Clemsons future in downtown Greenville

gs3

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It bodes well for both Clemson and Greenville. From Clemson's perspective, it fits well into President Barker's goal of being a Top 20 public research university. While Clemson's business school is solid, it is not a top 20 school and I imagine some of the issue may lie in attracting students to Pickens County (I can say that, I'm an alum of another CU graduate school).

I'm also very excited about the possible co-location of some of Greenville's smaller technology companies as mentioned in the article. Charleston has done a great job with their 'Touchdown Space' as part of www.charlestondigitalcorridor.com. Here's hoping Clemson and NEXT (www.nextgreenville.com) can do something similar.

Excellent news! Knowing President Barker, I would not be surprised to see an executive MBA offered at the Renaissance Center once these phase I plans are put into place and shown to be successful.

The article states that they would like to be somewhere on Main Street, although a location has not been selected yet. Wouldn't the parking lot at the corner of Main and Broad next to Soby's and Hot Dog King be a great (and prominent) location?

UNC Charlotte has done this, and Wake Forest is apparently as well, in uptown Charlotte- and in both cases it has led to more space and class offerings than originally planned. So hopefully this will lead to something big. I always thought that Greenville Tech at least should have been downtown; that would have been a lot of students who would have been downtown to shop, eat, etc.

Undoubtedly Clemson will lease space initially. Hopefully, it will do well and a new campus would eventually be constructed.

Perhaps the County Square location could be bought from the county and the site redeveloped for a major mixed use project that would include the Clemson Renaissance campus. With the Governor's school next door, that could provide some 'education snergy'. After all, those are the top students in the state, I'm sure Clemson wouldn't mind them being exposed to Clemson !!

As for Unviversity Center, I don't see that leaving Pleasantburg. The state just bought the mall and it is an 'anchor' in the revitialization of Pleasantburg.

Looks like everything is a go as long as Clemson can raise 1 Million dollars of private investment.The board voted and agreed to the proposal.

:yahoo: Clemson downtown, Clemson at ICAR......obviously much is happening now, but think ahead 10 to 20 years what all this will mean......... :D Great ground work being laid for another urban university. Hats off to Clemson.

I agree, gsupstate. Only positives will come from this, for Greenville as well as for Clemson. I know that President Barker really wants to align Clemson with Greenville, and ICAR and this downtown campus are evidence of that. He sees the benefit for everyone involved, and I think it is great to have such a forward-thinking president at CU. I will also not be surprised when light/high-speed rail connects Clemson with downtown Greenville.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I particularly liked this portion of the article:

Greenville -- with a growing downtown and range of housing options -- also has become part of Clemson's recruitment pitch for new faculty, Barker said.

"It's in Clemson's best interest to make a stronger connection as we recruit 100 new faculty this year and 400 over a five year period."

Faculty prospects are picked up at the airport, taken by the university's International Center for Automotive Research, near Interstate 85 and Laurens Road, and then go the short trip downtown for lunch on the way to the college town, Barker said.

"We've got a lot of things to offer, and Greenville is a part of that recruiting package," Barker said.

Archived