Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

13 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I hope this was a joke. The Medical District Collaborative Board should block this super fast. Can they do that?

I think the board can certainly voice displeasure with this proposal. They can also start a petition drive from residents/ citizens against such a plan. There is a huge storage on union @ the intersection of Danny Thomas there is no need for another self storage in the edge area. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 2:58 PM, Memphisborn said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing a Hilton Conrad as the next brand. They have very nice and luxurious brands. Would definitely make a great convention hotel

Hilton Conrad or JW Marriott. I am sure the city will be soliciting someone that is convention oriented. 

On 2/12/2024 at 7:36 PM, TheKernel91 said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2024/02/12/owner-commercial-appeal-building-self-storage.html

No no no. We need a pause on storage faculties in Memphis. I really want the owners to think outside of the box for this property. 

The owner of this property doesn’t live in Memphis or Tennessee, and I hate that Gannett sold it to them. Converting this property into a storage facility is a terrible idea and it does not align with the Memphis 3.0 plan. That is why this should be voted down and I don't see this moving forward. 

Being that close to Southwest Community College, with Beale St on the South side is how it should be envisioned and marketed. Beale St, from Southwest CC to Riverside Dr, should be walkable. This CA property should be a mixed-use development with housing, office, institutional, commercial/retail, lodging, performance, and gallery/exhibition space.  

Now, I question the accuracy of the article, about one half of this property, being under contract a few months back. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:55 PM, JTM1 said:

Hilton Conrad or JW Marriott. I am sure the city will be soliciting someone that is convention oriented. 

The owner of this property doesn’t live in Memphis or Tennessee, and I hate that Gannett sold it to them. Converting this property into a storage facility is a terrible idea and it does not align with the Memphis 3.0 plan. That is why this should be voted down and I don't see this moving forward. 

Being that close to Southwest Community College, with Beale St on the South side is how it should be envisioned and marketed. Beale St, from Southwest CC to Riverside Dr, should be walkable. This CA property should be a mixed-use development with housing, office, institutional, commercial/retail, lodging, performance, and gallery/exhibition space.  

Now, I question the accuracy of the article, about one half of this property, being under contract a few months back. 

Definitely mixed use, we should email if you haven’t the medical center collaborative group about advocating against a proposal like this. It’s senseless and  certainly not the highest and best use of this property CA has so much potential to add to Beale st/ edge district it should never be storage space that’s a ridiculous plan and waste of building 

• Like 1

Was this article written by AI?  I found it comical.  

"The AutoZone Skybridge transforms the Memphis skyline"

"a symbol of the modernization gripping Downtown Memphis"

"architectural marvel"

"Residents and urban planners alike are engaged in a spirited discussion about the bridge's potential effects on urban density and street activity, questioning whether it may lead to a less vibrant streetscape by diverting foot traffic away from the sidewalks below."

"This boom extends to the realm of retail and hospitality, highlighted by the expansion of Boshi Botanicals, the arrival of a new Lakeshore Learning location"

Seems like a lot of extreme exaggerations.  

https://bnnbreaking.com/local-news/skybridge-sparks-urban-debate-in-downtown-memphis

3 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Was this article written by AI?  I found it comical.  

"The AutoZone Skybridge transforms the Memphis skyline"

"a symbol of the modernization gripping Downtown Memphis"

"architectural marvel"

"Residents and urban planners alike are engaged in a spirited discussion about the bridge's potential effects on urban density and street activity, questioning whether it may lead to a less vibrant streetscape by diverting foot traffic away from the sidewalks below."

"This boom extends to the realm of retail and hospitality, highlighted by the expansion of Boshi Botanicals, the arrival of a new Lakeshore Learning location"

Seems like a lot of extreme exaggerations.  

https://bnnbreaking.com/local-news/skybridge-sparks-urban-debate-in-downtown-memphis

And then I see this article from the Commercial appeal that looks like an AI bot stole all the info from.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2024/02/20/autozone-skybridge-downtown-memphis-holiday-inn-express-dermon-building/72542867007/

On 2/18/2024 at 2:07 PM, Memphisborn said:

Definitely mixed use, we should email if you haven’t the medical center collaborative group about advocating against a proposal like this. It’s senseless and  certainly not the highest and best use of this property CA has so much potential to add to Beale st/ edge district it should never be storage space that’s a ridiculous plan and waste of building 

I spoke to a business owner about this and she was confused. They want to sell the property, but also  turn a part into a storage facility. I really hope a local buy it, because what they're suggesting isn't a good option. 

