Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Coach Rob will be missed. I first met him back in the 70's when my parents would take me up to Grambling for football games and other activities. He is a Louisiana Legend and I'm proud to say I knew him. He taught both my parents when they were students in Grambling back in the 60's. He was still coaching when I get there in the late 80's. Not only was he a great coach but he was a great American.

Monday April 9th will be Eddie Robinson Day in Louisiana. Coach Rob will lie in state for a public viewing in the Capitol Rodunta from 10:00am - 7:00pm with a memorial service to be held at 5:00pm.

So I'm sure you Saints fans have heard about former Dolphins kicker Olindo Mare being traded to New Orleans last week, and John Carney being released shortly thereafter. However, many of you may not have read the letter Carney left New Orleanians and Saints fans:

To the Faithful of New Orleans:

My time of wearing the Fleur de Lis has come to a close. For six seasons, I have been blessed and privileged to represent the most faithful, loyal fans that the NFL has to offer. This was never so evident than during this magical season of 2006. Monday night football will never reach the pitch and purpose it met on the night of September 25th.

New Orleans is a city regaining its strength and swagger, and the Saints are proud to be leading the way. My family and I have been forever imprinted with the style, culture and kindness of the South. Through triumphs and tragedies, the perseverance and integrity of the New Orleans' people is far stronger than politics and hurricanes.

I leave New Orleans a far better man, looking for a team in need of a wrinkled foot, sure to soon be missing great friends of the South, with the knowledge that my taste buds will always yearn for one more Drago's charbroiled oyster!

May God bless the city of New Orleans. Thank ya'll for the support and class you showed me during my Saint's career. Best wishes and God speed,

John Carney

What a classy guy, eh?

Best of luck to you John, wherever you may end up!

Wow, that's really nice. John Carney is a class act, I 2nd that motion too. Best of luck!! :thumbsup:

Joe Horn will be missed too. Hope he doesn't shred the Saints secondary too bad next season.

Nothing stays the same for too long in the NFL. NFL stands for "Not For Long".

Looking forward to the NFL Draft in a couple of weeks! It should be interesting!

^ Your right ironchapman. With Joe Horn going to the Falcons it should even be more interesting! :thumbsup:

Saints get 4 "Prime-Time" games on 2007 schedule

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/...ed/6970722.html

*Season-opener on Thursday Night - at Colts (Sept.6th)

*Monday night- HOME vs. Titans (Sept. 24th)

*Sunday night - at Seahawks (Oct. 14th)

*Monday night - at Falcons (Dec. 10th)

>scroll to bottom for full schedule

Taking Notice

NFL gives Saints four nationally televised prime-time slots

Article from the Times-Picayune

America couldn't get enough of the heart-tugging saga of the New Orleans Saints' triumphant return to the Crescent City last year, so National Football League schedule-makers made sure the country will see even more in 2007.

The full 2007 schedule for the Saints:

bold=Primetime

Preseason

Aug. 5 Pittsburgh Steelers (Hall of Fame Game) in Canton, Ohio 7:00 pm

Aug. 10 Buffalo Bills 7:00 pm

TBA at Cincinnati Bengals TBA

TBA at Kansas City Chiefs TBA

Aug. 30 Miami Dolphins 7:00 pm

Regular Season

Sept. 6 at Indianapolis Colts 7:30 pm NBC

Sept. 16 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12:00 pm Fox

Sept. 24 Tennessee Titans (Monday) 7:30 pm ESPN

Sept. 30 BYE

Oct. 7 Carolina Panthers 12:00 pm Fox

Oct. 14 at Seattle Seahawks 7:15 pm NBC

Oct. 21 Atlanta Falcons 12:00 pm Fox

Oct. 28 at San Francisco 49ers 3:15 pm Fox

Nov. 4 Jacksonville Jaguars 12:00 pm CBS

Nov. 11 St. Louis Rams 12:00 pm Fox

Nov. 18 at Houston Texans 12:00 pm Fox

Nov. 25 at Carolina Panthers 12:00 pm Fox

Dec. 2 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12:00 pm Fox

Dec. 10 at Atlanta Falcons 7:30 pm ESPN

Dec. 16 Arizona Cardinals 12:00 pm Fox

Dec. 23 Philadelphia Eagles 12:00 pm Fox

Dec. 30 at Chicago Bears 12:00 pm Fox

Some of the very interesting games for the Saints this year:

• Saints vs Texans- Reggie Bush vs Mario Williams!
  • Saints vs Titans- Vince Young/Reggie Bush rematch (2006 NCAA Championship)
  • Saints vs Falcons(2)- apart from the massive rivalry, you now have Joe Horn vs his former team
  • Saints vs Eagles- Eagles' chance for revenge after the Saints beat them twice last year, and ended their season
  • Saints vs Bears- NFC Championship rematch
  • Saints vs Colts- Payton Manning vs his hometown, and father's old team

Nice job Nate! Thanks for making the schedule look nice. The schedule is just full of interesting scenarios!!!

