Granby Tower

utcltjay

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200 watch groundbreaking for Granby Tower in Norfolk

"From The Virginian Pilot"

"Now with the groundbreaking over, construction is set to begin at the luxury high-rise condominium project that will add to the city's skyline. At 490 feet, it will be Norfolk's tallest building."

granby450x331.jpg

Gadams, the president of Norfolk-based Marathon Development Group, said "major" construction work would "definitely" start before the end of May, assuming the $145 million in loans being used to finance the building are finalized by then.....

It means that there is still an ember of doubt. I also wonder why the Pilot keeps showing that idealized rendering of the tower--more slender and more streamlined. That massing would look great but I don't think it's going to look much like that. The Humphrey's web site keeps showing the old two tower configuration, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. So many little mysteries. It's like watching episodes of "Lost."

Wow! I posted my normal commentary on Pilot regarding the tower (we need the inventory) and a bunch of people were not pleased. Was that you guys? Pilot only allows a single posting. I know ways around it if I prepare, and think I can setup a private site of my own to allow me to post a 2nd and more times. If the admins approved. I'm negative, but concerned overall :-)

That's what they are intending for people to believe, but then to drop that comment in the same breath still fills me with a lot of doubt. I'll believe it when I see it. The two things that truly give me hope that this time may be different is the fact that the tower is physically 50% sold, and that Turner has put up their banners.

I'm not really worried. It's probably just a matter of finalizing the paper work. They probably couldn't secure the loan in ernest until after the vote on a subsidy, which really wasn't that long ago. And finalizing a $145M loan has to take some time. You can be pretty darn sure that if there were any doubt regarding financing, the paper would be all over that. After all, that's what they live for.

Archived