Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

+1. LOL!!
Solutions to parking in the vicinity of the new RJ Rockers Brewery and the new Terry's Taproom location:

1. Park at the RJ Rockers Brewery
  2. Park at the lWarrior Duck building lot
  3. Park on Ezell St
  4. Park around the Square
  5. Park on Main Street in front of the HJ and Mayor Barnet's new place.
  6. Park at the building across the street
  7. Park in the city lot across from QS/1 on Daniel Morgan Ave
  8. Park on Magnolia Street
  9. Park on Spring Street
  10. Park on Broad Street
  11. Park in the Magnolia Street Parking Garage

The culture of having parking immediately in front of your destination absolutely has to change in this town. If you have to walk a couple of blocks, suck it up! If you're complaining about TWO BLOCKS then you probably need the exercise!!

Jeez.... are you talking to me with your "suck it up?" Chill. I am speaking from a code standpoint ok. "Assembly" , which is how a bar / restaurant is classified, requires a certain number of spaces per sq. footage. To obtain this, said building must have a parking agreement with SOMEONe within a certain distance (150 ft?) to qualify. This building is not in the CBD therefore they can not count ' public parking".

So from your list.... only #6 has potenial to meet CODE! THis was the plight of the other Ezell St. buildings behind Salvation Army. No development without parking.... Those buildings were land-locked and bit the dust. One remains.

Code schmode!! If a bar is willing to move downtown, I'll park wherever is needed to go hang out there (even if its 3 blocks away). This is not something that happens very often in the "SC"(Sparkle City). Spartans need to get off their fat, lazy a$$ and quit worring about parking close to the place they are going downtown.

However, I feel sure patrons will be allowed to use Rockers parking when the time comes.

Jeez.... are you talking to me with your "suck it up?" Chill. I am speaking from a code standpoint ok. "Assembly" , which is how a bar / restaurant is classified, requires a certain number of spaces per sq. footage. To obtain this, said building must have a parking agreement with SOMEONe within a certain distance (150 ft?) to qualify. This building is not in the CBD therefore they can not count ' public parking".

So from your list.... only #6 has potenial to meet CODE! THis was the plight of the other Ezell St. buildings behind Salvation Army. No development without parking.... Those buildings were land-locked and bit the dust. One remains.

No, I wasn't directing that statement towards you specifically. Just people in general. I apologize that I didn't make it more clear. I feel like many Spartans are too lazy to walk a couple of blocks, and it frustrates me. I'm guessing that if you are reading/posting on this site you are probably not one of the culprits.

From a code standpoint, I don't know what the codes are. It sounds like you do though. IMO, some sort of shared parking arrangement will have to be made with RJ Rockers. There is plenty of parking on either side of the old Salvation Army Store though, so it shouldn't be an issue to get a variance.

No, I wasn't directing that statement towards you specifically. Just people in general. I apologize that I didn't make it more clear. I feel like many Spartans are too lazy to walk a couple of blocks, and it frustrates me. I'm guessing that if you are reading/posting on this site you are probably not one of the culprits.

From a code standpoint, I don't know what the codes are. It sounds like you do though. IMO, some sort of shared parking arrangement will have to be made with RJ Rockers. There is plenty of parking on either side of the old Salvation Army Store though, so it shouldn't be an issue to get a variance.

a link to parking codes...

http://www.cityofspartanburg.org/Online_Re...ml/Sect_504.htm

if it is a bar... then 1 parking space per four chairs... if a restuarant four spaces per 1,000 sq foot. Also, remote parking can be up to 400 ft. away.

Yes, there is room at Rj now but if a restuarant locates, then not so much. 6,500 sq ft = 26 spaces to meet code.. will be tight. Plus employess??

The Jazz club "Blues Boulevard" is open and serving lunch and dinner. I went in and they've really done an amazing job in that space. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but I was quite impressed with the inside. Its really upscale looking, but the salads and sandwiches are very reasonably priced. The owner said they opened Friday a week ago with a local band on Th- Sa and they had good crowds. The official grand opening will be late August, but they are open and ready for business now. I still think the outside needs more attention to attract people to that space though.

Yes, it was Crossroads Coffee. Its under Lime Leaf Cafe', you enter on Church St. half way down the block and directly across the street from Wild Wings elevator. They did a good job with their sign, but until its lit at dark it kind of blends in with the building. They should install some large container plants and maybe an open flag off of the canopy post to attract attention and soften the entry and make it feel a little more welcoming.

The Jazz club "Blues Boulevard" is open and serving lunch and dinner. I went in and they've really done an amazing job in that space. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but I was quite impressed with the inside. Its really upscale looking, but the salads and sandwiches are very reasonably priced. The owner said they opened Friday a week ago with a local band on Th- Sa and they had good crowds. The official grand opening will be late August, but they are open and ready for business now. I still think the outside needs more attention to attract people to that space though.

I went in there for a drink last week after Music on Main. Very nice...I hope they are successful.

Two different sources have told me that Terry's Tap Room is moving beside RJ Rockers. Could be true.

I passed by this place yesterday and there was a sign out front that said "Main Street Pub" opening soon. Apparently Terry's is going somewhere else or possibly not at all unless they are changing the name.

• 2 weeks later...

I passed by this place yesterday and there was a sign out front that said "Main Street Pub" opening soon. Apparently Terry's is going somewhere else or possibly not at all unless they are changing the name.

As I was attending "A Taste of Spartanburg" this past Saturday (which by the way is a great event and showcase of Sparkle city dining options), I saw and heard several things.

1) The backside of Sonny's has a sign over the top announcing a burger joint called Krocs is coming soon. From what I can gather Sonny is not involved with this.

2) The restaurant going in over at the brewery is going to be a tapas restaurant.

3) Apparently Terry's Tap Room is still coming to downtown from what I heard and they may be changing their name to "Main Street Pub".

Whether all this is correct or not remains to be seen, but just the fact that there is some buzz and rumors floating around town is a good thing. A lot of folks I talked with are really fired up about the brewery and the pub opening beside it.

Had lunch at La Paz Mexican restaurant and grill (old Beef O' Grady's location) I really enjoyed the food and since the restaurant is in a newer building it was very bright, although almost too stereotypical yellow. had more items than some mexican restaurants, but I still kept with the burrito, rice and beans. Overall enjoyed the lunch and plan to go back and maybe try some different menu items.