Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

37 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Yes---a major league baseball stadium could fit there with some work.  Would be an excellent location. The NES building with the dome could be incorporated into the design.  I have put up diagrams, etc. in the MLB to Nashville thread over the years. 

I think preserving the street grid would be necessary. There are already few options to get around in this area.

On 7/4/2023 at 2:02 PM, Native said:

It was the Methodists that started Vanderbilt University .    The Commodore gave $1,000,000 to Bishop Holland McTyeire and he built the college in the 1870's.    But you are right, these schools are a big plus for the city.

Yes thx for the correction but for more exact historical reference, it was the Methodist Episcopal Church, as the highly ambitious Mctyeire was a Bishop, not a modern Methodist.  BTW The Commodore's $1M gift, applying the 1914 value to the gold standard dollar is $30M+ in 2023 dollars, probablly much more since it was an 1873 gift. The Bishop had a fantastic stash to start with, with additional church funding no doubt. Thank you Gentlemen for your legacy. Not to forget the Bishop's wife Amelia who was key to the whole thing with probably powerful persuasion exercised with her cousin by marriage Cornelius.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

Today this morning from Instagram Sky5. 

IMG_6012.jpeg

Is this building still called International Plaza?  Prior to Nortel Networks (now defunct) moving to Metro Center, their US Headquarters was in the building.  The first summer I interned with them was in that building in 1980.  Back during that time people generally just referred to the building as the "gold building."   The old airport terminal was in walking distance of that building.  There used to be a Hilton Hotel in that green space next to it.  Other than its proximity to the airport, I never understood why whomever built that building chose to build it in that location.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Is this building still called International Plaza?  Prior to Nortel Networks (now defunct) moving to Metro Center, their US Headquarters was in the building.  The first summer I interned with them was in that building in 1980.  Back during that time people generally just referred to the building as the "gold building."   The old airport terminal was in walking distance of that building.  There used to be a Hilton Hotel in that green space next to it.  Other than its proximity to the airport, I never understood why whomever built that building chose to build it in that location.

I think you answered your own question. :lol:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I worked in the "gold building" as well.  Our company, Anglo-American Auto Auctions had our offices there in the 80's.

• Like 1