Granby Tower

utcltjay

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Increased height would be wonderful, especially given the massing of the design(s). It would be the most beautiful tower in the state, no question. I just don't think things are looking too promising now. And I do agree that it's too late to re-conceive the project, but my comments a couple of posts back are just a couple of things that I would try if I were involved. And believe me, I wish I were. Can you think of anything more exiting than building such a project?

:lol: You guys are eternal optimists. The chances of them adding more floors are slim to none. I think they (like the rest of us) will be happy just to see the thing get built. Heck, I'd even accept it at 30 stories as long as they just build the thing.

.......Another idea relates to the location. The City needs to make a firm, public comiitment to development of the properties across Brambleton, especially the bus station, which simply has to be replaced. Creating a defined placeholder for either a new central library or a Barnes and Noble type of bookstore would earn buyer trust, and might even do more to help this property than the $20 mil. tax deferral. But the City has only made some generic statements. It has even shifted it's focus somewhat to the former Downtown Plaza site. More is needed than the general statements in the Comprehensive Plan. It's time for a local specific action plan.

What is a "firm, public commitment"? I don't disagree with what you hope to see result, but I don't see how the city can commit to anything.

I don't think it is the city's job to "earn buyer trust", and I am sure the developer would much rather have the $20 million tax deferral rather than a Barns and Noble accross the street.

The developer "earns" trust from the buyers, although the City does have something invested as well, so they should be motivated also. The commitment from the City is for the neighborhood and the success of their stated concept to develop north of Brambleton. The City can commit to a specific plan, although it may not be able to commit a specific project. However, a new library or a new court facility might be pretty specific. Condemnation of a run-down bus station would also be pretty specific, as would development of any kind of public use at that location.

That does seem to be the case, but I'm going to be stubborn and reiterate that I think that's a mistake to hinge all hopes on Granby Tower. A good plan isn't about one building. Most of the pieces are already in place, or moving into place. You have the Chrysler Museum and the Opera House. Then you have two of the nicest residential areas of the city: east Ghent and the Freemason area. Then you have the biggest roadway corridor in the vicinity for access (Brambleton), and the Kotarides project and the Federal Court expansion. All that remains is that somewhat derelict patch of land just north of the Granby Tower site. Come up with a good plan for that and the job is done. The Granby investors must be able to see those synergies.

That does seem to be the case, but I'm going to be stubborn and reiterate that I think that's a mistake to hinge all hopes on Granby Tower. A good plan isn't about one building. Most of the pieces are already in place, or moving into place. You have the Chrysler Museum and the Opera House. Then you have two of the nicest residential areas of the city: east Ghent and the Freemason area. Then you have the biggest roadway corridor in the vicinity for access (Brambleton), and the Kotarides project and the Federal Court expansion. All that remains is that somewhat derelict patch of land just north of the Granby Tower site. Come up with a good plan for that and the job is done. The Granby investors must be able to see those synergies.

I'm just waiting for July 1st to come and go with still no signs or progress or movement on the site...i wish someone, the city, the Pilot, anyone would hold Marathon and Gaddams accountable with this catastrophe. A train wreck for the last six months, that's the only way to describe it.

But construction's 'starting soon'.... <_<

I agree that North Brambleton hangs on this project, and i believe this thing will be built eventually, but now Marathon is blaming the delays on the loan. When in doubt, blame the money. Nevermind the project was announced two and a half (?) years ago, and opened a sales pavillion and was days away from construction numerous times, because in reality, they didn't have financing? Unbelievable, literally. More than likely, the original financier saw the trouble this project was in, and bailed. Then another backing game, and asked for a subsidy from the city. Then they still didn't like the lack of sales or the market (understandable, given the condition right now) and bailed. Finally, this bank in CT decided to front the money. But first it's the GSA, then it's weather, construction prices, the market, sales, utilities, GSA (again), city subsidy, and now financing. Oh, and not having any piles. What's next, UFOs? Big Foot? The site's actually a historical landmark? (I realize some of those excuses weren't actually excuses, i'm exaggerating for effect ^_^ )

Marathon and Buddy Gaddams have turned into a joke as a result of this project, and rightfully so. Nothing either of them say is worth anything, just smoke and mirrors, shiftiness and misdirection. Thankfully we'll get a beautiful building out of this, and God willing, the city will never deal with Marathon again, and they can go back to single building restoration, where they belong.

Sorry, i'll step off my soap box, been a few days since i've been on the site, so some pent up hostility :hi:

I hope this really means something. Stay tuned for the next edition of As the Backhoe Turns? I know these projects take a long time to come to fruition and that Gadams is probably in way over his head, but for the sake of Norfolk, I wish him all the best.

This is like someone running a taco stand for ten years, then deciding to open a Michelin rated restaurant. I'm surprised he has gotten this far with the project, but hopefully he has learned some valuable lessons along the way. Even if this thing does get off the ground I worry that the construction phase won't go smoothly or efficiently. How many cost overruns will this project have? I really wish Mr. Gaddams could find a partner to help build Granby, other wise this project could be a disaster. :(

Archived