American Queen Voyages is shutting down.  They are filing for bankruptcy and looking for a buyer.  I don't remember how many passengers they bring to Memphis, but it will be a hit as its not insignificant.   Hopefully a new operator gets them back up and running.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/river-cruise-line-american-queen-voyages-shuts-down-8597898

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

American Queen Voyages is shutting down.  They are filing for bankruptcy and looking for a buyer.  I don't remember how many passengers they bring to Memphis, but it will be a hit as its not insignificant.   Hopefully a new operator gets them back up and running.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/river-cruise-line-american-queen-voyages-shuts-down-8597898

COVID aside, the river cruise industry in general had been largely affected by the record low levels of the mighty Mississippi River over the last couple of years due to drought. It's unfortunate, but hopefully someone buys the ships and put them to new use.

7 minutes ago, James Owen said:

COVID aside, the river cruise industry in general had been largely affected by the record low levels of the mighty Mississippi River over the last couple of years due to drought. It's unfortunate, but hopefully someone buys the ships and put them to new use.

That, and Viking has entered the market.  With probably much nicer amenities.  I'm sure that has cut into their bottom line too.  

On 2/23/2024 at 10:12 AM, MDC26 said:

Viking and the other American still has ships docking.  I am sure the pandemic and the low river contributed to the problems this company faced, but mismanagement was the key issue that drove this company out of business.  

I read that one of the AQV ships is still registered with a Memphis address. I wish someone local would buy their fleet. Then  Memphis Tourism can promote their ships as hotel rooms for large conventions. 

On 12/7/2023 at 10:29 PM, MDC26 said:

BCBS adding sign to top of Commonwealth building. Are they moving out of their current building and downsizing to Commonwealth building? Also, MLGW is hitting pause on move to East Memphis at this time  

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoodsdowntown/article/40336/memphis-commonwealth-building-rooftop-sign

4CC89A34-F2C6-47D7-8FF0-45F9099DC7C8.jpeg

A follow-up on this. BCBST made its plans to relocate its Memphis operations official this week.

Blue Cross Blue Shield moving into the Commonwealth Building in Downtown Memphis

Neil Strebig, Memphis Commercial Appeal

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2024/02/26/blue-cross-blue-shield-of-tennessee-in-memphis-moving-commonwealth-building/72750517007/

According to the permit filed, the 8,700-square-foot renovation will cost an estimated $150,000 and is part of tenant improvement work on the sixth and seventh floors of the building.

Stuart Harris of Constellation Properties confirmed that Blue Cross Blue Shield is moving into about 12,000 square feet of office space on the sixth and seventh floors of the Commonwealth Building. Harris said the seventh floor is approximately 8,700 square feet and the sixth floor has about 3,200 square feet of office space for the healthcare provider.

They're also exploring options for its property along Danny Thomas between Jefferson and Adams avenues, which they are vacating in this move.

10 hours ago, James Owen said:

A follow-up on this. BCBST made its plans to relocate its Memphis operations official this week.

Blue Cross Blue Shield moving into the Commonwealth Building in Downtown Memphis

Neil Strebig, Memphis Commercial Appeal

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2024/02/26/blue-cross-blue-shield-of-tennessee-in-memphis-moving-commonwealth-building/72750517007/

They're also exploring options for its property along Danny Thomas between Jefferson and Adams avenues, which they are vacating in this move.

One article said their going from 69,000 sqft to 12,000 sqft.  There's now two empty office buildings next to each other on Danny Thomas.  I wonder if these could be an option for MLGW.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not at all surprised by this news. The building just doesn't seem like a good fit for multifamily. Hopefully the owner can find a buyer. We really don't need a tower at the front of downtown standing empty.

Multifamily conversion at Downtown skyscraper is now off; owner open to sale

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2024/03/14/50-n-front-tower-multifamily-conversion-downtown.html

The owners of the former Raymond James Tower at 50 N. Front St. are no longer going forward with their plans for a multifamily conversion.

On Feb. 5, the owner's development entity, 50 N. Front Street LLC, withdrew a pair of commercial alteration permits filed with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development. Those original permits, filed in June 2022, indicated that the owners planned to spend more than $37 million to convert most of the building into multifamily units. The permit to convert floors 3 to 11 was valued at $17.82 million, and the one to convert floors 12 through 21 was valued at $19.8 million.

image.thumb.jpeg.39df161fa7524739a7396227a7fdb408.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I'm not at all surprised by this news. The building just doesn't seem like a good fit for multifamily. Hopefully the owner can find a buyer. We really don't need a tower at the front of downtown standing empty.

Multifamily conversion at Downtown skyscraper is now off; owner open to sale

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2024/03/14/50-n-front-tower-multifamily-conversion-downtown.html

image.thumb.jpeg.39df161fa7524739a7396227a7fdb408.jpeg

I didn't believe it made sense either to turn the tower entirely into residential - especially with the adjacent Falls Building being converted from office to multifamily use as well.

