Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

If you remove part of the parking lot behind the old Carolina Cash Co (Broad St & Wall St) then that would be a good location. Similarly, the area behind Imagination Station or the Blood Bank would be a good location. Spartanburg needs to start thinking about where surface lot parking can be removed and exchanged for on-street parking (or parking decks) like normal cities.

Isn't there a vacant space with a front patio beside Croc's on Ezell Street?

My first thought is the old Meridian Bank location at the corner of Broad and Liberty. Or perhaps, the part of the building that fronts Main Street.

A feather in your cap, Sparkleman, if you can reel in this eatery.

Thanks for the kind words Roads, but if we get them it will be a team (me, you, others, Citizen Spartanburg, City of Spartanburg) effort. I spoke again yesterday with the head of economic development and she (Patty Bock) said the owner of Taco Boy is coming back in 2 weeks to scout more locations. We spoke for a while about all things Spartanburg and she said that one of the problems is that as far as some of the buildings downtown are considered, their owners have absolutely NO interest in renting or selling them. NONE! She said they would be more than happy if Spartanburg never changed a bit. This burns me some, but there is nothing I can do about it as that is their option. Anyway I still think we can make this deal work with Taco Boy and I feel like as long as they they know we are interested, they'll keep us in the game. Please contact them directly from their webpage to share your thoughts.

Below is my own email that I sent to them. I know 1 email cannot make a difference, but I think it may make them feel like they are part of something much bigger (which I feel they are) at work here.

Hello there:

My name is Rigby ******, and I may be part of the reason you are getting some email out of the Spartanburg, SC area. My wife and I have dined at your Folly Beach location many times and absolutely love it. We last went there with another couple from Spartanburg, and they loved it so much that the husband contacted you shortly thereafter to see if you had any thoughts on expanding into the upstate. At the time, I think you were considering Greenville or Asheville but decided to give us a look… if I was hearing that correctly.

Anyway, we’ve often mentioned to friends that what downtown Spartanburg really needs is a cool Mexican restaurant like Taco Boy. We’ve been surprised how many people in this area are already huge fans of your restaurant and enthusiastically agree with us. I have no doubt that you would be welcomed with open arms if you decided to expand to our city. I know you would do just fine in either of the other locations you’re considering, but you'd probably be just another great restaurant among many. Here, besides profiting from a bustling patronage, you would be viewed as one of the founding partners for the continued momentum our city is experiencing through economic development and downtown expansion.

Spartanburg is a very unique place, and we don’t want to be a cookie-cutter copy of Greenville or Asheville. We’re trying to drive our city’s expansion through education. We have a new business school open downtown and a medical school and junior college on the way. There are going to be a lot more folks coming downtown looking for quick, affordable food and drinks. Taco Boy provides that along with great quality and a cool atmosphere. I really think you guys would be a perfect fit for our growing downtown area.

Thank you for your consideration,

Rigby

Edited by Sparkleman

Thanks for the kind words Roads, but if we get them it will be a team (me, you, others, Citizen Spartanburg, City of Spartanburg) effort. I spoke again yesterday with the head of economic development and she (Patty Bock) said the owner of Taco Boy is coming back in 2 weeks to scout more locations. We spoke for a while about all things Spartanburg and she said that one of the problems is that as far as some of the buildings downtown are considered, their owners have absolutely NO interest in renting or selling them. NONE! She said they would be more than happy if Spartanburg never changed a bit. This burns me some, but there is nothing I can do about it as that is their option. Anyway I still think we can make this deal work with Taco Boy and I feel like as long as they they know we are interested, they'll keep us in the game. Please contact them directly from their webpage to share your thoughts.

Below is my own email that I sent to them. I know 1 email cannot make a difference, but I think it may make them feel like they are part of something much bigger (which I feel they are) at work here.

Hello there:

My name is Rigby ******, and I may be part of the reason you are getting some email out of the Spartanburg, SC area. My wife and I have dined at your Folly Beach location many times and absolutely love it. We last went there with another couple from Spartanburg, and they loved it so much that the husband contacted you shortly thereafter to see if you had any thoughts on expanding into the upstate. At the time, I think you were considering Greenville or Asheville but decided to give us a look… if I was hearing that correctly.

Anyway, we’ve often mentioned to friends that what downtown Spartanburg really needs is a cool Mexican restaurant like Taco Boy. We’ve been surprised how many people in this area are already huge fans of your restaurant and enthusiastically agree with us. I have no doubt that you would be welcomed with open arms if you decided to expand to our city. I know you would do just fine in either of the other locations you’re considering, but you'd probably be just another great restaurant among many. Here, besides profiting from a bustling patronage, you would be viewed as one of the founding partners for the continued momentum our city is experiencing through economic development and downtown expansion.

Spartanburg is a very unique place, and we don’t want to be a cookie-cutter copy of Greenville or Asheville. We’re trying to drive our city’s expansion through education. We have a new business school open downtown and a medical school and junior college on the way. There are going to be a lot more folks coming downtown looking for quick, affordable food and drinks. Taco Boy provides that along with great quality and a cool atmosphere. I really think you guys would be a perfect fit for our growing downtown area.

