appeal to local residents. What do these people expect, other than an undeveloped plot of prime real estate?

I don't even care about this project anymore. Once the SuperTarget/mixed-use plan was scrapped for lower-density condos and apartments, I lost interest. This is a great piece of land that will likely be wasted because of irrelevant environmental issues and public ignorance. I'm all for citizens being able to voice concerns about things that will impact them, but it sounds like this developer has been more than patient. The developer has gone back to the drawing board at least three times now, each time with a new proposal that tries to appeal to local residents. What do these people expect, other than an undeveloped plot of prime real estate?

So the project is probably dead thanks to these NIMBY'S. :(

I hope Yellow Freight or Roadway builds the world's largest truck terminal on this spot, right in their back yards. They couldn't stop it. That's it's zoning. They could have had better. How shortsighted. Bring on the metal buildings and the trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived