Granby Tower

utcltjay

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below is a link to the video "Downtown then and Now" of which the last 15 minutes is a very interesting interview with Buddy Gadams. One of the highlights is when they talk about having to secure the "air rights" to construct a building like this. :D . Very informative. An additional quote from Mr. Gadams "The demand for this project has exceeded even our most wild expectations".

Norfolk Development

Below is a link to the video "Downtown then and Now" of which the last 15 minutes  is a very interesting interview with Buddy Gadams. One of the highlights is when they talk about having to secure the "air rights" to construct a building like this.  :D . Very informative. An additional quote from Mr. Gadams "The demand for this project has exceeded even our most wild expectations".

Norfolk Development

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GREAT find vdogg! :D:thumbsup:

great video.. 'demand is incredible'.. '9 cranes in the air'  :blink:  :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think before all is said and done we'll see another condo tower proposed for that area. Perhaps that Florida developer.......hmmm....... :whistling: .

great video.. 'demand is incredible'.. '9 cranes in the air'  :blink:  :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish the video would have detailed the current developments. So lets try and figure this out.

Trader: 2 cranes?

HH: 2 cranes?

Granby: 2 cranes?

Harbor's Edge: 2 cranes

Heart Hospital: 1 crane

that makes 9. could I be on the right track?

I wish the video would have detailed the current developments. So lets try and figure this out.

Trader: 2 cranes?

HH: 2 cranes?

Granby: 2 cranes?

Harbor's Edge: 2 cranes

Heart Hospital: 1 crane

that makes 9. could I be on the right track?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the exception that heart has 2 but is almost complete. By the time all the others have cranes the heart hospital should be done with theres. There will probably be 2 cranes for harbor heights.

Heres my breakdown. (HH=Harbor Heights) (HE: Harbors Edge)

Trader: 2

Hilton: 2 due to large footprint

HH: 2

Granby: 2

HE: 2

So I think they missed one. If the courts complex starts within the next year we'll probably see at least one more.

With the exception that heart has 2 but is almost complete. By the time all the others have cranes the heart hospital should be done with theres. There will probably be 2 cranes for harbor heights.

Hilton:  2 due to large footprint

HH:      2

HE:        2

So I think they missed one. If the courts complex starts within the next year we'll probably see at least one more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah I forgot about the courts complex. man i wish she woulda specified this, but then again i guess we all know what development is going on lol. either way, i can't wait to see these cranes. (come on Trader!! :thumbsup: )

Hilton:  2 due to large footprint

HH:      2

HE:        2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lets not forget the cruise ship building. that would be at least another crane. I don't know that trader will need two cranes considering that the parking is incorporated into the building though. But your right on about the Hilton, at least two cranes.

lets not forget the cruise ship building.  that would be at least another crane.  I don't know that trader will need two cranes considering that the parking is incorporated into the building though.  But your right on about the Hilton, at least two cranes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, i forgot all about the cruise terminal. Thats an awful lot of tower cranes going up. Should make for some great pics.

New businesses, locations & products

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday May 23, 2005

The Norfolk Planning Commission has approved the design and location of a sales pavilion for Granby Tower, the 31-story complex to be built in downtown Norfolk, across from the U.S. Federal Courthouse.

The 4,000-square-foot sales pavilion, to be erected on a vacant lot at the intersection of Boush and Charlotte streets near the site of the proposed high rise, will have a decorated prototype home as well as touch screens where visitors can see floor plans and views. A grand opening for the sales pavilion is expected to take place in September.

Marathon Development Co. will construct the project, expected to begin in 2006 and finish in 2007.

Heritage Bankshares Inc. announced earlier this month that its bank subsidiary Heritage Bank & Trust has entered into a lease for office space in the Little Neck Towers Building to open its first branch in Virginia Beach.

Annabelle and Jack Walsh are the new owners of Taylor Rental Party Plus and Norfolk Tent Rental, located at 5625 E. Virginia Beach Blvd., Norfolk. Taylor Rental, a franchise of Illinois-based True Value, is a division of Norfolk Tent Co., founded in Hampton Roads in 1907.

