Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

As I drove down Broad St this morning I saw a bunch on new air handlers sitting behind the old Wild Wing. A crane was being moved into position and there were a lot of Davis Services trucks around so its safe to say the building is getting a new HVAC system. Anybody have a clue as to what might be going in there?

Also Dudley's still sitting vacant on east side. I wish the owner (Trey Hatfield) would just go in with one of the restaurant groups here in town and get that joint back opened up.

44 minutes ago, Sparkleman said:

As I drove down Broad St this morning I saw a bunch on new air handlers sitting behind the old Wild Wing. A crane was being moved into position and there were a lot of Davis Services trucks around so its safe to say the building is getting a new HVAC system. Anybody have a clue as to what might be going in there?

Also Dudley's still sitting vacant on east side. I wish the owner (Trey Hatfield) would just go in with one of the restaurant groups here in town and get that joint back opened up.

I would honestly love to see the building become a mast general store, it already has the perfect exterior look and the two story floor space necessary for the store, it would be great to have something like that in the middle of downtown

27 minutes ago, Sparkleman said:

Many folks have pined for a Mast for a lot of years now. I for one am in for that but not sure it can ever happen with stores already in Asheville, Hendersonville, and Greenville, but again why not here? 

We have a growing population with almost no where to shop.

I don't know how to get one to move into town but knowing that it is worker owned would mean that even though it only would bring in maybe 15-20 jobs at any one time those jobs would bring more than a random international corporation that pays as low as possible. The store would also help serve many of the different age groups that already come downtown during events especially children that pretty much only have the toy store downtown and the ice cream shops

On 4/14/2023 at 8:42 PM, westsider28 said:

Apparently Cocobowlz, a Greenville-based franchise serving acai bowls and smoothies, is coming to downtown Spartanburg.  They have a new Instagram page for it.  No exact location announced yet. (anybody know?)

They're also opening a location in Duncan (Publix shopping center).

Great addition to Downtown. Cocobowlz is a great "healthy" (sort-of), alternative to Ice Cream. Glad to see them come to the Burg. 

• Like 2

Restaurant/foodie news!

Duncan is now home to Spartanburg County's newest Wingstop location and will soon get a Biscuitville location (one of the first in SC!).  Greer will also get Biscuitville, and Duncan also recently added Tipsy Taco and Vida Taco (street tacos in the former Deno's).  Game Day BBQ also now sells alcohol and is having trivia and other social events.

Not a restaurant, but a convenience store called Swift Stop is locating at the Fairforest Road exit at Business I-85 (formerly BP/Fast Phil's).  This looks to be an upgrade from the former and on par with QT, Spinx, 7Eleven and the newer Circle K stores possibly with more food options.  Also, Four Points Spartanburg now has specialty coffee daily until 10am at Brew'd Awakenings (and Oak 1831 has recently updated their breakfast and dinner menus).

Over in Inman, Southern Fuel Coffee and Eats has opened in front of Food Lion in the former Construction Zone Subs next to Verizon and Great Clips (Southern Fuel is also set to open a location in Boiling Springs next to M Fresh Asian Fusion and Cocobowlz).

Landrum and Chesnee are going to be adding coffee shops (along with upcoming breweries Stubborn Mule and Outside Influence, respectively) - Landrum has Cardinal Coffee & Bistro coming soon with Mozza Roasters coffee and soon Hershey's ice cream (most probably on the ice cream).  Chesnee will be adding Eagle's Nest Coffee and Creamery, probably in the former Ice Cream Barn (vendors unknown; Tiered Cake Studio is also looking into adding a coffee shop in Chesnee).  Landrum (Campobello) also has a new Mexican restaurant - Mr. Juan's.  It is in the former Big Glenn's Grill and Bronco.

La Choza has opened at the former Junction/Quincy's at Hearon Circle; it is Central American cuisine (not Mexican as was previously thought by many) with a bar and pool tables.  The Holiday Inn across from it will also soon open a restaurant called Toast 2 Toast, serving breakfast and dinner (opening date TBD/TBA).  

Pierre's has opened a new location in the former Corona on McCravy Drive (at Pinewood across from Wade's).  Great soul food!  The Monarch Cafe is also still being used for pop-up and private events as well as cooking classes.  Nearby, the Mist and Smoke Lounge has opened on Whitney Road on the other side of 585 from the former Spaced Out/Quincy's.  I have heard great things and happened to meet one of the staff while having car repair done!  It seems to be a step up from the couple of places that were there before.

LemonTree Thai Cuisine next to Walmart Neighborhood Market in Cedar Springs is crushing it, especially with their green curry and drunken noodles!

Very exciting how both Spartanburg and our Upstate region are becoming a food lover's heaven and haven!

Edited by SpartanBorn&Raised
  • Thanks 1

Saw an alcohol permit application in the paper this morning for 111 West Main (former Wild Wing Cafe).  It's by "Smoking Butt Heads BBQ 1 LLC," which might be this place in Greenville (but I'm not 100% certain).  Regardless, looks like a BBQ restaurant.  Suddenly we have several BBQ places downtown after many years of none.  Glad to see this spot fill quickly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Someone with also a last name of Smith spoke of a tentative mid June opening date, and a keeping of the same name. Not sure how accurate it is as I could not verify what his relation to the venture was. Yet time wise that doesn't seem unrealistic.

