Proposed: Echo Harbour

Downtowner

Here's and idea, erect a wall and paint the 17th century view of the river on it.

We will be sure to paint a picture of Cam smiling and pointing at the mural.

What if the trees become too tall??? Will that also ruin the "view"???

Stupid view garbage. UUUUUUURRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :angry:

Ahhhhhhhh I now feel better. :good:

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if it makes you happy... I'm on the fence about the project. I took pictures again this weekend there. If they do not break the horizon with the larger building, I'm fine with it. The view from Franklin St is still impressive itself, the only thing is it's not the same view. No one's ever noticed how you can see from Fulton Hill's Powhatan Park to the river flowing past the Carillon and downtown's eastern skyline? That being the only place in the city that you can basically see the whole city minus what's north of you from one spot high up at any time of the day and any day of the week on public property, is not important? I would propose to Mr. Ross that he make the top of his building open to the public as compensation. You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Those are not the updated renderings I recently viewed. The structure to the left was shorter while the one to the right was a tad taller; unless they were changed again or the Church Hill HOA is over exaggerating

Besides, "the view" is to the left just like Rocketts Landing will be to on the opposite side.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think an aquarium or some type of museum dedicated to wildlife in and around the James would be cool in this spot. It just seems like this location would be ideal for it. I'm sure working a design that looks good and can tolerate flood level waters would be considerably easier if it were some type of aquarium or wildlife museum. Maybe work the riverfront into some type of exhibit or something, just throwing out a thought before I forget about it later on :dontknow:

I still think an aquarium or some type of museum dedicated to wildlife in and around the James would be cool in this spot. It just seems like this location would be ideal for it. I'm sure working a design that looks good and can tolerate flood level waters would be considerably easier if it were some type of aquarium or wildlife museum. Maybe work the riverfront into some type of exhibit or something, just throwing out a thought before I forget about it later on :dontknow:

Recently approved plans to hold much of the riverfront as parkland is a fine idea. Except I question that ruling in regard to Great Ship Lock Park. Richmond's ship-building history was in that area and indeed, still retains ruins between Kanawa Canal and the James. Restoration and re-building might have added to the city's historic attraction, but is now forever forbidden.

• 4 months later...

It's not bad... but we still want to see the full effect of the building from the hill, not just the bend in the river. They don't seem to get that and from what I've read it's been requested several times and they keep saying no.

It's not bad... but we still want to see the full effect of the building from the hill, not just the bend in the river. They don't seem to get that and from what I've read it's been requested several times and they keep saying no.

I agree. Even though I'm in support of the project, it's really dumb they won't release a rendering of the full view from the hill. They should be open about the project and its impact on the view. But, I can see that they don't want to do anything more that would anger people and slow the process...this project has been on hold for too long.

We've seen the last of condo development in downtown Richmond for a long time. There was a very small window of opportunity to turn Richmond into a destination city and we didn't see it closing because we were too busy bickering about insignificant stuff. In the meantime everyone of our peer cities has become more livable and desirable and have substantially grown their downtown populations. Its a good thing that we

We've seen the last of condo development in downtown Richmond for a long time. There was a very small window of opportunity to turn Richmond into a destination city and we didn't see it closing because we were too busy bickering about insignificant stuff. In the meantime everyone of our peer cities has become more livable and desirable and have substantially grown their downtown populations. Its a good thing that we

Here are the renderings from the site:

And it's perfectly clear that it doesn't affect the river bend view in any way, but even pictorial proof won't end the opposite perception.

elogo.gif

echo_harbour-cover.jpg

southview.jpg

You can see a rendering of how Rockett's East Bank Tower would look off in the distance:

echo_harbour-facts.jpg

echo_harbour-living.jpg

echo_harbour-benefit.jpg

echo_harbour-contact.jpg

We've moved past the impact on the bend long ago. The developers have shown that they have listened to the public and modified their plans at least for that. That picture only shows the bend but does not show the larger tower and its impact on the view from Libby Hill. The view is not just of the bend of the river! The view overlooks the entire southside of the city! Where else can we get a view like that one in Richmond? Now from what I can see from the rendering of the bend, the point of view is below 29th St and not where the monument is. I can see that the building is low enough not to break the horizon, at least the lower of the two towers. I wish they'd show us the rest of the build from the park. None of us are buying the "it's too expensive," argument. Heck, I'd supply the picture and Tommy can whip up a rendering! For an alternative, I'd still rather see something even lower on the site that adds to the view instead of hindering it. Otherwise, I think it's a neat building and much better from the previous versions.

• 6 months later...

"Don't call it a come back I've been here for years" (LL Cool J). Guess who is back with a vengeance! Its the developers of Echo Harbour. It has been 4 years since the development was first proposed. On April 26 after fixing all the issues with the city will hear the case again for the development. Then go to the planning commission on May 17. Then back to the city council for final approval. Hopefully everything is smooth sailing and we can see construction start on this next year!yahoo.gif

Unfortunately the history buffs and the residents of Church Hill will try to find another excuse to hold it up.dry.gif

"Echo Harbour Bounces Back"

http://www.styleweek...9D9B74E2AF03F54

Echo Harbour website

http://echoharbour.com/home.html

echo_harbour-cover.jpg

Posted it in its rightful place!!thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...

Have there been any developments on this project? I think it would be a really good idea for Richmond, now that the height has been reduced. The plot of land in its location is disgusting and is really a waste of space. This will bring much more to the area and also will extend the urban area eastward closer to Rockett's Landing.

But they have not shown concerned residents the whole picture and refuse to do so. All they care to show is how the building impacts the bend in the river, not how much of the view of southside it'd block or if it's break the view of the horizon. This is Richmond's last large panoramic view from a hilltop and not accessible from climbing up in a building.

Archived