Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

8 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Have you ever read the communist manifesto? Communism is about making sure everyone is able to live a good life. The reason it came about was Marx's disgust with the full swing of the industrial revolution in London. Pennies a day, zero safety measures, child labor and all that wonderful stuff that occurs with unbridled capitalism. I'm 100% against communism, don't get me wrong. It doesn't work. Human nature is to get what you can for yourself rather than the collective which is why regulated capitalism works better for society.

Just because the individuals who have implemented it were evil or severely misguided (Stalin, Lenin, Mao) doesn't mean the concept is inherently evil.

Back on topic, does anyone think it's possible to have another super highway or interstate built in CLT or is it too late in the city's development to be able to add that?

I'd like to see Brookershire Blvd converted to highway from Uptown to the Business-16 split in Gaston County, it would provide highway speeds from uptown to Newton, which would be great for Mountain goers (myself), also good for manufacturing and distribution  facilities located in Lincoln and Catawba Counties.  It would be even greater if they could upgrade Meridian Dr. in newton to super highway standards as well to I-40.   This route is fairly redundant to US 321, however will help alleviate.

A completed Shelby bypass will be great for western NC commuters, thats several years off though.

Other highways I'd like to see updated are Billy Graham from 85 to 77 without stoplights, and US 601 from Concord to Monroe upgraded to a super highway.

I can't think of much else that exists to be upgraded.  As far as new routes, I think our wheel and spoke highway layout gives pretty good access to surrounding major communities and I'm not sure any new routes would be needed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sigma said:

I'd like to see Brookershire Blvd converted to highway from Uptown to the Business-16 split in Gaston County, it would provide highway speeds from uptown to Newton, which would be great for Mountain goers (myself), also good for manufacturing and distribution  facilities located in Lincoln and Catawba Counties.  It would be even greater if they could upgrade Meridian Dr. in newton to super highway standards as well to I-40.   This route is fairly redundant to US 321, however will help alleviate.

A completed Shelby bypass will be great for western NC commuters, thats several years off though.

Other highways I'd like to see updated are Billy Graham from 85 to 77 without stoplights, and US 601 from Concord to Monroe upgraded to a super highway.

I can't think of much else that exists to be upgraded.  As far as new routes, I think our wheel and spoke highway layout gives pretty good access to surrounding major communities and I'm not sure any new routes would be needed.

Those all sound like really good options to be honestly. And you've got a good point about whether it's even necessary to add new routes altogether. I was thinking something along the lines of the cross-town expressway in Tampa...toll road of course.

Isn't the Shelby bypass fully underway though?

That's basically what NCDOT wants to do... except without actually converting it into a highway. It' s going to be a lot like Independence over time, except with lower impact because it isn't a major commercial corridor like Indy used to be.

20 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Have you ever read the communist manifesto? Communism is about making sure everyone is able to live a good life. The reason it came about was Marx's disgust with the full swing of the industrial revolution in London. Pennies a day, zero safety measures, child labor and all that wonderful stuff that occurs with unbridled capitalism. I'm 100% against communism, don't get me wrong. It doesn't work. Human nature is to get what you can for yourself rather than the collective which is why regulated capitalism works better for society.

I am sorry, that this must continue for yet another post...

Just a little history, the manifesto was published in 1848, Marx moved to London in 1849.  Das Kapital was written in London (and so it could have been influenced by his observations there), not The Communist Manifesto.

As for communism being evil: any person who willfully ignores human nature and pushes ideas that are contrary, is either evil or delusional. I am not sure which one Marx was. But his manifesto, manifested only evil in the world.  Capitalism exploits the existing human traits. Communism tries to (at best) ignore them or make you into the "ideal man". What could go wrong....

P.S. my fathers family escaped communism in the post WW1 era...

P.P.S. no more commie posts for me.

• Like 3

Back to roads this is the NC 16 widening up in Catawba County and dirt is flying. Yesterday photos.  Here is my idea for the congestion at NC 16 and Mt Holly Huntersville Rd.  Why not have Mt Holly Huntersville Rd bridge NC 16 and there is plenty of room with the NC 16 right of way for ramps.  That traffic light needs to go!  Came back down US 321 from Asheville today that has really become a true bypass for the entire Charlotte region.  There is a new Loves Truck stop near Maiden and the Apple data campus.  I know a trucker who says going from Winston back to ATL he always uses it to avoid 77.   The state DOT needs to complete that new interchange with US 321 and I-85 asap.   Eliminating that bottleneck will make this a preferred route to I-40 from Charlotte especially if you are going westward. 

IMG_8747.JPG

IMG_8748.JPG

IMG_8749.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/10/2018 at 12:56 PM, Nick2 said:

Isn't the Shelby bypass fully underway though?

Not quite. Construction started in 2013, but they're just now starting paving on the two western sections (A and B). Section C is under construction from NC 226 to NC 180. The last two sections to finish the bypass (D) and upgrade existing 74 to freeway (E) are scheduled for right-of-way acquisition next year and construction from 2021-2024.

Project breakdown map

Edited by cowboy_wilhelm
Added link to project breakdown map.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if it'd be possible to continue the widening of 16 through waxhaw. The Southeast side of Charlotte will be the next traffic nightmare area if its growth rate continues.

