Soleil Center I & II at Crabtree

durham_rtp

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Looking at the renderings, I don't think they're helping me imagine what the building will look like. Most of the pictures are taken from strange, narrow angles, sometimes suspended in midair - and none of them depict the entire building. They're designed to make Soleil look pretty, and they succeed at that, BUT I'm still left scratching my head about what it will look like as a whole and in context.

For example, the lobby entrance rendering is promising, but it's completely out of context. I can't tell if it's on the ground floor, or on the 8th floor of the parking deck, facing a parking lot, facing the street, or what.

so, how many buildings are now planned for the block that the Soleil Centers are on?

Soleil I

Soleil II

Crabtree towers? is this one or two?

others?

It looks like there will be five. Soleil, II, Creedmoor tower I, Creedmoor tower II, and the 4-story building closest to the intersection will presumably remain.

I don't know how much has been said about the following, but I know everyone has seen all the full page ads in the N&O for this building.

As a former advertising person, I will say "They don't give these pages away." These pages are tens of thousands of $$$ a day. There is either some real money behind this project or they are "shooting for the moon" and bloiwing it all at the beginning.

Developers that have built DT (Empire, Reynoolds, MonD guy) don't have cash like this.

It probably depends on the direstion you are coming in from. From Glenwood North, you probably won't see it too far out, nor too far down Edwards Mill Road due to the hills...maybe a mile. From Creedmoor Road, I bet a few miles as it is a steady drop in elevation. From Glenwood inside the beltline, not at all...too many trees. From the beltline, I bet you see it as it turns towards Six Forks Road. Even then, it may not be in the line of sight.

It probably depends on the direstion you are coming in from. From Glenwood North, you probably won't see it too far out, nor too far down Edwards Mill Road due to the hills...maybe a mile. From Creedmoor Road, I bet a few miles as it is a steady drop in elevation. From Glenwood inside the beltline, not at all...too many trees. From the beltline, I bet you see it as it turns towards Six Forks Road. Even then, it may not be in the line of sight.

On a clear day, you will definitely be able to see Soleil for miles and miles around from any vantage point above the treeline. It will be clearly visible from downtown, from the taller buildings at NCSU, from taller buildings at North Hills, and even from the Sheraton Imperial in RTP. On a really clear day, you might even be able to see it from the CCB building in downtown Durham or University Tower by 15-501. Lines-of-sight won't be the limiting factor; haze and smog will be.

On a clear day, you will definitely be able to see Soleil for miles and miles around from any vantage point above the treeline. It will be clearly visible from downtown, from the taller buildings at NCSU, from taller buildings at North Hills, and even from the Sheraton Imperial in RTP. On a really clear day, you might even be able to see it from the CCB building in downtown Durham or University Tower by 15-501. Lines-of-sight won't be the limiting factor; haze and smog will be.

Good Call

• 3 months later...

Personally I think the view will have a unique mistic flare about it. Has anyone played Half life 2? That game gives a pretty good example of what to expect.

I was wondering where the money was coming from. These guys have been successful but do not appear to be at the level to build a building like this.

I think this is start of "BIG TIME" money coming here from India. I know that other Indian investments are here and backed by Boliwood types, but I think this is some of that

I don't think the money is necessarily coming from India. Dicky Walia and Sanjay Mundra have apparently realized the american dream, and more power to them. They are smart and wise businessmen who have made most of their money here in the states. Here's an article from the N&O: http://www.newsobserver.com/689/story/366449.html

I have friends who know these people and say that their houses are incredible (a la MTV Cribs), and that Sanjay is looking for a bigger home! :blink:

I don't think the money is necessarily coming from India. Dicky Walia and Sanjay Mundra have apparently realized the american dream, and more power to them. They are smart and wise businessmen who have made most of their money here in the states. Here's an article from the N&O: http://www.newsobserver.com/689/story/366449.html

I have friends who know these people and say that their houses are incredible (a la MTV Cribs), and that Sanjay is looking for a bigger home! :blink:

That is good to hear. Got to love the American dream

But I have heard (through certain sources) that Big Time investment from India is coming to NC for all sorts of businesses.

I know there is some Boliwood guy who has been invested here for a long time. Backer of Royal India Restaurant and Fiesta on Wake Forest....and that is good investment. But again, I have heard "BIG TIME" investment is coming.

This investment is all good for everyone.

Archived