Baseball in Charlotte, which will happen?

monsoon

BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?

• Major League Baseball in 2nd Ward
    • Minor League Baseball in 3rd Ward
    • Neither

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I'm a wealth of information, but I don't think MLB could survive in this market currently. 10 or 15 years from now, yes, but we don't have the fan base just yet. Just look at how the Bobcats are doing when it comes to fan loyalty and most everyone here is a Braves fan, or at least those who are actually FROM Charlotte so you'd be splitting loyalties, imho. The most likely scenario is for the Knights to build their stadium in 3rd Ward and have it be convertible to a MLB stadium. Play for 5-10 years and reassess our population growth and the needs of the MLB and go from there.

I disagree, I have heard numerous people talk about how much better it would be to have an MLB franchise then an NBA team and wish we could get one, now I dont agree but I think that there would be fans, the bottem line is, it takes time to build loyal fans its not instant, and I would say the bobcats are doing a pretty great job right now trying to make it work

Thanks for that info, Raintree.

The Bobcats are an interesting scenario to compare MLB to, since the Hornets were extremely popular. Its not so much the sport as it is the team in the case of NBA, it would seem.

Now, I am by no means an expert on MLB anything, but- it would seem that with so much baseball talent in the Carolinas at the college level, it would make sense to locate an MLB team in Charlotte. Anyway, given my limited knowledge here, I think Raintree's scenario makes the most sense.

the attendance for mlb would be abysmal - afternoon games in large metros like detroit dont draw that well. our stadium would be lucky to have as many folks as the kansas city afternoon games - which would not be many. i would love to have mlb uptown but we are a long ways off on that one (10+ years)

The vote by the county was a go, so now the City & CMS need to approve the land swap. The county voted on having the Knights pay for the infrastructure improvements and the Knights would be paid back in some form of a grant or something of that nature. I didn't catch the whole thing but I caught the recap at the end of the meeting.

Finally some actual progress instead of just talking. Did anyone hear any dates mentioned? I know the Knights renewed their lease for next year in Fort Mill already... So what are we looking at? Fall of 2009? That seems to be a big year for openings downtown.

This thread always seems to come back to "why not go for the Majors"...

Unless something has changed, everyone I've ever spoken with that seems to know and is involved in this whole deal, and everything I've read on here or in print, Major League Baseball isn't looking expand to this area and no teams are truly looking at Charlotte (Jerrys pipedream of the Marlins was never part of any plans they had). To me it just doesn't make sense to always bring the debate back to a plan that has no traction according to the organization itself. The city, and Center City Partners, and MLB, are not debating what level of baseball will come, only if the Knights will.

^Right, and I'm still unclear on the concept of building a field that can be "converted" when we're ready for the majors one day. From the proposals seen so far for the Knights' new field, they just barely fit into the proposed space, I don't see how something could be added at some later date.

As the county is taking the largest risk, and they have voted to proceed, I'm fairly sure that CMS and Charlotte City Council will approve this deal this month. I presume that means that this month, they can officially move forward with the park, right?

Just getting grass on that site will be a major boost to that area, marred by asphalt surface lots.

Assuming this passes: if Charlotte gets MLB in fifteen years, when the city is significantly bigger and richer, a new baseball stadium can be built with whatever terms are acceptable at that time. This land can then be sold for development or converted to a much much larger park. That is a debate, though, for when/if MLB is actually interested in coming, and capable of being sustained in this city.

Not to invoke the dreaded "A" word, but does anyone know the terms of when Fulton County Stadium was torn down for the new Braves stadium called Turner Field? I know the Olympics had a pretty big part in it but did the city pay for it or did Ted Turner? Perhaps that could give us a possible example of what could happen if we ever needed a MLB stadium.

Well, as long as there is true progress, and no hangups from political debate, then I guess the time taking is okay. There won't be as many controversial points on the new land, no discussion of how to build around 3rd St, no discussion of how to build around a building in the center, no discussion of how to get people there so far from Tryon. I'm sure the architects/land designers already pretty much have an idea how to solve all of goals and hurdles on the land.

Not to invoke the dreaded "A" word, but does anyone know the terms of when Fulton County Stadium was torn down for the new Braves stadium called Turner Field? I know the Olympics had a pretty big part in it but did the city pay for it or did Ted Turner? Perhaps that could give us a possible example of what could happen if we ever needed a MLB stadium.

Archived