Official Freedom Tower Thread

Wendell FOX

I think they should just put a giant spotlight aiming straight up into the night sky in memory of the lives lost there. Rebuilding the towers is distasteful IMO. Some people may say that it's better to move on and rebuild instead of mourning the loss because terrorists feed on that, but I say let the terrorists know that as long as that light burns into the sky over New York City we will never forget why we will seek out and destroy every terrorist that walks the earth.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Where is the final design? I have seen it but can't find it now.

Am I the only person who hates the name 'Freedom Tower'?

Nevermind...I found it and yes I'm pretty dumb...haha.

Name aside I like it better than the earlier designs. I don't tend to like the 'twisty' type of building very much.

• 2 months later...

I respect New Yorkers especially with everything that has happened in the past few years

That said, I regretfully have to say I am not a fan of the WTC redevelopment

I wish to god the WTC could be rebuilt as it was

I really did like that proposal Trump had a year or so ago

The new design is interesting enough believe me but it just doesn't seem to belong in Lower Manhattan

I can't think of a better way to honor our beloved lost ones by rebuilding as was on the other side of the sacred footprints and give the city it's true identity back

This is just my opinion

I just wish the politicing would stop and something actually be built on ground zero. Even a McDonalds slaped on that site would satisfy me as long it was somthing. It's been five stinking years since the WTC was knocked down by the forces of evil. We've could have build five empire state buildings in that time frame. But all I see is vaportecture, temporary patchwork, and still that giant hole festering in the ground. If this is the resolve this county has, a bunch of bickering, and nothing to heal a gapping wound, not to mention a screwed up war as a response to 9/11, then the the terrorists have most certainly achieved their evil objectives. Sorry to sound hot headed. But for crying out loud, people, this is America, the can do nation. I expected much better than the what's happening right now. Atleast the "America" I learned about back in elementary school would have responded much better to 9/11 than the real thing.

From NYT

A First Look at Freedom Tower's Neighbors

Silverstein, LMDC, the architects, and everyone else on the WTC redevelopment team unveiled design renderings, models, etc of the towers that will surround Freedom Tower on the WTC site.

08towers600.2.jpg

NYPost

Ground Zero's Towers Bloom

" A 78-story tower designed by Foster includes four diamond shapes on an angled roof that point directly toward the memorial. And the tower is positioned so that sunlight will shine directly on the memorial at the exact moment of the terror strike on Sept. 11."

news09082006004.jpg

I don't know. I really loved that original proposal, especially the version with a higher roof. The new tower looks so bland and the spire is even more bizarre than the first one.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't so bad, but I like the new one because it just seems to fill in the spot better.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good.....that is if they are built.

All I know is that the people incharge of rebuillding Ground Zrero had better get off there butts and kick into high gear because I for one am sick and tired of looking at a giant hole in the middle of NYC. Its been five years now. There should have been skyscrapers on that sight by now.

• 4 weeks later...

I still have a hard time coming to terms with the fact two 110 story buildings are being replaced with a single, 82 story one along with the most generic architecture I've seen in years.

This is what Minoru Yamasaki dismissed as the "housing project" scheme during the Kennedy administration.

I suppose you can't expect anything better from people who thought a structure that looked like a half-collapsed WTC tower or a pair of empty skeletons were the best possible choices.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived