Baseball in Charlotte, which will happen?

monsoon

BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?

• Major League Baseball in 2nd Ward
    • Minor League Baseball in 3rd Ward
    • Neither

Jerry Reese has followed up with the threats that we reported on earlier in this thread and filed papers in court to stop this deal from going through. He contends, I believe, the land deal is illegal in North Carolina because it was not put up for bid for anyone who might want to buy it. He does have a point.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would seem to me that comparing commerce of the entire planet to a minor league baseball field in Charlotte, NC is a bit of a stretch, but it is his right in our laws to challenge the government in the court system. If this deal breaks state laws on the sale of public property then it ought to be addressed.

The hypocrisy of Jerry Reese here is truly astounding. He states he is suing CMS because he feels they are shortchanging the taxpayer by not selling this land for more money...and yet in HIS plan that HE presented to City Council and County Commision this same land would have been given to him for FREE so that he could build a major league stadium! LOL What a total nut job. I remember the last time he was presenting in front of the County Commision and they asked him what communications he had with the Miami Marlins that indicated they wanted to move to Charlotte and the best he could do was say they sent him a Christmas Card. I don't want a single cent of taxpayer money going towards Jerry Reese or any plan he is behind. It would be doomed to certain failure.

The big, fun announcements will be for those buildings coming to 2nd Ward. The one rendering I've seen of one of them is simply AMAZING. They are going to be renaming much of the area Brooklyn Village as a nod to the black community that was bulldozed for urban renewal years back...I am so excited about the 3rd Ward elements of this swap that it was easy to forget the massive transformation coming to 2nd Ward.

Reese is just mad that he is not going to get rich off of a 3rd ward stadium as opposed to his 2nd ward project. His plan looks great but MLB would survive for about one season in this market.

I say build the stadium in 3rd ward, wait 20 years for a relocation or expansion and then build a new MLB stadium. This isn't Field of Dreams; they won't necessarily come if you build it.

Archived