All the exposure is nice; but I'm not thrilled that the Saints have an "extra" pre-season game. The pre-season is already plenty long enough...now 5 games. That's 21 games + the playoffs. That's just plain "Brutal". The Saints can follow the Chargers lead for pre-season games. Ladainian Tomlinson did not play one-down during the pre-season. They saved the NFL's best RB. Hopefully the Saints back-up RB's get the work; Deuce & Reggie should get VERY limited work for the pre-season. We already know what they can do.

Edited by richyb83

How are Falcons fans feeling about the Joe Horn move, IC?

I haven't talked much about the Falcons lately, to be honest. I spend the football off-season following my other two loves in the sports world: baseball and hockey (note the Thrashers logo avatar).

However, the few people I have mentioned it to have generally been very approving of the decision.

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL Draft is Saturday. Does this change things for the Saints in the draft?? Many experts said they would be looking for help at the CB position, possibly in the 1st Round. Today the Saints picked up free agent CB-Jason David from the Super Bowl Champs Indianapolis Colts.

Now who will the Saints pick up in the 1st Round?? The "Best" available athlete?? Last years draft was one of the Saints best ever! Picking up Reggie Bush with the 2nd pick overall; the "Steal" of the draft Marques Colston from Hofstra in the 7th Round.OG- Jahri Evans 4th Round from tiny Bloomsburg who started all season long! Roman Harper(2nd Round) was also a starter until season ending knee injury early.

http://batonrouge.cox.net/cci/sports/local...lidateaparticle

*LSU should have three 1st Round picks on Saturday!!!! Jamarcus Russell could be the 1st Overall pick by the Raiders?? Safety-Laron Landry is projected to go anywhere from 6th-to 14th overall. And WR-Dwayne Bowe will also be selected in the 1st Round; Panthers?, Chargers?, Chiefs? Cowboys??

WR-Craig "Buster" Davis will likely be gone by Round #2.

DT-Glen Dorsey who decided to stay at LSU for his Sr. season would have probably been selected in the 1st Round.

This should be interesting to watch!!!

Losing Joe Horn, I think this made good sense picking Meacham. He looked good vs. LSU this year! Signing free-agent CB yesterday freed them up for this player! More weapons for Brees!

LSU had three 1st rounders already!

*JaMarcus Russell- 1st overall to the Raiders

*Laron Landry 6th pick- Redskins

*Dwayne Bowe 23rd pick- Chiefs (^ I figured KC had a good chance)

10 of the Top 29 picks in todays 1st Round are from the SEC!!! :tough:

Edited by richyb83

***LOUISIANA Draft Connections****

Rd.(overall)

1 (1) JaMarcus Russell QB LSU Raiders

1 (6) LaRon Landry FS LSU Redskins

1 (23) Dwayne Bowe WR LSU Chiefs

1 (30) Craig"Buster" Davis WR LSU Chargers

3 (73) Jacoby Jones WR Lane (New Orleans) Texans

3 (84) Jonathan Wade CB Tennesee(Shreveport) Rams

4 (114) Marvin White DB TCU (Port Barre) Bengals

5 (144) Brandon Harrison DB Stanford (Baton Rouge) Texans

5 (167) Kevin Payne CB La.-Monroe Bears

6 (176) Rufus Alexander LB Oklahoma(Baton Rouge) Vikings

6 (177) Jacob Bender OT Nicholls State N.Y. Jets

6 (209) Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma St.(New Orleans) Patriots

7 (213) Chase Pittman DE LSU Browns

7 (242) Keyunta Dawson DE Texas Tech(Shreveport) Colts

7 (254) Jonathan Holland WR Louisiana Tech Raiders

Free Agent signings:

LSU's Kicker/Punter (baseball)Chris Jackson signed with Bills

McNeese St. O-lineman Brent Pousson signed with Browns

* More free agent signings to come :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

He's going to be a threat in the NFL. To be 6'5, 375 & have his athletic ability is insane. He's a brick wall. He wouldn't move an inch if you ran into him with all your power. He's definitely benching 500 before the season starts. I'm keeping an eye on this dude.

Edited by UptownNewOrleans

Well said Uptown :thumbsup: Thanks for posting this Nate. This guy has freakish ability. :wacko: Another great find "under the radar screen" prospect for the Saints. Who knew anything about Marques Colston before last season?? At the very least stick him on the practice squad to develop his game; seeing that he played ball at a two-year college. I will look forward to him stuffing the run with the Saints for many years!!! Interesting that current LSU coach Les Miles recruited him while Oklahoma State in 04'.

Oh yeah Nate, I have been fairly active on the NBA Playoffs thread. :thumbsup: That was a stunning turn of events with the Warriors handling the Mavs the way they did. I figured it would be a tough series for the Mavs; but nothing like that.

And the Heat being swept by the Bulls was equally impressive.

The Rockets were eliminated by the Jazz tonight in game 7.

The Suns/Spurs series should be a great one!!! I am a big Suns fan myself.

I was hoping for a Suns/Bulls Finals....but the Bulls got beat down by the Pistons tonight; now down 1-0.