Baseball in Charlotte, which will happen?

monsoon

BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?

• Major League Baseball in 2nd Ward
    • Minor League Baseball in 3rd Ward
    • Neither

One great idea is that of having a second level around the park as far as expansion. I think there are numerous expansion possibilities for a stadium on site. In regards to people saying that they don't want MLB, what's it in for you? Any growth is good, and MLB is growth from a minor league stadium, and a major league stadium says something about the city you live in. It would be one thing if the Knight's have had a long successful history to those of Charlotte, but honestly, the Knight's haven't had the impressive of an appearance here in the Charlotte area. I remember living in Buffalo where the minor league team- the Buffalo Bisons played in there downtown stadium, and there was a a lot more life than that here in Charlotte as far as the stadium and teams exsistance stands. We wouldn't be giving up that much for a major league team. And for those arguing that they want cheap entertainment, MLB really isn't that expensive, and I know that expensive means different things to different people. I remember going up to Toronto Blue Jay games for $4.00 a ticket in Canadian (maybe what $3.00 a ticket in America). Yes this was in the outfield and in a huge stadium that hardly sold out, but this was recently in the last 5 years or so. I'm not saying MLB is right for the city right now, I don't believe we have the correct demographics right now. I think a MLB (when comparing to Minor league) as far as ticket prices go, that we have in general as a whole a lot more money in the city that that of other cities that support Major League Teams. I know that's a vague comment, but just a slight example, home prices in Charlotte average home prices are double, around $200k vs about $80k in Buffalo and 90k in Rochester. I don't think we would have trouble filing seats based on ticket prices being the problem. Again, we just need to wait a few more years for the city to change its demographics. A lot of people are moving to Charlotte from cities that are supporting major league teams.

As far as the Knights supporting an expandable field, since it's their personal budget that is paying for the stadium, then I wouldn't imagine why they would want to pay for an expanding field (assuming there is a great difference in price). If the designs called for an expansion field, then I would have to think that there would be 3rd parties, investors, and/or local government involved in covering the difference of expenses for an expandable field vs. a nonexpandable.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One great idea is that of having a second level around the park as far as expansion. I think there are numerous expansion possibilities for a stadium on site. In regards to people saying that they don't want MLB, what's it in for you? Any growth is good, and MLB is growth from a minor league stadium, and a major league stadium says something about the city you live in. It would be one thing if the Knight's have had a long successful history to those of Charlotte, but honestly, the Knight's haven't had the impressive of an appearance here in the Charlotte area. I remember living in Buffalo where the minor league team- the Buffalo Bisons played in there downtown stadium, and there was a a lot more life than that here in Charlotte as far as the stadium and teams exsistance stands. We wouldn't be giving up that much for a major league team. And for those arguing that they want cheap entertainment, MLB really isn't that expensive, and I know that expensive means different things to different people. I remember going up to Toronto Blue Jay games for $4.00 a ticket in Canadian (maybe what $3.00 a ticket in America). Yes this was in the outfield and in a huge stadium that hardly sold out, but this was recently in the last 5 years or so. I'm not saying MLB is right for the city right now, I don't believe we have the correct demographics right now. I think a MLB (when comparing to Minor league) as far as ticket prices go, that we have in general as a whole a lot more money in the city that that of other cities that support Major League Teams. I know that's a vague comment, but just a slight example, home prices in Charlotte average home prices are double, around $200k vs about $80k in Buffalo and 90k in Rochester. I don't think we would have trouble filing seats based on ticket prices being the problem. Again, we just need to wait a few more years for the city to change its demographics. A lot of people are moving to Charlotte from cities that are supporting major league teams.

As far as the Knights supporting an expandable field, since it's their personal budget that is paying for the stadium, then I wouldn't imagine why they would want to pay for an expanding field (assuming there is a great difference in price). If the designs called for an expansion field, then I would have to think that there would be 3rd parties, investors, and/or local government involved in covering the difference of expenses for an expandable field vs. a nonexpandable.

i got a crazy idea... why not let a mlb team play in our minor leauge stadium that way we average leauge top 100%. Its not really about the % more about the actuall number of tickets sold right guys... on that note dont expect a very cool stadium (restaurants and all that good stuff imbedded with the project) the knights are trying to go as cheap as possible

They made it harder on themselves, as they want homebase to face the skyline, whereas if they made the 3rd baseline follow Grahm and 1st baseline follow MLK, with only outfield seating in left field, they could probably have an easier time. But I suppose they aren't really complaining, it is just the article that is presenting this as an obstacle.

I'm not sure that their sole reason for facing the skyline is for aesthetic reasons only but so the sun is not in the eyes of the fans during late afternoon/sunset games.

Haha, did anyone hear the interview on WFAE yesterday morning concerning the ballpark? They had Michael Smith and the president of Charlotte Knights (I beleive), and one other - I forget who now - but the question was posed:

WFAE: "What happens when someone hits the ball out of the park onto the street?"

Answering together, the three parties: "Um....Er....Well.....We'll put up a net."

It was innocent, but it did strike me to be funny that they stumbled over the question like it was something they had overlooked.

I didn't get to hear the whole interview, only a few minutes, but they suggested was that one would be able to look from Tryon at the top of the new city park and see all the way down into the playing field of the stadium (this being a result of the topography of the city, and because the playing feild will be set below street level, and the walls of the stadium will allow for view into the bowl of the playing field.

I've only seen one incodent of this happening where a ball actually landed on parked car and broke the cracked the windshield at a major league baseball stadium, but it was a foul ball that went out on the side. I don't remember which stadium it was. Anyway, as far as homeruns go, many downtown stadiums put up a secondary wall between the homerun fence and the back of the site that is actually taller. Since it overshoots the home run fence, sometimes additional advertising is made or just is a plane wall. Either way, it would be a rarity of the ball making it on the street, but I'm sure it wouldn't ever be too much of a problem if it did, anyway. Would be funny to see it make it though.

The latest CBJ article on the Knights move downtown is available. They hope to begin environmental testing later this month. Is that the same as soil testing or are they having to check for pollutants since there were warehouses and such on the property before? Renderings of the new stadium should be out in about 3 months they say.

There are a lot of brownfields in the area, as this place was full of tracks and industrial buildings for a long time. It would be incredibly interesting if they found some contamination on what is quite a large site, as the Knights have said that they can only afford to tolerate a small amount of environmental remediation. It would be quite hilarious if after years of pushing like the dickens for this land, to have them walk away after finding a nice and friendly pool of toxic stew in a section from a dripping train one day in 1937 or something. You just never know.

The Knights had a utility locator team out at the site, toward the MLK / Graham side of the site yesterday. I would also be shocked if they found any substantial amount of toxic dirt. Park and Rec did start the clearing over a year ago and I doubt they would have gone that far without knowing there wouldn't have be a heavy capital investment in cleaning up the land. And if it is toxic, just make sure to tell the ballplayers to not pick at the grass in the outfield and make sure the manager doesn't throw water over home plate to turn the dirt into toxic mud. :)

:)

On the stadium, I really like the idea of just a wall along Mint that could maybe be open during some events to provide an overflow space for the park. That might help to offset the slightly smaller park when there are really large events going on.

I was just thinking, could this baseball stadium be used for concerts? The stands could be filled and then some people could stand on the lawn, with a stage in the outfield. I think that would be an awesome concert venue, with the glowing skyline in the background.

I was just thinking, could this baseball stadium be used for concerts? The stands could be filled and then some people could stand on the lawn, with a stage in the outfield. I think that would be an awesome concert venue, with the glowing skyline in the background.

I don't see why it couldn't, the current Fort Mill location hosts concerts.

Archived