What I would like to see happen to the former Morgan Keegan/Raymond James Tower is a mixed-use conversion that includes a hotel and retail component (considering it was built on the same footprint where the old Hotel King Cotton once stood), while also allowing for some residential units on the upper floors.

• Like 2

Maybe a bit off topic for developments in downtown Memphis, but I saw an instagram comment about the Memphis trolly system, and someone said only 1 of the 3 lines was currently running.  They said buses are replacing the trollies for now on those 2 lines.

Is this accurate, and if so, what is the issue with the other 2 lines? Weren't they supposed to be fixed and operational several years ago?

The trollies are such an original fun feature of Memphis. I hope they can get up and running. Sad to hear they are down.

6 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Maybe a bit off topic for developments in downtown Memphis, but I saw an instagram comment about the Memphis trolly system, and someone said only 1 of the 3 lines was currently running.  They said buses are replacing the trollies for now on those 2 lines.

Is this accurate, and if so, what is the issue with the other 2 lines? Weren't they supposed to be fixed and operational several years ago?

The trollies are such an original fun feature of Memphis. I hope they can get up and running. Sad to hear they are down.

https://www.masstransitmag.com/transit-bids-rfp/article/53098251/memphis-areas-transit-authority-mata-charlotte-trolley-car-w-optional-w2-trolley-car-rehabilitation

MATA has put out a RFP to restore vehicles for the remaining 2 lines. Still looks like we are at least 2 years out based on the proposal language.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

MATA purchased some more vintage trolleys recently from Charlotte, NC with the intent on having them run not only on Main Street, but along a reopened Riverfront Loop line in the near future. As for the Madison Avenue line, MATA plans on utilizing light-rail/modern streetcars there as opposed to the vintage trolleys as they don't want to run the risk of having anymore of them catch fire - resulting in the initial shutdown of all three lines back in 2014.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2024 at 6:52 PM, James Owen said:

MATA purchased some more vintage trolleys recently from Charlotte, NC with the intent on having them run not only on Main Street, but along a reopened Riverfront Loop line in the near future. As for the Madison Avenue line, MATA plans on utilizing light-rail/modern streetcars there as opposed to the vintage trolleys as they don't want to run the risk of having anymore of them catch fire - resulting in the initial shutdown of all three lines back in 2014.

Glad to hear they got more light rail cars

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 6:52 PM, James Owen said:

It will be interesting to see how the light rail cars and trolleys intersect at Madison and Main. Hopefully more density will happen near the Cleveland/Madison intersection. 

On 3/20/2024 at 8:23 PM, Memphisborn said:

Glad to hear they got more light rail cars

IIRC, they only have one or two at the moment, which were previously used by San Diego's transit system. Right now, AFAIK, they're only being used for testing purposes along the Madison line. We're still several years out - depending on funding - before we actually see those streetcars like the U2s get put into general service.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

It will be interesting to see how the light rail cars and trolleys intersect at Madison and Main. Hopefully more density will happen near the Cleveland/Madison intersection. 

The first trolley stop on Madison is almost 3 blocks from Main, just past the Visible Music College.  There is a stop at Main & Madison, but on the  Main St Line for the side for North bound trolleys.  There's another stop on the South bound side close to the Court St intersection.  With the way the lines cross over and locations o f the stops, I figure the Madison Line car will have to turn left onto Main St, onto the South bound track, cross over to the North bound track side, reverse direction to get to the Main/Madison stop, pickup/drop off passengers, then reverse direction back again to get back to the switchover point, change direction again to switch back to the South bound track, and turn right onto Madison.  While the switching tracks, reversing direction is going on, any Main Street Trollies going by will have to stop and wait for this to complete.  

Another Big project dead... man the pandemic messed it up for the big projects planned downtown. 

I have a feeling St. Jude might buy the land to build out. I really don't want that. We need something similar to what he proposed for the downtown area. Large Hotels, Residential, and retail.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/businessreal-estate/article/42665/memphis-real-estate-intrator-selling-downtown-pinch-district-properties

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

Another Big project dead... man the pandemic messed it up for the big projects planned downtown. 

I have a feeling St. Jude might buy the land to build out. I really don't want that. We need something similar to what he proposed for the downtown area. Large Hotels, Residential, and retail.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/businessreal-estate/article/42665/memphis-real-estate-intrator-selling-downtown-pinch-district-properties

I agree, I think it should be developed for multi-use.  Not surprising that this isn't coming to fruition, it was very ambitious.  I hope his other plans work out such as the Dream Hotel, and the residential infill on Front & South Main.  I really don't think the Pinch needs something on such a grand scale as Intrator was planning.  5-6 story midlevel development would be just fine.  I wonder if the Memphis born/Miami based architect guy still plans on going forward with the one hotel project and that really tall building that he proposed in the Pinch.  

• Like 1