EDIT: source says he is a brother to the owner.

Edited by NotNotSanti

On 4/21/2023 at 10:15 PM, SpartanBorn&Raised said:

Restaurant/foodie news!

Duncan is now home to Spartanburg County's newest Wingstop location and will soon get a Biscuitville location (one of the first in SC!).  Greer will also get Biscuitville, and Duncan also recently added Tipsy Taco and Vida Taco (street tacos in the former Deno's).  Game Day BBQ also now sells alcohol and is having trivia and other social events.

Not a restaurant, but a convenience store called Swift Stop is locating at the Fairforest Road exit at Business I-85 (formerly BP/Fast Phil's).  This looks to be an upgrade from the former and on par with QT, Spinx, 7Eleven and the newer Circle K stores possibly with more food options.  Also, Four Points Spartanburg now has specialty coffee daily until 10am at Brew'd Awakenings (and Oak 1831 has recently updated their breakfast and dinner menus).

Over in Inman, Southern Fuel Coffee and Eats has opened in front of Food Lion in the former Construction Zone Subs next to Verizon and Great Clips (Southern Fuel is also set to open a location in Boiling Springs next to M Fresh Asian Fusion and Cocobowlz).

Landrum and Chesnee has recently added/are going to be adding coffee shops (along with upcoming breweries Stubborn Mule and Outside Influence, respectively) - Landrum has Cardinal Coffee & Bistro with Mozza Roasters coffee and soon Hershey's ice cream (most probably on the ice cream).  Chesnee will be adding Eagle's Nest Coffee and Creamery, probably in the former Ice Cream Barn (vendors unknown; Tiered Cake Studio is also looking into adding a coffee shop in Chesnee).  Landrum (Campobello) also has a new Mexican restaurant - Mr. Juan's.  It is in the former Big Glenn's Grill and Bronco.

La Choza has opened at the former Junction/Quincy's at Hearon Circle; it is Central American cuisine (not Mexican as was previously thought by many) with a bar and pool tables.  The Holiday Inn across from it will also soon open a restaurant called Toast 2 Toast, serving breakfast and dinner (opening date TBD/TBA).  

Pierre's has opened a new location in the former Corona on McCravy Drive (at Pinewood across from Wade's).  Great soul food!  The Monarch Cafe is also still being used for pop-up and private events as well as cooking classes.  Nearby, the Mist and Smoke Lounge has opened on Whitney Road on the other side of 585 from the former Spaced Out/Quincy's.  I have heard great things and happened to meet one of the staff while having car repair done!

Very exciting how both Spartanburg and our Upstate region are becoming a food lover's heaven and haven!

Such a great informational post! Thanks, SBR.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:15 PM, SpartanBorn&Raised said:

Restaurant/foodie news!

Landrum and Chesnee has recently added/are going to be adding coffee shops (along with upcoming breweries Stubborn Mule and Outside Influence, respectively) - Landrum has Cardinal Coffee & Bistro with Mozza Roasters coffee and soon Hershey's ice cream (most probably on the ice cream).  Chesnee will be adding Eagle's Nest Coffee and Creamery, probably in the former Ice Cream Barn (vendors unknown; Tiered Cake Studio is also looking into adding a coffee shop in Chesnee).  Landrum (Campobello) also has a new Mexican restaurant - Mr. Juan's.  It is in the former Big Glenn's Grill and Bronco.

Pierre's has opened a new location in the former Corona on McCravy Drive (at Pinewood across from Wade's).  Great soul food!  The Monarch Cafe is also still being used for pop-up and private events as well as cooking classes.  Nearby, the Mist and Smoke Lounge has opened on Whitney Road on the other side of 585 from the former Spaced Out/Quincy's.  I have heard great things and happened to meet one of the staff while having car repair done!

Such a great informational post! Thanks, SBR.

Also, saw that Holliday Brewing in Inman requested their alcohol permit. Anyone know how close they are to opening?

• 2 weeks later...

A few thoughts:

Biscuitville is good, but a bit overrated, IMO. Would not recommend waiting in that line, or driving to Duncan, just for that. But if you fund yourself in the

My position on Mast is "meh, who cares?" I don't want to be like Greenville. There are other stores out there. Maybe the Local Hiker can expand and compete one day? That said, I suspect the inability to keep Wild Wing Cafe and the lack of a Mast are very related topics. As is the general lack of retail/restaurants east of Church. Bad management is certainly a contributing factor, but also mediocre food, and service. I put WWC in the same category as Sticky Fingers. It was a great regional chain restaurant in its prime, but it lost quality, originality, and "coolness' as it expanded.  That's part of why I don't really care about a Mast Store. If Greenville, Asheville, Waynesville,  Henderson, Boone, Winston-Salem, Columbia (am I missing any?) all have them, what stopping them from Spartanburg? The differentiator, IMO is $$$. Those places have a higher local median income and/or a LOT of tourist $$$. 

Spartanburg County is growing, but we haven't hit a critical mass of business/residents with disposable income in and around downtown yet. One day it will pop like Greenville did, and we'll all wish we had invested in property when it was cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...