Proposed: Echo Harbour

Downtowner

Behold! A shorter version of Echo Harbour!

100_3664.jpg

100_3671.jpg

100_3703.jpg

100_3713.jpg

100_3711.jpg

And I don't know why the town approved it, but it so clashes with everything else in its surroundings. All the other buildings are from the 1800s and early 1900s and then this! It's an eyesore.

Is this Tappahannock?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just about puked my banana pancakes up. The expression "turd in a punchbowl" comes to mind.

I was going to hold off 'til the hundred-thou mark had been reached on the Dining Out thread, but have decided this will be my parting shot on Urban Planet. I sincerely hope no one is dumb enough to think that five-picture spread of the Tappahannock retirement home would be representative of Echo Harbour. It's part of Cadeho's hate-filled propaganda campaign of which I have had enough.

So long all.

Burt, once again, you know you can't stay away. We'll be waiting for more of your ideas, experiences, and memories. Burt, a world-class Richmonder. Hats off. :hi:

By the way, it's not propaganda. When I saw it, Echo Harbour came to mind. It's not that far off in design and it doesn't fit its surroundings one bit.

• 1 month later...

Just for the record, this is not the same developer as Rockett's Landing. Echo Harbour developers have "Rockett's" in its LLC title, but they are not affiliated with Rockett's Landing. This according to a Rockett's Landing official I spoke with.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I bet a quarter this will bring Cam out of his lurking status! :shades:

Echo Harbour is back in the news.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-222006/261945/

Not bad at all. I think it looks a lot more lofty than its previous rendering. Good to see they brought some brick in to break up the glass. Even with the height reduction, it's still an attractive development.

edit: Is it just my eyes, or did they throw in Rockett's 13-story East Bank Tower in the distance?

Thanks, blake, for the street view. It shows the tallest and westernmost building as well as vast improvements to Dock Street.

The Capital Trail along the riverfront beginning at Great Ship Lock to the Lehigh property apparently will be open to the public.. Here's hoping improvements are made at the intersection of Dock and East Main Streets which is trecherous if one wants to turn left from Main.

Thanks, blake, for the street view. It shows the tallest and westernmost building as well as vast improvements to Dock Street.

The Capital Trail along the riverfront beginning at Great Ship Lock to the Lehigh property apparently will be open to the public.. Here's hoping improvements are made at the intersection of Dock and East Main Streets which is trecherous if one wants to turn left from Main.

I'm not a big fan of how the development interfaces the street. There looks to be little or no sidewalk, stairs to a blank access door and a gated parking garage entrance. It looks like the main pedestrian activity is elevated, but it's not clear how you'd get there from the street or from Great Shiplock park or from the east. I'd love to see a site plan to see how you access the development from these places. It does looks like there is a bridge over Dock from Main St. I suppose this is the emergency access bridge (for flooding) that had been mentioned previously.

The "pedestal" it sits upon above the street probably has something to do with being in a flood plain.

I was told a few years ago by someone who used to work in the Harbor Master's office (the small white stone building that was on the property) that the current ground level is about 10 or 15 feet higher than it was when she worked there in the 1940's. I believe when Jerry Cable wanted to build on the site tons of earth were brought in to raise the plot above flood level...except for extreme floods.

There appears to be a narrow sidewalk at street level except where there is a wide garage entrance in the tallest building.

http://zodevdesign.deviantart.com/art/Echo-Harbour-110806902

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-222006/261945/

• 3 weeks later...

I like the new design. Ross still doesn't get it though... for me, it's not about the bend but the panoramic view as a whole. I do not want to go to the mountains or go to City Hall to get a panoramic view that's not blocked.

Then go to Chimborazo Park or Tree Hill Farm. Drive across the river (each bridge offers a panoramic view). Fly the Pocahontas Parkway...

Chimoborozo's view stinks compared to Libby Hill's and it's more sweeping. Tree Hill's view kills both but it's private right now and I don't feel like getting shot. I've been there 3 times and gotten pics... I'm not trying to push my luck. You cannot just stop on any bridge for a view.. this is why we have this park in its place, for its view. Don't try to destroy it for thousands of people because of one man's greed.

Oh for God's sakes when Rocketts Landing is fully built, the view will have abstructions.

Take a damn picture, put on State Historical Marker and call it day. This so called view is not even on the National Historic Register.

Sorry for the rant. This view thing is getting irritating.

Rocketts is far enough away not to impede the view. The distance is equivalent to Echo Harbor being on Ancarrow's Landing. It's not as bad.

If Echo Harbor was across the river, that would be a wonderful view.

Archived