Thank you for your consideration,

Rigby

I sent Taco Boy an email as well. It was not as persuasive as yours but we'll see what happens. Personally, I believe many downtown landlords are looking to land a big fish tenant like Mast General Store or a Wild Wing Cafe and tend to overlook the smaller players.

Similarly, I've heard that those who do want to lease their buildings want too much rent for what downtown is worth. Everyone has their selling point, and my guess is that the people who own the buildings downtown want Greenville prices for their buildings. It's really a bad business decision though. Why have a building sitting vacant or with a check cashing place that pays relatively little rent when you can have something that generates more income (be it a restaurant or shop or whatever).

Similarly, I've heard that those who do want to lease their buildings want too much rent for what downtown is worth. Everyone has their selling point, and my guess is that the people who own the buildings downtown want Greenville prices for their buildings. It's really a bad business decision though. Why have a building sitting vacant or with a check cashing place that pays relatively little rent when you can have something that generates more income (be it a restaurant or shop or whatever).

Downtown first must reach a point of critical mass before potential tenants will pay the rents that are demanded. Downtown Spartanburg is not there yet. I thought downtown was moving closer to critical mass in 2007 but the recession has had a dramatic negative impact there. Downtown really needs another "destination" besides Wild Wing Cafe to catalyze sustainable growth.

I just found this forum via a link at Spartanburg Spark and can I just say how excited I am to see that Taco Boy is even considering coming to Spartanburg? My husband and I ate there during a long weekend trip to Charleston a few weeks ago and have been talking about it ever since. Heck, I am even currently driving around with a Taco Boy sticker on my car- that's how much I loved it. I am definitely going to send an email.

Believe it or not, we really were on the edge of getting a Mast General Store back in 2007. That economic developer that I mentioned earlier mentioned it when we were talking yesterday. After things went bust in real estate they backed away. Now with Rome opening, the building of choice is not available. Maybe if Rome doesn't last that opportunity will arise again. In all honesty, I hope Rome does make it as I want all to succeed in their endeavors.

I went by the old Meridian Bank at lunch and as I suspected there is nowhere to put the desired deck. I can see the problem that they may be having in wanting an existing building with a deck or a place to put one. What about the old Baaber Rhyne drugstore? There is a vacant lot next door where a deck could be added.

Believe it or not, we really were on the edge of getting a Mast General Store back in 2007. That economic developer that I mentioned earlier mentioned it when we were talking yesterday. After things went bust in real estate they backed away. Now with Rome opening, the building of choice is not available. Maybe if Rome doesn't last that opportunity will arise again. In all honesty, I hope Rome does make it as I want all to succeed in their endeavors.

I went by the old Meridian Bank at lunch and as I suspected there is nowhere to put the desired deck. I can see the problem that they may be having in wanting an existing building with a deck or a place to put one. What about the old Baaber Rhyne drugstore? There is a vacant lot next door where a deck could be added.

Is this Rome, GEORGIA you're referring to?

I still believe Spartanburg will land a Mast General Store. There are 2-3 sites on Main Street that are ideal in my opinion for this emporium. The real problem has been the availability of credit. But the banks are beginning to loosen up now and I really believe Mast is on the horizon.

I just found this forum via a link at Spartanburg Spark and can I just say how excited I am to see that Taco Boy is even considering coming to Spartanburg? My husband and I ate there during a long weekend trip to Charleston a few weeks ago and have been talking about it ever since. Heck, I am even currently driving around with a Taco Boy sticker on my car- that's how much I loved it. I am definitely going to send an email.

Welcome to the forum!

I think we all hope Rome succeeds. A place like that would do wonders for the so-called 'nightlife' in Spartanburg. Having a high-quality night life is important for attracting the Gen Y population (and Gen X to some extent).

As for the old Meridian Bank.... why not on the roof? It's only a 1 storey building. Why not throw a deck up there. It would certainly be unique to Spartanburg. :shades:

I sent Taco Boy an e-mail too!! The location I was thinking of is on Magnolia St.. Longleaf has remodeled the building for a restaurant. The building is 2 storys on Spring St. and one story on Magnolia St.. Taco Boy could use the Spring St. side kind of like Wild Wings did with their upstairs. It would be under the main level but you could have a recessed dining area with the last 30-40' exposed to the elements. In bad weather you could drape the door and window openings like they do some restaurants in Charleston. That would make a great location and give some flexability to the outdoor dining area. The front on Magnolia St. was bricked with an arched opening and kind of looks like a mexican restaurant.

Spartan, I love the idea of a roof deck on the old Meridian Bank building! That would definitely be noticeable and a big draw for a restaurant.

spartanburgh, I know the building you're talking about on Magnolia, and I really like it. However, it may be too narrow for your idea to work well. Not to mention it would cost a ton to alter the building's setup.

I think we all hope Rome succeeds. A place like that would do wonders for the so-called 'nightlife' in Spartanburg. Having a high-quality night life is important for attracting the Gen Y population (and Gen X to some extent).

