Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

42 minutes ago, NotNotSanti said:

Site plan for new coffee shop on 202 Cedar Springs Road has been approved.

No name on the site plan. I'm hearing Starbucks. Anyone in the know?

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 17.07.09.png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 17.13.19.png

I noticed last week the former CVS / Rite Aid / or whatever pharmacy chain was at the intersection of Union and Southport has been demolished.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Smoking Butts BBQ (in the former Wild Wing) has signage up now.  Looks like they could open pretty soon.

Also, The Tulip Tree will reopen on August 2, after being closed for about 2 months for repairs to their building.

I hate to admit, but I just realized this is the same group as the SBH restaurant on Pelham Road near I-85.  I have heard great things!

On 7/12/2023 at 11:41 AM, NotNotSanti said:

I'm hearing car wash in the rumblings of social media.

My understanding is Starbucks between Hardee's/Walgreen's and Charlie's and a car wash at the former Rite Aid.

They've also been working on the former Bi-Lo.  Another grocery store (hoping a Lowe's Foods???)?

On 8/1/2023 at 10:55 AM, MidtownSpartanburg said:

Does anyone know what’s going on with Zen Ramen and Sushi Burrito on East Main? No activity for several months. 

Hopefully just a hold-up...very excited about this place!

1 hour ago, SpartanBorn&Raised said:

They've also been working on the former Bi-Lo.  Another grocery store (hoping a Lowe's Foods???)?

Unfortunately, according to the PDF on this Colliers listing, the former Bi-Lo will be a Bargain Hunt discount store...

I don't understand that with Big Lots across the street.  Are the demographics in the area that bad?  There are well over 1000 homes under construction within a few miles (plus Carolina CC), surely that merits a real grocery store.  Bi-Lo and Food Lion existed there together years ago, and now there's just the Walmart. I don't get it.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Unfortunately, according to the PDF on this Colliers listing, the former Bi-Lo will be a Bargain Hunt discount store...

I don't understand that with Big Lots across the street.  Are the demographics in the area that bad?  There are well over 1000 homes under construction within a few miles (plus Carolina CC), surely that merits a real grocery store.  Bi-Lo and Food Lion existed there together years ago, and now there's just the Walmart. I don't get it.

Several factors are at play, I believe.

• More and more grocery chains are consolidating or being bought out by larger chains.
  • With razor-thin margins, grocers want to locate their stores in markets with high HH income.   Cedar Springs is growing, yes, but the overall demographics (HH income) is weak.
  • The Cedar Springs Shopping Center has been marginal for a long time.  Its begging for a strong anchor.
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Several factors are at play, I believe.

• More and more grocery chains are consolidating or being bought out by larger chains.
  • With razor-thin margins, grocers want to locate their stores in markets with high HH income.   Cedar Springs is growing, yes, but the overall demographics (HH income) is weak.
  • The Cedar Springs Shopping Center has been marginal for a long time.  Its begging for a strong anchor.

If only Harris-Teeter were considering a Spartanburg comeback...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, drexel said:

Had dinner st Smoking Butts BBQ for the first time tonight  and it  was really good. Food and service. The old Wild Wings is such a cool building. The upstairs was not open, but looked ready for live music.

Hey, I just finished eating there now!  I had the chicken plate (which includes hot links homemade sausage and pulled pork, plus a side and cornbread).   Very good and I committed borderline gluttony XD

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 8:41 PM, NotNotSanti said:

I know this is probably not "new" news to peeps here, but...

ISLA'S ON THE SQUARE coming to the former  GROWLER HAUS location, bringing us:

"COASTAL KITCHEN - COCKTAILS - OYSTER BAR"

That is all.

Isla.jpg

Hey I may be doing an article on the new restaurants in downtown Spartanburg, does anyone know of any way of contacting the people starting Isla's On The Square?

44 minutes ago, camtology said:

Hey I may be doing an article on the new restaurants in downtown Spartanburg, does anyone know of any way of contacting the people starting Isla's On The Square?

I'm pretty sure it's owned by Morgan Square Hospitality Group (i.e. the people who own Delaney's), so they'd be the ones to contact.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, hub-city said:

Saw on Facebook that Downtown Deli & Donuts is closing Sept. 15.  Bummer, I really liked that place for lunch.  I wonder if it’s related to the 100 East Main development?  Her last sentence was “hope to see you soon”

I really hope so cause that is one of my favorite sandwich places, might go again just to ask what is going on

Apparently, it's not related to any new opening through the 100 East Main Development, but on the decision to focus on catering: "I have decided to open Downtown Deli Catering and Elizabeth's Cakes," Evans said in a statement. "The catering side of my business has always been a large component and I have turned down many opportunities because of my time and commitment to the restaurant." Spartanburg Herald.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NotNotSanti said:

Apparently, it's not related to any new opening through the 100 East Main Development, but on the decision to focus on catering: "I have decided to open Downtown Deli Catering and Elizabeth's Cakes," Evans said in a statement. "The catering side of my business has always been a large component and I have turned down many opportunities because of my time and commitment to the restaurant." Spartanburg Herald.

I hope it eventually comes back around to where they have enough time for both, I will no longer be in Spartanburg by the time the East Main developments are done but if I ever visit I would love Downtown Deli & Doughnuts to be there in one way or another

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

The wife and I had lunch at DD&D on Friday and it was amazing as always. This is gonna be a tough pill to swallow. She told us it doesn't have anything to do with customers or lack of biz, she just wants to cater. I can respect that but nowhere else in town can match what she does deli wise.

Its a tough business right now with the high cost of food, labor shortages, insurance, and rent.  I thought her business model (lunch only with catering  - limited dining area) was sustainable.  

The good news is that Dudley's is reopening after being closed for about a year.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thai Basil is moving along! (W Square Plaza)

"Notice is hereby given that Thai Basil Restaurant intents to apply to the South Carolina Department of Revenue for a license/ permit that will allow the sale and on premises consumption of beer wines and liquor at 2601 E Main suite 2&3 Spartanburg, SC 29307. To object to the Issuance of this permit/ license written protest must be postmarked no later than October 19, 2023."