ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Its very close to downtown, Lake Eola is across the street. In and around this area its mostly single family dwelling but the street your mentioning (Central) is mostly highrises. Another street over (Summerlin) is Thornton Park's sort of "downtown" with restaurants/galleries, etc. All of the other projects planned for the area (Star tower, brownstones, the Jackson) are being built on either parking lots or empty lots. Its a pretty big neighborhood and most of the projects have been built within scale, however the Sanctuary is a monster, so we shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

LYNX Intermodal Terminal opens in 5 days!

LYNX Central Station: Convenient and Customer-Friendly

The opening of LYNX Central Station (LCS), the new downtown bus station, on Sunday, November 14 will usher in a new era of convenience for our riders. In addition to providing customers with a spacious terminal and separate air-conditioned waiting area, the LCS also contains additional features designed to get our customers where they need to go as efficiently as possible:

Massive 10' x 20' screen effectively displays all bus arrival and departure times

Separate bus walkways and an enhanced lighting system ensure rider safety

On-site lost and found department and customer service staff to assist passenger needs

The ability to purchase bus passes or sign up for a LYNX I.D. at one convenient location

In news related to the station, the separate opening festivities scheduled for elected officials/business leaders and the public, have been combined into one daylong event. The Grand Opening Celebration will take place at the LCS on Friday, November 19 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The celebration features a formal dedication, live radio station remotes, food and plenty of fun activities.

The LCS began construction in February 2003. It consists of 24 bus bays, a 20,000 square-foot terminal and a 67,000 square-foot office tower on a 4.4-acre site located on Garland Avenue between Amelia Street and Livingston Street in downtown Orlando.

LCS_small.jpg

LCS%20Logo%20and%20LYMMOweb.JPG

The main one now is on a key parcel (forget exact street) right near Church St area. The mayor recently suggested this has a good investment for development, so I'm sure we will see something there eventually. I personally think this land would be better for the PAC, as it is in a denser area, and the land across city hall can be built up with highrises.

Hello all. I'm new here and not an architect or planner, I'm a librarian with an interest in architecture and development in Orlando. I currently live in College Park.

I visited The Wellesley today and got some information on it. They start demolition next week on the existing buildings. http://www.thewellesley.com

If anyone wants local information or photos of buildings, let me know.

James

Wow that is an awesome article. It really puts things into perspective. 18 condo projects slated! Putting it that way, downtown Orlando is actually not far behind downtown Miami (not counting the whole metro area, and our annoying height limit). I like the breakdown of each individual project.

I found another rendering of the Florida Hospital Expansion:

panorama_view.jpg

Also expanding in Celebration:

ch_mob_rend04feb03.jpg

And here is the Arnold Palmer Trauma Center Expansion (this is on top of the 11 story tower which I believe topped out in October)...not a good rendering but it looks like the original hospital is reclad in darker glass and a new entrance as well:

photo_nr_groundbreak.jpg

More info:

Block bounded by Orange, Washington, Garland and Jefferson.

400,000 sq. ft. office tower

150,000 sq. ft. office condos

100,000 sq. ft. outdoor shopping plaza

residential tower and 2,600 space parking garage

thanks to dale for providing the info on the project on skyscrapercity. The new cameron kuhn project.

Archived