Short Pump Developments

TBurban

T-Burban mentioned recently that some kind of activity is taking place at Lauderdale and Broad.

Lou Llovio advises in his RTD column today that work on the Kroger has resumed at The Corner at Short Pump. It will be the 17th Kroger in the Richmond market and will open next July, 2010.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should go in the rumors thread, BUT..

Rumor has it a 'life is good' store will be opening up in WBV, which would be awesome! I think it might be the first in the state of Virginia that is an actual store and not an atheltic store that carries their product. Stay tuned..

• 2 weeks later...

I drove past the new shopping center (The Corners at Short Pump) that is proposed for Lauderdale and Broad and noticed work in progress for the new Krogers. It is rumored that eventually the center will have a Dean & Deluca's as well as a new chain restaurant called Cosi.

There has been considerable progress at Town Center West, but it is one lonely looking place. The Wyndham Hotel (I think) is open and The Hilton Conference Center looks close to completion. Perhaps traffic will increase when The Hilton is open for business.

Also, as I was warned, West Broad Village is NOT easy to navigate. I was surprised to note that DAVE & BUSTERS does not front Broad Street. Also, the parking lot for MIMI'S is far too small. We tried to park in the garage across the street only to find ramps closed off with no signage. Ended up having lunch at a Japanese restaurant across the ring road east of Short Pump Town Center.

• 3 weeks later...

I have three young kids, so a compelling reason for me to live near the Short Pump area is that I can hit 5 grocery stores for a weeks worth of groceries in about two hours. I leave the house sometime between 7:30 and 8 p.m. and go to Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Wal-Mart and Ukrops. I pass a Kroger, Target and Food Lion on that trip. The five stores I visit carry most of what I need / want. On those nights, I get home at about 10 p.m. I love my pantry, refrigerator and freezer after those trips.

• 5 weeks later...

This should go in the rumors thread, BUT..

Rumor has it a 'life is good' store will be opening up in WBV, which would be awesome! I think it might be the first in the state of Virginia that is an actual store and not an atheltic store that carries their product. Stay tuned..

My word is still good!

[url=http://www.downtownshortpump.com/2009/09/23/richmonds-first-life-is-good-store-coming-soon-near-trader-joes/]Richmond

• 2 months later...

Short Pump will be getting two new hotels by the end of 2010. A Holiday Inn at 192 rooms between Towne Center West and Short Pump Town Center, along with a Cambria Suites Luxury Hotel at 100 rooms also between Towne Center West and Short Pump Town Center.

Refer to thispage on the TCW website for more info!

Short Pump will be getting two new hotels by the end of 2010. A Holiday Inn at 192 rooms between Towne Center West and Short Pump Town Center, along with a Cambria Suites Luxury Hotel at 100 rooms also between Towne Center West and Short Pump Town Center.

Refer to thispage on the TCW website for more info!

Tommy, isn't that hotel (The Wyndham?) behind the car dealership on West Broad part of TCW? It doesn't show up on the map.

With the Sierra, Aloft, Hilton and now Holiday Inn and Cambria Suites, the Short Pump area should have enough rooms to house an army!

Tommy, isn't that hotel (The Wyndham?) behind the car dealership on West Broad part of TCW? It doesn't show up on the map.

With the Sierra, Aloft, Hilton and now Holiday Inn and Cambria Suites, the Short Pump area should have enough rooms to house an army!

Yeah, the Wyndham is behind the Dominion Dealership. Work on the Gayton/I-64 Flyover to connect with Shady Grove Road is well underway too.

And congrats on the upgrade status, Burt! This forum wouldn't be the same without ya :alc:

I don't think it's part of TCW, or at least I don't ever recall it being mentioned anywhere on their website. WOW, two more hotels, that's crazy and so unnecessary. I don't understand the big attraction with Short Pump. All there is to do is shopping. I'm not opposed to densifying Short Pump and having it be an edge-city to Richmond, but you can't have random hotels with no pedestrian connectivity popping up all over the place. What about residential, and a park, and public transportation?

