CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

My post about Cabela's is not ignorant. (I am not a redneck at all.)  Having that store in that location is embarrassing to Greenville, as is the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte.  Both feed into negative stereotypes about the South and create an image that Greenville has worked so hard to overcome.

Do yourself a favor and at least open the attachment I posted earlier showing Cabelas locations. If you do your homework, you will apologize for making a stupid comment.

Do yourself a favor and at least open the attachment I posted earlier showing Cabelas locations. If you do your homework, you will apologize for making a stupid comment.

Please read my post, from 3:54pm.  I already looked over the map of Cabela's locations.  As I already posted, few if any are in high-profile, affluent locations.

You should do some research about Cabela's customer demographics and you would see that its target customer base is relatively older, lower-income and less-educated than national averages (i.e., rednecks).  (That information is easily available in investor presentations by Cabela's that are all over the Internet and in its SEC filings.)  Having that kind of store at a very visible location to outsiders creates an image of Greenville as a place where people like that live...which isn't what people who care about Greenville and its future want to project.

Edited by mallguy

Please read my post, from 3:54pm.  I already looked over the map of Cabela's locations.  As I already posted, few if any are in high-profile, affluent locations.

You should do some research about Cabela's customer demographics and you would see that its target customer base is relatively older, lower-income and less-educated than national averages (i.e., rednecks).  (That information is easily available in investor presentations by Cabela's that are all over the Internet and in its SEC filings.)  Having that kind of store at a very visible location to outsiders creates an image of Greenville as a place where people like that live...which isn't what people who care about Greenville and its future want to project.

Diversity is a beautiful thing. 

Please read my post, from 3:54pm. I already looked over the map of Cabela's locations. As I already posted, few if any are in high-profile, affluent locations. You should do some research about Cabela's customer demographics and you would see that its target customer base is relatively older, lower-income and less-educated than national averages (i.e., rednecks). (That information is easily available in investor presentations by Cabela's that are all over the Internet and in its SEC filings.) Having that kind of store at a very visible location to outsiders creates an image of Greenville as a place where people like that live...which isn't what people who care about Greenville and its future want to project.
Both Atlanta and Charlotte have Bass Pro in their msa. Neither feels that way too me.

Both Atlanta and Charlotte have Bass Pro in their msa. Neither feels that way too me.

They do indeed have Bass Pros (outside their cores), and neither feels redneck to me either.

No MSA is entirely "redneck" or entirely "non-redneck" (or entirely any specific demographic).  Each MSA is a mix of upper-income, lower-income, well-raised and non-well-raised people.  Atlanta and Charlotte both are affluent enough that their MSAs do not feel "redneck", but, believe me, as someone who spent a long time living in Charlotte, there are rednecks in the MSA--just not enough to dominate the atmosphere.

My concern about Cabela's signage is that it signals, in a highly visible location, that Greenville is a largely redneck MSA.  It's certainly not. 

Edited by mallguy

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they have fenced off part of the regal cinemas entrance. I am guessing its for construction on Yard House and Toby Keiths. I wonder what the 22,000sq.ft. building to the right of cabelas will be?Wasnt it supposed to be a hotel?I am also anxious to learn about the other retail and entertainment tenants. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...