Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

20 minutes ago, Sean blackdog said:

Yeah. Born & raised. :whistling:

:good: Good deal.

You've been on UP for less than a month, but it feels like much longer than that because you've already shared so much content with us. Keep it up! We love new posters, and not to play favorites, but we especially love those who come with pictures. 

I grew up in the Nashville area but have been in Knoxville for school since 2015. Posters like you keep me up to speed on all the action back home. The growth in Nashville over the last four years is surreal to me, partly because my new home in Knoxville is much quieter and less busy. But, Nashville's growth could feel surreal to anyone. It isn't common for a city to land Amazon, an MLS expansion team, several company office openings, the NFL Draft, and a shot at hosting the World Cup in the span of two years. Not to mention the billion-dollar airport facelift that we're getting. It just doesn't feel real.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LA_TN said:

First, consider the following:

20190429_185839.thumb.jpg.4fdef5259371fffef7b3417db2652c75.jpg

1) The airport thinks it has 3 parallel runways. The crosswind 13/31 is a "nice to have" but all aircraft operations will be directed to the parallel runways in the future and 13/31 will be phased out (dear Tony, bring back big Sig!)

2) In the future, a new terminal will be required; but, the location has not been determined. Thus it would be a poor decision to expand 2R/20L, at this time, because it is likely to be relocated

3) Although it is impossible to to have simultaneous landings/takeoffs from 2C, it does allow for simultaneous aircraft operations (ex. 2C takeoff while a 2L is on final approach)

Next, consider the Terminal beyond BNA Vision:

1436197275_Screenshot_20190429-191813_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.ad802f9f4c18bbd5229b2fdd77926e19.jpg

Concourse A will be essentially rebuilt to add additional gates; but, more importantly, will be designed to accommodate Class V aircraft (777, etc) and have full width double lanes between A and B to allow simultaneous entry/exit from the terminal gates area for large aircraft. Large planes will, of course, be accommodated at the International T gates, while Concourses C and D will always be dedicated to smaller aircraft (737 and smaller) due to space constraints. **The location of the Central Utility Plant is terminus of the cooling pipes leading to the old quarry pit

With that said, all large aircraft (international or domestic) will be utilizing the A/B side of the airport. Landing large aircraft on 2R going to the T gates or A/B would require a long taxi. This is a "no" for daily international flights 

Now, here is the 2L/20R extension:

1087004298_Screenshot_20190429-184423_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.165237d3c8ab70bb832099a5a485ed6d.jpg

1) 11 property acquisitions are required or the entire project is off

2) The Genesco building will remain. The 2 one-story buildings (MNPD, etc) would have to be "trimmed back" and new egress to the property established

3) Mcgavock Pike, 99.9% chance bye-bye

4) Murfreesboro Rd tunnel extension is a challenge

Conclusion: the 2L/20R extension has been in the planning for 40+ years, requires the least property acquisition, and is on the "correct" side of terminal

Thank , great info. Glad it is 2L/20R due to it being on the correct side of the terminal. The taxi from 2R/20R makes me feel like in landed in DFW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

BNA Sets New Record for Number of Screened Passengers in a Single Day

29,731 screened passengers on Sunday, May 5, a new single-day record for BNA

The previous record was set Monday, Nov. 12, 2018, with 28,550 screened passengers.

On average, approximately 20,000 departing passengers are screened each day at BNA.

It’s crazy days around the draft didn’t break this record. Just a seemingly normal Sunday. We may be in for several more record days this year...

• Like 4

18 hours ago, LA_TN said:

BNA Sets New Record for Number of Screened Passengers in a Single Day

29,731 screened passengers on Sunday, May 5, a new single-day record for BNA

The previous record was set Monday, Nov. 12, 2018, with 28,550 screened passengers.

On average, approximately 20,000 departing passengers are screened each day at BNA.

I was on I-40 and drove past the airport exit Sunday about 9 a.m. -- it was the first time I'd ever seen vehicle traffic slowed and backed up all the way down the airport exit ramp and onto I-40 itself. That seemed very unusual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I suppose it's obvious to you guys up there, but what was the event that contributed to the surge in air travelers? 

That was what I was trying to get at in my mis-typed post above. I don't know of anything special about this past weekend. I am very surprised the record was broken this past weekend but NOT the weekend after the draft. 

• Like 2

Atlanta's airport was a Delta hub when it was built in 1959, but 'hub' meant something different at the time due to airline regs. Granted, the removal of many of those regs as they directly affected their operations, plus the addition of Eastern as a hub, made the airport obsolete in less than 20 years.  

BNA is sort of the reverse phenomenon. It was built as a hub, albeit small. So the impact of its rapid growth in recent years has been on its front operations. Looks like the existing plan is addressing that well. But the thing few could have foreseen was the realistic possibility of so many more domestic destinations and (now) international travel. That's what I wonder how it will ultimately be addressed. I appreciate the above explanation of the runway expansions, but if current trends continue, BNA will likely need a whole separate concourse (terminal?) by 2030.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, leggy77 said:

Don't get too excited with all the new local restaurants that were announced, hearing a lot of them are pulling out of the planned "new" concourses due operation costs. Especially true for the smaller ones.

That's really unfortunate -- those local spots were really going to give BNA a fun, unique Nashville vibe. Filling the airport with Cinnabon and Chik-fil-A just won't be the same.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, memphian said:

....restaurant concept that hasn’t figured out how to serve someone who isn’t in an actual dining environment.....

And this is the exact problem on the operations side as well. These concepts are not experienced in the demands of serving in the airport. They are going to have to use an expereinced third party like Delaware North etc. for operations and at that point there are too many middle men for the smaller local concepts to be profitable.

In 10-15 years there will be hardly any A380 aircraft flying anywhere in the world since Airbus has discontinued building the plane.   More international gates are needed at BNA, but none will be required for the whale.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sean blackdog said:

I  wish Emirates Airlines Airbus a380 land in BNA next 10 to 15 year later. Need rebuilt on  Concourse A  for International flights very soon.  :whistling:

A7B9162A-7189-4BA7-AEAD-BF49AA814C4E.jpeg

I think they’ll have many, if not most of those whales retired by then, and the ones that are left will be serving slot restrained high-demand airports. Unfortunate, but I think they’re going to be looking to go smaller and more economical, with more modern fuel-efficient engines than the ole 4-holers. 

It is cheaper to fly two 777 than one A380.  As others have noted, the A380 will only fly to a few select slot restricted airports, in the future. Only Emirates, with its old-style hub, can justify the cost of flying them

The dreamliner 787 is a grand slam by Boeing and we likely see more of these or 777, possibly A350. Not likely BNA will ever get a 747 flight, either (because the 747 is also retired)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

It is cheaper to fly two 777 than one A380.  As others have noted, the A380 will only fly to a few select slot restricted airports, in the future. Only Emirates, with its old-style hub, can justify the cost of flying them

The dreamliner 787 is a grand slam by Boeing and we likely see more of these or 777, possibly A350. Not likely BNA will ever get a 747 flight, either (because the 747 is also retired)

Oh,  dang. I think Emirates order new Airbus a330-900neo or a 350-900 maybe  Boeing 777-8 or 9. :dontknow:

5 hours ago, LA_TN said:

The 747 is still being produced, and folks expected it to die off because of the A380. Well, now ain't that some s**t now that the latter's end of production was announced a few months back.