As for the old Meridian Bank.... why not on the roof? It's only a 1 storey building. Why not throw a deck up there. It would certainly be unique to Spartanburg. :shades:

That might be the ticket. Is insurance that much more costly for a rooftop deck or bar? I would imagine is has to be or there would be more of them.

Here's a link to one in Asheville (obviously its taller, but the cool factor would be the same).

http://www.mountainx.com/dining/2008/061808the_sky_club

They have rooftop decks all over the place in South Carolina, so I can't imagine this would be anything special in terms of insurance issues. The biggest problem I could see is that it's located across the street from the Library Commons building, and next to the renovated building at Liberty & Main, both of which have residential components. If I were a resident there I would have a concern about the outdoor deck being too loud, especially if they intend to have a band or pipe in music with a speaker system.

I emailed the following to the head of Citizen Spartanburg (of which I am a member). She has posted a link on our facebook page to get members to contact a restaurant through email to see if we can sway them to come to Spartanburg. I wanted to post this here to see if any of you guys/gals would do the same. I will post the links below.

Tammy:

Do you think our group could have any influence over whether a restaurant from the lower part of the state decided to open a restaurant here? My wife and I and some friends visited a Mexican place down in Charleston (Folly Beach to be exact) a while back and loved it. It was a special kind of Mexican unlike the stuff we have up here where all the ingredients were fresh and cheese was not poured all over every meal.

>

> Anyway the owner of this place is looking at locations in the upstate and Asheville and had almost decided on Greenville before a buddy of mine (who is a banker) called the owner and told her to visit Spartanburg. She did and loved our town but is not totally sold on it. If she went to Greenville I feel the place would probably do well, but it would be just another restaurant among many. Here I think it would be very special and if she were to put it at say the old Brasserie, it might really jump start the Grain District.

>

> If we were to do an email or call campaign, do you think it might sway her to come to Spartanburg? The restaurant is called Taco Boy.

http://www.tacoboy.net

http://www.facebook....rg/190151364316

Wow! We vacation at Folly every summer, and Taco Boy is our favorite place to eat. The soft fish taco is tremendous!!!!

I got a message back from someone down in economic development as my message from Citizen Spartanburg got passed over to them. The folks from Taco Boy were just in town scouting locations. They did not tell me where all they looked but did mention that the brasserie was too big. Apparently they are looking for a smaller place that has a deck or room to build one. Sonny's most resembles the kind of place they have at Folly Beach, so thats kind of what they are looking for. Off the the top of my head, nothing is coming to me w/o building something new. Everywhere I think of is too big even if the location is great.

Does anyone have any ideas that maybe their realtor did not bring up?

Ground floor of the Montgomery Building. "George" students would overrun the place at lunch.

Just discovered this place thanks to a link over at my normal haunt, The Spartanburg Spark, Oh yeah I know why I'm there so much, I write Miss Mom.

My favorite spots to eat.

Monsoon Noodle House

My always return to favorites:

Venus Pie

Mellow Mushroom

Papa's Breakfast Nook

On the westside

Bubba's BBQ and Holmes Hotdogs.

I've eaten at The Beacon since I moved here, had massive heartburn both times. Wades, once, I liked it, and will return.

I have a huge list of places to try.

Edited by sgalloway

Just discovered this place thanks to a link over at my normal haunt, The Spartanburg Spark, Oh yeah I know why I'm there so much, I write Miss Mom.

My favorite spots to eat.

Monsoon Noodle House

My always return to favorites:

Venus Pie

Mellow Mushroom

Papa's Breakfast Nook

On the westside

Bubba's BBQ and Holmes Hotdogs.

I've eaten at The Beacon since I moved here, had massive heartburn both times. Wades, once, I liked it, and will return.

I have a huge list of places to try.

Hi,

Which of these are completely non-smoking? I try to go with my family to non-smoking places. Although, I do admit that I will grab a burger or listen to music once in a while where smoking seems to be encouraged. Places that allow smoking and have a kid's menu really bug me.

That is a legitimate concern which will need to be addressed accordingly. I love the rooftop deck dining options in Greenville and Greer, but from the street they can feel a bit distant, unlike a street-level outdoor patio.

Looking for a reasonable, but good causal restaurant near River Park Falls with a deck/patio. Thought maybe Smoke on the Water would be good. I have heard that Oyster's on the West End was not good......any suggestions? THANKS!

That is a legitimate concern which will need to be addressed accordingly. I love the rooftop deck dining options in Greenville and Greer, but from the street they can feel a bit distant, unlike a street-level outdoor patio.

True. It varies though. I am thinking about places in Charleston and Myrtle Beach that have roof top terraces or patios that work really well. They don't add much to the street level activity but they are fun places to visit. I suppose the other thing to consider is putting this sort of rooftop deck on a taller building, so that there is a view (there won't be much of one at the old Meridian Bank location).

Looking for a reasonable, but good causal restaurant near River Park Falls with a deck/patio. Thought maybe Smoke on the Water would be good. I have heard that Oyster's on the West End was not good......any suggestions? THANKS!

Please go to the Greenville section to seek advice on Greenville's restaurants. Thanks.

Welcome to Urban Planet!