Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

I posted this on the airlines and flights thread, but figured I would post it here as well.  

Regardless of who the blame for this incident ends up being placed on.  This is an entirely unacceptable event on all levels, and could have easily ended in catastrophe.  The event has been confirmed by Frontier Airlines and appears to have been regarding the Frontier flight to Las Vegas on February 15th.

This has the potential to get blown up as a national news story.  

• Confused 1

I don't follow this sort of information closely (perhaps as much as I should), but do you know if that information has been escalated to the BNA airport management?  Even via a FB page if that's the only way to 'run that up the flagpole'.  Social media is so powerful, perhaps that's the way to help make it a national news story. Looks like a person(s) slacked on their job. Inexcusable. 

Frontier stated they have already fired the vendor they were using for deicing at BNA.  I'm sure the airport was quickly made aware.  Any given major airport will have several options for airlines to contract  out ground services too, and luckily it seems this one was only used by Frontier, and maybe a few other carriers.  It is not standard procedure for the flight crew to get out and inspect the deicing job once complete.  They rely on the contractor to give them the all clear.  In this case they gave them the all clear, when it very visibly was not.  Multiple aviation sources have stated that the involved contractor (Trego Dugan), has a track record of poor management.  

The Air Florida Flight 90 incident is a textbook example of what the outcome can be when de-icing isn't properly executed.  De-icing is an oft-taken for granted, but crucial part of winter operations

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/01/13/air-florida-flight-90-crashed-potomac-37-years-ago/2565245002/

It appears the shortage of deicing fluid may have been due to a pipe bursting about halfway through the winter weather event, and it affected deicing operations for everyone except Southwest.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I don't follow this sort of information closely (perhaps as much as I should), but do you know if that information has been escalated to the BNA airport management?  Even via a FB page if that's the only way to 'run that up the flagpole'.  Social media is so powerful, perhaps that's the way to help make it a national news story. Looks like a person(s) slacked on their job. Inexcusable. 

Imagine if the people in those window seats had the shades pulled down or weren't paying attention. I don't often fly in the winter, so I'm not sure I would have realized at the time that this was a potential disaster. Somebody was really on their toes that day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier-de-icing-issue/

Here is a basic explanation of what happened.  

Basically there are two types of fluid used for deicing (type I and type IV).  Type I is used for the  melting of ice and Type IV is used to protect against additional build up (but is not effective at melting away existing ice).  The contractor had a shortage of Type I, but instead of informing the flight crew that they couldn't complete the deicing.  Decided to use mostly Type IV (which essentially did nothing), and told the flight crew that the wings were clear.  Inexcusable.  

They should be put in jail for this!! 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 8:56 AM, bigeasy said:

Crazy to think that the whole month of April 2020 was roughly the daily average pre-pandemic

Well 2-3 days, but your point is correct

We've had 4 days in a row now where the total USA emplanements have exceeded 1 million passengers - first time since, you already know, March 2020. Things really spiked for Spring Break; will have to see where that leads

• Like 2