New businesses, locations & products

Monday May 23, 2005

The Norfolk Planning Commission has approved the design and location of a sales pavilion for Granby Tower, the 31-story complex to be built in downtown Norfolk, across from the U.S. Federal Courthouse.

The 4,000-square-foot sales pavilion, to be erected on a vacant lot at the intersection of Boush and Charlotte streets near the site of the proposed high rise, will have a decorated prototype home as well as touch screens where visitors can see floor plans and views. A grand opening for the sales pavilion is expected to take place in September.

Marathon Development Co. will construct the project, expected to begin in 2006 and finish in 2007.

Heritage Bankshares Inc. announced earlier this month that its bank subsidiary Heritage Bank & Trust has entered into a lease for office space in the Little Neck Towers Building to open its first branch in Virginia Beach.

Annabelle and Jack Walsh are the new owners of Taylor Rental Party Plus and Norfolk Tent Rental, located at 5625 E. Virginia Beach Blvd., Norfolk. Taylor Rental, a franchise of Illinois-based True Value, is a division of Norfolk Tent Co., founded in Hampton Roads in 1907.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes! I was looking all over insidebiz for new news but i missed this. Wow, they're really going all out on the marketing aren't they. Sales pavillion with touch screens? You can bet i'll be the first visitor in there. I wonder why the Westin doesn't do something like this?

Wow, they're really going all out on the marketing

I would have to say so!! Good lord they're building a 4,000 sq. ft. sales office.

Also, did you see this? If you need to edit or move please feel free vdogg

Only edited a bit, kept the most important parts in

Interest high in former Obici site

Developers lining up for site slated for mixed-use project

By Janet Dunphy

Monday May 23, 2005

The city of Suffolk is hoping to transform a former hospital site on North Main Street into a mixed-use development.

The city and its Industrial Development Authority are looking for ?visionary partners.?

The hospital and its auxiliary buildings have been demolished.

?This vision includes, but is not limited to, a mixed-use concept that could include retail, office and residential development which will optimize connectivity and create a pedestrian-friendly place that encourages interaction and includes open space,? says the request for qualifications.

In addition, the request suggests a multi-story, high-density residential development that would take advantage of the property?s unique views and vistas as well as retail and office development.

The city hopes to maximize property values as taxable real estate and stimulate the local economy through construction and long-term job creation, according to the request. The developer would buy the land.

?The city is certainly interested in mixed-use. There are examples to a larger degree around the city,? said Wright, noting the Harbour View development.

Does the city have a model in mind for North Main Street?

?Not really,? said Wright. ?Right now we just want to identify a development partner and come up with a plan.?

Harbour View consists of 2,000 acres that has so far been developed into office, commercial, light industrial, residential and a golf course. The Bon Secours Health Center is located there as well as the TowneBank Operations Center, according to the city?s economic development Web site.

Cowles ?Buddy? Spencer, the founder and president of Mid-Atlantic Commercial in Yorktown, said he met with various Suffolk officials to talk about the Main Street property.

?I?m impressed with the open manner of the city in seeking partners,? Spencer said.

He was initially interested in building senior housing there, but Spencer said the city clearly wants a more diverse project.

?They are very enamored with Port Warwick,? he said.

Port Warwick is a 150-acre, pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use development in Newport News.

Spencer said the Suffolk development would be both capital- and time-intensive.

?It will get a lot of interest, but it would restrict what else we could do at the same time,? he said.

?I think a mixed-use would work, but to what extent, I don?t know,? said Spencer, adding that the density might need to be increased. ?It needs a person with deep pockets and a deep vision.?

In addition, the request suggests a multi-story, high-density residential development that would take advantage of the property?s unique views and vistas as well as retail and office development.

High density and multi-story? In Suffolk?

I think that it would be great for them! I don't know if any contractor will jump on it but, I hope they do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason it works in Norfolk and Va. Beach is because the land pressures exist to make it work, i.e. we don't have a choice. I'm not sure that such conditions exist in Suffolk yet.

The reason it works in Norfolk and Va. Beach is because the land pressures exist to make it work, i.e. we don't have a choice. I'm not sure that such conditions exist in Suffolk yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they are trying not start the sprawling effect that seems to be starting in Suffolk. I think the city is thinking ahead and they are trying to bring in more revenue in as well

Archived