Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

The Airport has installed exit lane breach control doors at A/B and C/D Concourse exits. Sensors automatically open the one-way exit door to the Grand Lobby as passengers approach. The addition alerts BNA to security breaches and allows for seamless traffic flow.

https://flynashville.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Passenger-FAQ-dormakaba-Exit-Lane-Breach-Control.pdf?utm_term=nashtoday&utm_campaign=daily-newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=nashtoday&utm_content=nashtoday

• Like 2

Driving past the airport on I-40E this weekend, I noticed that there were exit signs recommending different exits for Departing (216A) and Arriving (216B) flights at BNA, which I don't remember being there before. I just double-checked myself on google maps and it matches what I remember, with 216A being marked as "Int'l Airport" and 216B being marked as "Air Freight." If this change is accurate, I assume the goal is to try to avoid the massive backup of cars at the 216A exit, but does anyone know if this is a temporary or permanent change in signage?

8 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

Driving past the airport on I-40E this weekend, I noticed that there were exit signs recommending different exits for Departing (216A) and Arriving (216B) flights at BNA, which I don't remember being there before. I just double-checked myself on google maps and it matches what I remember, with 216A being marked as "Int'l Airport" and 216B being marked as "Air Freight." If this change is accurate, I assume the goal is to try to avoid the massive backup of cars at the 216A exit, but does anyone know if this is a temporary or permanent change in signage?

Not sure how permanent it is, but I'd assume if this is the fix for the traffic situation until Donelson Pike can get relocated and the traffic flow within BNA can get reworked then the signage will probably be there for a good while.

For what it's worth, it seems like this may be a good fix if folks start using this system. Exit 216B ends up looping you in to the left side of traffic at the choke point, while Exit 216A brings you in on the right side. One of the major contributing factors to why 216A is currently backing up on the interstate consistently is people are parked in their cars at arrivals waiting for folks. The resulting line of cars blocks all three lanes of traffic because cars are going from the right side to the left, which means people can't get to departures which is relatively free flowing in comparison. If 216B is marked for arrivals, that long line of folks behind parked cars can be kept to the left side of the choke point (and ultimately spill out on to Donelson Pike instead of I-24 if necessary), keeping the right side clear for folks coming in from 216A to go to departures.

image.thumb.png.3697e1959e4cc41e8625c263650e6809.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deepdish53 said:

Not sure how permanent it is, but I'd assume if this is the fix for the traffic situation until Donelson Pike can get relocated and the traffic flow within BNA can get reworked then the signage will probably be there for a good while.

For what it's worth, it seems like this may be a good fix if folks start using this system. Exit 216B ends up looping you in to the left side of traffic at the choke point, while Exit 216A brings you in on the right side. One of the major contributing factors to why 216A is currently backing up on the interstate consistently is people are parked in their cars at arrivals waiting for folks. The resulting line of cars blocks all three lanes of traffic because cars are going from the right side to the left, which means people can't get to departures which is relatively free flowing in comparison. If 216B is marked for arrivals, that long line of folks behind parked cars can be kept to the left side of the choke point (and ultimately spill out on to Donelson Pike instead of I-24 if necessary), keeping the right side clear for folks coming in from 216A to go to departures.

image.thumb.png.3697e1959e4cc41e8625c263650e6809.png

Similarly,  I have also seen how cars attempting to get across 3 lanes of traffic to the Valet entrance on the far left here is causing a lot of snarls right where this photo is taken. 

It seems like it should have been set up so Valet customers would have been routed just like Terminal Garage customers and Rental Car returns, who all go left at the previous split  off of the 216A ramp and then drive around the North side to enter the garages from the East.   Maybe they could have used the Rental Car return lane jointly for Valet as well. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

^off topic, but doesn't it sort of defeat the purpose of having a shoulder if you plop a guard rail right into the middle of it?  

I agree.  Quite honestly, I'm wondering why did they not choose to do a longer exit lane to go southbound on Donelson Pike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nothingspectacular said:

BNA really needs to accelerate the timetable for replacing the Concourse A. I flew in/out of A recently on United and can attest to how crowded, hot and totally unappealing it is. The rest rooms were not clean and the AC was really struggling. 

Is the plan to replace the existing portion, or to extended it in an L-shape with additional gates? And wasn't it recently "upgraded" as the temporary International gates?

4 minutes ago, Chato_reyes said:

Returned from MYR on Saturday and have the following to report (no pics unfortunately):

On the topic of Economy 😄 the lower third of the lot remains roped off and the exits inoperable. 2/3 exit lanes at main plaza opened and the lines got rather long as the machines are finicky. You'd think that a facility operated almost as a for-profit entity would try and sell everything they can.

Agree with you.  The exit pay stations are using very old ticket stub/card reader equipment.  They struggle to process newer credit cards with chips. Several times now I’ve had to cancel and start over with a non chip card.   My assumption is the Airport is postponing modernizing the pay stations until the economy lots and interior loop are all redesigned after the Donelson Pike relocation.  

• Like 1