Also, @KJHburg how on Earth do you always manage to have pictures of relevant places for topics here...no matter how obscure? Lol

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I wonder if it'd be possible to continue the widening of 16 through waxhaw. The Southeast side of Charlotte will be the next traffic nightmare area if its growth rate continues.

Also, @KJHburg how on Earth do you always manage to have pictures of relevant places for topics here...no matter how obscure? Lol

I am everywhere you want to be........drove up NC 16 yesterday on my way to Ashvegas and Qualla Boundary 

and yes Providence needs to 4 laned down to the Waxhaw city limits.  I know there are plans to extend Rea Rd across Providence to connect to NC 84 towards Wesley Chapel 

• Like 2

Southeast Charlotte is already a traffic problem. I’m in the Weddington area, If I decided to go to Waverly at 9 AM on a Monday, it takes upwards of 45 minutes. Lack of 4 lane roads and one of the fastest growing areas in the region contributes to this. This past week my nephew told me that he had 4 new people in his class, All separate cases, All of which were relocating from another area to move here. 

• Like 1

US 321 originally was supposed to connect to the the defunct Garden Parkway to the west of the current 321/I-85 interchange, and the current redesign is basically value engineering. NCDOT likes to cheap out in the Charlotte area, i.e., Independence with RIRO instead of a real freeway. NC 16/Brookshire will never be a freeway or access limited highway, the interchange at I-85 will be transformed into a reversible diamond interchange, IMO a flyover to I-85 South would seem perfect.  NCDOT has a rural mentality, when the last section of Independence was being widened, the NCDOT tried to convince Charlotte to make Indy a "superstreet design" and it seems like NC16 within Mecklenburg will be a superstreet design.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the plan for US 321 I-85 interchange in Gastonia.  Still a light there which I think will cause backups but they should lesson with this plan.  I was hoping for some flyover bridges.

https://cityofgastonia.news/2017/12/85-us-321-interchange-construction-underway-gastonia/

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/ReaRoad/

Rea Road extension to Hwy 84 in Union County 

What is the status of the Bryant Farms Rd extension?

10 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Southeast Charlotte is already a traffic problem. I’m in the Weddington area, If I decided to go to Waverly at 9 AM on a Monday, it takes upwards of 45 minutes. Lack of 4 lane roads and one of the fastest growing areas in the region contributes to this. This past week my nephew told me that he had 4 new people in his class, All separate cases, All of which were relocating from another area to move here. 

I'm in Matthews and I certainly didn't choose to locate here for its ease of driving. Still, you discover the easiest alternative routes over time.

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Check out the improvements that will start next year on Hwy 150 in Mooresville.  I am not sure I understand some of these interchanges especially at Williamson Road.  ( I get the U-turns but look at these side roads lane crossovers etc)

I'm not sure I understand that Williamson Intersection either (meaning why not go for something a little more simple). That is going to cause some confusion until people get used to it. I drive this intersection regularly and I'm sure this is going to get worse before it gets better.

• Like 1

Just now, jednc said:

I'm not sure I understand that Williamson Intersection either (meaning why not go for something a little more simple). That is going to cause some confusion until people get used to it. I drive this intersection regularly and I'm sure this is going to get worse before it gets better.

I think it is to eliminate the u turns but it very strange intersection!  I had to look at it 3x before I got it. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

It's a continuous flow intersection (CFI). They do look a little strange but they're supposed to help alleviate traffic backups at intersections. There's also a CFI under construction at the NC 16 and Mt Holly-Huntersville Rd. 

Thanks for the info. I'm going to trust that it will improve things. I know the reverse diamonds are an improvement and people (some) were really concerned about those before they were built.

• Like 1

I think it means that left-turns will require two lights? It seems like they just shift the left turn movement a little bit away from the central intersection. It's hard for me to visualize how this is any more efficient. And god help the pedestrian or cyclist navigating through this thing.

Continuous_Flow_Intersection.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It is more efficient for the two mainlines, notice at all times either the east/westbound through movement or the north/southbound through movement has a green light. It lets people going straight through the intersection not have to wait through extra phases for the left turns. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, KJHburg said:

I think it is to eliminate the u turns but it very strange intersection!  I had to look at it 3x before I got it. 

This road design is exactly what they did at Poplar Tent and 85 with the new widening. I didnt notice in the picture here but on Poplar Tent there are Stop lights for the traffic making the U turn. Poplar Tent also has that design where you are driving on the wrong side of the road over the interstate , which is still strange, but its working I guess. Its a very controlled way of distrubting the traffic during rush hour especially. It seems to do a better job at evenly distributing traffic in areas that normally see traffic stand stills. BTW. I always make my uturn on red  if its safe on Poplar. Most dont, but some do. Options are great to have. All great cities have them right"?

This is not quite what they did at Poplar Tent/Pitts School and 85. The interchange with Pitts School itself is called a diverging diamond interchange (DDI), and the changes in Poplar Tent and Pitts School follow the  “super-street” design, meaning they eliminate all left turns and replace them with U-turns so that all intersections have less phases (basically all intersections have only 2 phases). Though kind of similar, the intersection above is a continuous flow intersection or CFIS. It still technically maintains left turns, albeit separated from the mainline. Though yes, all of these designs are ways to get creative to maximize efficiency instead of just widening roads or using traditional intersections. 

• Like 1