• More housing for a great neighborhood

• More people (tenants) to patronize local restaurants and shops

• Architectural diversity for the neighborhood

• The arch will be "like the one at Rowe's Wharf in Boston"

• New construction will revitalize the neighborhood

among other things...

Opposed:

• The building is too tall for the neighborhood

• The building will act like a visual wall between Federal Hill and Downcity

• The building will "stick out like a sore thumb" among the skyline

• Variances should not be granted for a major neighborhood change until PVD Tomorrow Charrettes have completed

among other things...

This is just what I remember off the top of my head from the meeting. I'm sure more points were made, and, again, I left before all opposing statements were heard.

Agreed that those points in favor of the project are important. However, those goals could have also been accomplished within the existing more urban friendly zoning.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is just a matter of time before they "realize" they can't do the arch and just come back for a street abandonment for Federal. And if they time it right (ie. before 2010) they will probably get it.

Edit: Ha. In a neighborhood (meaning the businesses, not the residents) that reveres the parking lot, i cannot believe that one of the selling points was that the architecture would "revitalize the neighborhood." Ah the irony.

I think it is just a matter of time before they "realize" they can't do the arch and just come back for a street abandonment for Federal. And if they time it right (ie. before 2010) they will probably get it.

Edit: Ha. In a neighborhood (meaning the businesses, not the residents) that reveres the parking lot, i cannot believe that one of the selling points was that the architecture would "revitalize the neighborhood." Ah the irony.

Let me preface by saying this post in no way is a sign of support for this project.

Spending some time in Boston over the weekend and all of the talk about New York City in the Blue Cross headquarter's thread has me thinking what NYC would look like had there been a Neighborhood approval process in the early 1900's. There is alot of sh*t Architecture in both of these cities; it is the fabric and massing of the cities that make them great despite the crap.

"Providence" needs to decide if it wants to be a growing city or a post industrial wasteland trying to act like a city. We can't dismiss every project because we don't like it or because it is in our backyard.

Many people choose to live in an urban area, some don't like it so they move to the Burb's. You have to take the good with the bad.

While I admire the effort of some on this sh*tbox, you have to fight corruption by cutting off the head of the problem not by barking at the ankles.

Let me preface by saying this post in no way is a sign of support for this project.

Spending some time in Boston over the weekend and all of the talk about New York City in the Blue Cross headquarter's thread has me thinking what NYC would look like had there been a Neighborhood approval process in the early 1900's. There is alot of sh*t Architecture in both of these cities; it is the fabric and massing of the cities that make them great despite the crap.

"Providence" needs to decide if it wants to be a growing city or a post industrial wasteland trying to act like a city. We can't dismiss every project because we don't like it or because it is in our backyard.

Many people choose to live in an urban area, some don't like it so they move to the Burb's. You have to take the good with the bad.

While I admire the effort of some on this sh*tbox, you have to fight corruption by cutting of the head of the problem not by barking at the ankles.

you post with such a bias that is tangible that i could grab it like a newspaper

do you live next door to it?

let me ask you this... what do you think of London? Boston? heck, New York....!?!?!

i would love to hear you fight your way out of that corner

i just dont agree with 99.9% of your posts

most of them are uninformed and biased

i feel bad that others may take something away from them without doing their research

good day to you ma'am

you post with such a bias that is tangible that i could grab it like a newspaper

do you live next door to it?

let me ask you this... what do you think of London? Boston? heck, New York....!?!?!

i would love to hear you fight your way out of that corner

i just dont agree with 99.9% of your posts

most of them are uninformed and biased

i feel bad that others may take something away from them without doing their research

good day to you ma'am

• 6 months later...

Archived