Yeah, the Wyndham is separate from Towne Center West, as is the Holiday Inn and Cambria Suites. At one point they had a proposal for a tram service to take people from Towne Center West with stops at Short Pump Towne Center and West Broad Village but they were later scrapped. I wouldn't be surprised to see another proposal float around when the Corner at Short Pump is completed at Lauderdale and Broad. TCW also had a really nice residential over retail proposal, but that was also scrapped and replaced with this:

Here's the OLD proposal for parcels 1-1.4:

52138948zd1.png

17515557fv3.png

Residential over retail at TCW: (72 luxury apartments)

70352635mz3.png

And the new one:

Parcels 1 and 1.2 were originally residential over retail.

SP_TCW.jpg

Now they've been replaced with more retail:

OP_TCW2.jpg

OP_TCW.jpg

Thanks for the clarifications, Tommy. That mysterious hotel which stands behind the car delearship -- is it Wyndham or Wingate? I use the word "mysterious" because the few times I've driven by it's diffficult to tell what is going on inside.

There is a story in the most recent Richmond Magazine about the "far West" that lists and pictures shopping options, restaurants, hotels and such but does not mention The Sierra next to Dicks in SPTC which, IMO, is the most attractive of all the new hotels.

A new Brewery/bar is going in on the ground floor of aLoft Hotel at WBV. The story also claims that one of the rental residential buildings at WBV is sold out and the second one is 60% leased. The third is supposed to open soon.

More retail, that’s ridiculous. When will people understand that the strip retail era isover? Besides, Short Pump is oversaturated with retail. I like how the ‘pedestrian bridge’ leads into the parking lot!?? This poor planning is really disappointing; they should just leave it as open/green space. This entire development is centered on a pre-recession economy where everything was: build more, spend more, and make more, because more is always better, right? Well, look where that has gotten us….half of our lives spent in suburbia, in our single family homes, in our cars where we don’t have to interact with anyone.

I’d like to think that the recession has maybe knocked some sense into people, I guess not. Well, maybe it won’t get built, I really hope it isn’t anyways. Richmond is so behind in the times, why are we still even considering strip retail?

How’s VCU going Tommy? I’m sure they’re not teaching you about how to best accommodate cars in strip retail centers, right? Lol

Just gotta put your money where your mouth is and not spend money out there. That's my goal for Christmas :)

I've managed to do that for years. A couple of movie tickets (pre-Movieland) and a camelback purchase at Dick's before going to a movie is pretty much all the money I've ever spent there. Like coupe said, if you don't believe in that style of development then don't spend your money there. I aim to spend a good amount of my Christmas shopping in Carytown this year.

Just gotta put your money where your mouth is and not spend money out there. That's my goal for Christmas :)

Very good point. The only shopping I do there is Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, but that's not often. It would be so much better if they were located downtown, though I have been liking Ellwood Thompsons recently (when I'm home from school :)) I'm going to try Good Foods soon. I think there's potential for Short Pump to become something other than the retail/shop til you drop mecca it is, but I'd rather spend my energy/ideas/money on downtown.

Just gotta put your money where your mouth is and not spend money out there. That's my goal for Christmas smile.gif

Coupe, maybe you and a certain lady will be spending a portion of it in hustling, bustling Manhattan as well as in Carytown. whistling.gif

No suburban shopping for me, either. I'm putting a hunk of bucks into downtown Richmond with Xmas gifts of theatre tickets and restaurant meals. smile.gif

• 6 months later...

Retail that was originally in Carytown(City) and moved to Short Pump(Far West End suburbs) is moving back to Carytown.

Kennon’s store joins a growing list of local Carytown retailers who have opened second locations in Short Pump, only to close one or both locations some time later, including Glass & Powder Boardshop, Bev’s Homemade Ice Cream, Martha’s Mixture and Soak.The Carytown It’s Hip To Be Round remains open for business.

http://www.downtowns...ytown-location/

Archived