Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

If the average working man doesn't try some of the restaurants mentioned, then he is missing some great food. I rotate through all of the downtown restaurants at lunch (usually once a week). I've also been to several of them (Lime Leaf, Wild Wings, Sonny's, Justin's) at night and have never had to park in a garage.

I spend no more at these places than I do at the others mentioned (except the fast food ones of course). In my opinion most of the negative talk about price and parking is perception and misconception. I enjoy good food and supporting our downtown in the process. It's a win-win for me.

I'm looking forward to trying Cornbread to Caviar (sp) and the new place behind Sonny's.

Edited by hub-city

I don't understand the objection to parking in a deck when its free on nights and weekends. I've never paid to park in any deck downtown. In fact, I've never had a problem parking downtown. The city needs to do a better job selling the overabundant parking downtown and the fact that if you go downtown you will walk less than if you went to buy a plant and a gallon of milk at Walkmart.

I contend that that the people who can afford to go to national chain restaurants can also afford to go to similarly priced local restaurants. If you go to one, you can go to the other. I agree with hub city here. There must be a misconception about what these local restaurants are really about, and what downtown is about. I also think that its the lack of diversity when it comes to entertainment downtown. If you look at other cities and basic economics, when you have a clustering of similar restaurants, they will all do better.

Please direct your sports related conversation to this thread.

I don't understand the objection to parking in a deck when its free on nights and weekends. I've never paid to park in any deck downtown. In fact, I've never had a problem parking downtown. The city needs to do a better job selling the overabundant parking downtown and the fact that if you go downtown you will walk less than if you went to buy a plant and a gallon of milk at Walkmart.

I contend that that the people who can afford to go to national chain restaurants can also afford to go to similarly priced local restaurants. If you go to one, you can go to the other. I agree with hub city here. There must be a misconception about what these local restaurants are really about, and what downtown is about. I also think that its the lack of diversity when it comes to entertainment downtown. If you look at other cities and basic economics, when you have a clustering of similar restaurants, they will all do better.

Please direct your sports related conversation to this thread.

There's not a single downtown eatery in Spartanburg whose menu is higher priced than what you'll find at the typical casual dining (Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garden, Outback Steak House, etc.) restaurant found at Westgate, Boiling Springs, Reidville Road, or Hillcrest. The problem is perception. A lot of folks think that downtown restaurants are higher priced when in fact they're not. Moreover, the food and service often is better than what is found at these chains. And, as Spartan points out, the parking is within a reasonable walking distance, safe, clean, and FREE.

Personally, I avoid the suburban chains if at all possible and support the entrepreneurs who like me, believe in downtown Spartanburg. Downtown is finally beginning to develop some dining and entertainment synergy in spite of the recession. Morgan Square is green, leafy, pedestrian-friendly, and clean - the best its looked in my lifetime.

I recommend that everyone check out Tom Crabtree's blog on the WSPA-TV website regarding downtown Spartanburg dining.

I think chains are gross! I agree that one can buy a price- comparable meal downtown. Better quality sure! However, I have also had some high-priced crap! Fine dining should be impeccable. I first test a new-to-me restuaraunt by having a drink and an appetizer. If they get that right I may have an entree. I deduce if I order a wedge salad and it comes out with browning lettuce, I will not buy a $27 steak. THis has happened and a downtown place but will not 'call them out".

I have worked in food establishments so I am quite picky. Due to the economic crisis, people are scaling back on eating out.

I think dining out is more of a splurge these days so an A GAMe is necessary.

Miyako's has never disappointed me. Nor, Abbey's(RIP)

I do enjoy the CLock now and again for it's fast friendly service> Welcome to the Westside!! I tried a BBQhotdog there.... crazy but enjoyable. ANd they HAVe pie!

In other news, the Brewery is making some good progress. I'm not sure I like the facade choice, but from the picture it looks better than the old Salvation Army store did. Anyway, the site also includes The Tap Room, which will operate separately from the brewery, but will make the place function more like a brew-pub. I'm looking forward to both!

HJ Article

How about a quick review of a Spartanburg nugget that has been around forever. The wife and I had breakfast at the Simple Simon this morning and it was fantastic! She wanted to originally go to the Skillet (she thought the Simon was run down) and I wanted to go to the Simon ( I have always liked the Simon better as it is more of a joint). I won out as there was a line at the Skillet. Anyway the place has been totally redone since I was last here and is much nicer. The food hasn't changed however and was great. Omelets, grits, hashbrowns, biscuits and good hot coffee. I even looked at the lunch menu while I was waiting and it looked good enough that I will give it a try.

Sometimes we forget about the existing eateries that are already here. This is one everyone should visit at some point.

La Paz is on Hyw. 9 in Boiling Springs. It is in the old Beef O' Grady's location near Copper River.

I recently tried out LaPaz and found it to be a refreshing alternative to the average Mexican restaurant in town. Their menu isn't

radically different but they did have a few selections can't be found elsewhere in town. The decor is much brighter and open than what is typical. Overall, a good dining experience.

What ever happened to the mexican place that was supposed to open in the "international" market downtown? Bijou Market I think it was called. That whole deal flopped pretty quickly.

THe international market NEVER happened. THe shops nor restaurants opened. Pity. It is still vacant.

Edited by travey

I have heard good reviews about Fratellos (italian) in Roebuck.. THere is an article in the HJ today. Two brothers from Ecuador, who lived in NYC for many years and worked in Italian restuaraunts, have opened it. THey say they have pizza by the slice or whole and great pastas....

Anyone tried it?

Not surprising.

Spartanburg Herald Journal

Published: October 13, 2009

Justin's Steakhouse on West Main Street closed Monday.

The owner told the Spartanburg Herald Journal, the restaurant is closing because of poor sales.

The owner says they were no longer able to break even.

The 15 employees will be offered jobs at the Justin's Steakhouse in Greenville.

Edited by Sparkleman

Had lunch at Caviar to Cornbread last week. The food was very good and decent prices. Had chicken breast with with sweet potato fries, and collard greens. Add in the cornbread and sweet tea, all for under $9.00 is a good deal to me. My waiter was a little inexperienced, but that will improve with time. I'll go back soon.