Baseball in Charlotte, which will happen?

monsoon

BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?

• Major League Baseball in 2nd Ward
    • Minor League Baseball in 3rd Ward
    • Neither

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that the original plan for Reese's lawsuit, to sue that baseball isn't allowed on the land has been abandonned, I'm sure on advice from counsel. It was a pretty thin argument. I'm sure the current lawsuit won't get that far either. We'll see.

It is great that it has passed the hurdles within the elected bodies. I'm convinced that the landswap provides amenities that will support the much larger 2010 uptown residential and visitor population. Better parks, another season for sports entertainment, affordable/workforce housing, development of 20 acres downtown that are currently dead. It also adds momentum to many uptown projects, as people might be now more willing to buy and live in projects near the new parks.

I'm sure it will sure there will be some great opportunities, as both minor league baseball and the trolley are both popular for kids and families. But I'm sure there will also be many that forego uptown parking spots for a trip on the train.

It is 700 yards away, which is walkable in less than ten minutes.

It's about 4-5 blocks from the Blue Line, but just a block away is the Gateway Station that will have the North Commuter Rail.

...which doesn't really help much since that is a commuter train and will really not be used for entertainment purposes or just getting around like the LRT/bus system will.

On WBT AM this morning they interviewed the city attorney (or at least one of them if there is more than one). He seemed pretty optimistic that Jerry Reese's lawsuit(s) were baseless and wouldn't go very far. He made a laughing comment that he and his staff (and their counterparts for the county) work on these types of issues everyday and they didn't anticipate much trouble winning in court. I guess take that for what it's worth, but I had figured as much when the county, city, and school board voted to proceed. They most definitely have been getting advice from their council on the legality of the land swap all along. I'd say they must feel they are pretty much covered or we wouldn't have proceeded this far.

• 1 month later...

I fgot this email from Center City Partners

There is a public hearing at County Commission on July 10 in the evening

for the public to speak out. At that meeting, the commission will vote

on the final contract with the Knights. We hope anyone with an opinion

on the matter attends to speak out.

They also said that two out of three lawsuits have been filed by Mr. Reese.

So this is where this project stands now.

I fgot this email from Center City Partners

There is a public hearing at County Commission on July 10 in the evening

for the public to speak out. At that meeting, the commission will vote

on the final contract with the Knights. We hope anyone with an opinion

on the matter attends to speak out.

They also said that two out of three lawsuits have been filed by Mr. Reese.

So this is where this project stands now.

I've been told they can move forward on much of this while the preliminary hearings are held for these lawsuits. No transfers or purchases can occur, but all (or many) other elements of the process can move forward based on assumptions that the lawsuits will eventually be thrown out. They can continue drawing up plans and basically putting all ducks in a row.

Its seems the knights are now calling the shot and aiming for the fences. They have now announced in the print CBJ that they will are meeting with their investors and architects in order to insure a 2009 move in.

Its a roofless 10k seat capacity structure, how long do you expect it to take. Honestly if the buildling is recessed into the ground as many are, the thing that would take the longest is the site work and grading, and street rerouting/removing. If they started soon april 09 is very possible for it to be operational, with street improvements still in the works.

They could also plan to open to just open the section between 1st and Home and 3rd bases, building out the extra seating in the outfield throughout the season and between 2009 and 2010. But probably, they are looking at at doing the whole thing in the next year and 8 months. It doesn't seem like a stretch to me, but they might just have to pay for evening and weekend work. It is just a matter of determining if they will make enough more money uptown versus Fort Mill to justify the extra cost for speeding up work. My guess is they are talking about this because they believe it is worth it.

Archived