PROPOSED: Vista Della Torre

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City could be selling air rights over Federal Hill

The developer looking to build a controversial Federal Hill condominium tower has been given preliminary approval by the City Council to buy the air rights above the site where he hopes to build, but he will still need a zoning variance before the project can go forward.

I agree, in terms of location I would never spend that amount of money to live in that section of the city. The prices 333 Atwells is showing are much more accurate and they fit into the streetscape as well. This type of project should be built downtown. I can't picture the typical person living there actually walking around that area of Federal Hill or across the overpass downtown. So, it's basically promoting an out-of-towner with a car. Even if this goes through approval, I don't see anyone buying these, while the market is up or down. Even if these were turned into rentals, fetching $3K+, no one would pay that when you could live elsewhere. Maybe the developer can switch his locale and put it where 110 should have been. :rolleyes:

but as i said before, there's already a whole bunch of condos in a probably more higher demand area going for the same prices. i don't know who would spend $2 million to live on federal hill (don't get me wrong, i love federal hill, but if i had that kind of money, i wouldn't live on the hill) right next to the service road and behind dominica manor... but to live in the heart of capital center on waterplace park or down the street from the best downcity has to offer with the amenities of a full service hotel... yeah, that'd be worth it. this place would really have to offer a lot to get someone to buy a condo for that much with the 2 current condo developments that are just about ready (the westin may already be occupied) for occupation.

I agree, in terms of location I would never spend that amount of money to live in that section of the city. The prices 333 Atwells is showing are much more accurate and they fit into the streetscape as well. This type of project should be built downtown. I can't picture the typical person living there actually walking around that area of Federal Hill or across the overpass downtown. So, it's basically promoting an out-of-towner with a car. Even if this goes through approval, I don't see anyone buying these, while the market is up or down. Even if these were turned into rentals, fetching $3K+, no one would pay that when you could live elsewhere. Maybe the developer can switch his locale and put it where 110 should have been. :rolleyes:

Dunkin Donuts with parking and a drive thru along with easier access from the service road...maybe?...I highly doubt any residential tower will be put up now. This housing crisis is going to last for more than a few quarters. If any high rise gets built, my guess would be housing for the elderly.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jimmy - I guess I'd forgotten that the Council still needed to approve the decision of the Public Works Committee.

I think many people have felt that this project is ill-conceived and could use some significant revisions in terms of architecture and site plan. Two points that I raised in my letter to the Public Works Committee last month:

• Rather than integrate and enhance the surrounding area, the site plan seeks to reshape the

neighborhood to suit the specific needs of this project in a way that is reminiscent of suburban

development. By bridging the site across Federal Street, the project disrupts the street pattern,

isolates the building from the streetscape and leaves behind a small, awkward patch of land along

Broadway.

• The physical and functional dominance of Vista della Torre along this section of Federal Street

would convert this public right-of-way into a semi-private right-of-way where vehicular and

pedestrian traffic by the general public would be discouraged.

Once the developer is granted air rights, the plans will likely remain unchanged. This upcoming Council meeting is the last chance to get the developer to make any substantive changes to the architecture and site plan of VDT.

If this concerns you, contact your Council member and ask them to vote against granting air rights, and then call the Mayor's office and let them know how you feel about this project.

From the docket of the March 6, 2008, Providence City Council meeting docket:

Resolution Granting a permanent, perpetual right, privilege and subterranean easement to allow the owner to locate a portion of the proposed condominium parking garage in the ground below Bradford Street.

I spoke to someone in the Mayor's office and raised 2 points about the air rights:

• Precedent - From my recollection, there are only two buildings in Providence that are built over public streets: Rhode Island Hospital and the Convention Center. Since both of these properties have a defined public use, this would be the first time that a private developer was granted the right to build over a ROW. There is also a question of whether the air rights should be sold outright, as currently proposed, or leased by the City for a specified period. Given the financial straits that the City is in, I'd prefer to see such rights leased.

• Access - Both vehicular and pedestrian traffic along Federal Street will be impeded by this project. The purpose of the arch is to serve as a porte-cochere that will allow condo residents and their guests to temporarily park their cars in a covered area and enter the building. It would be natural to assume that, over time, the residents of VDT would consider that section of the road and both sides of the sidewalk to be "theirs" and take steps to maximize their use of it while securing it from the public-at-large. This would obviously set-up a confrontational situation between VDT and the traveling public.

The woman who I spoke with said she'd relay my concerns to Rita Murphy, who is the mayor's liaison to the City Council. We'll see what happens tonight.

I spoke to someone in the Mayor's office and raised 2 points about the air rights:

• Precedent - From my recollection, there are only two buildings in Providence that are built over public streets: Rhode Island Hospital and the Convention Center. Since both of these properties have a defined public use, this would be the first time that a private developer was granted the right to build over a ROW. There is also a question of whether the air rights should be sold outright, as currently proposed, or leased by the City for a specified period. Given the financial straits that the City is in, I'd prefer to see such rights leased.

• Access - Both vehicular and pedestrian traffic along Federal Street will be impeded by this project. The purpose of the arch is to serve as a porte-cochere that will allow condo residents and their guests to temporarily park their cars in a covered area and enter the building. It would be natural to assume that, over time, the residents of VDT would consider that section of the road and both sides of the sidewalk to be "theirs" and take steps to maximize their use of it while securing it from the public-at-large. This would obviously set-up a confrontational situation between VDT and the traveling public.

The woman who I spoke with said she'd relay my concerns to Rita Murphy, who is the mayor's liaison to the City Council. We'll see what happens tonight.

Archived