Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Ah, my gut feeling....

I'll start by saying that I will not make an official prediction for this game. Apart from some friendly trash talk with Brian, I haven't done it all season, and I won't start now!

As for how I see the game turning out...

Weather- I think this whole thing is overhyped. Yes it will be in the 20's with the wind chill factor, and there may be some flurries during the game, but both teams have to play in it. The leader of the Saints offense is Drew Brees, and he played his college ball at Purdue. Marques Colston played at Hofstra in New York, John Owens came from Notre Dame, as did Jeff Faine, Zach Strief came from Northwestern, Jahri Evans from Bloomsburg, etc. etc. And on defense, Will Smith came from Ohio State, Jason Craft from Colorado State, Mark Simoneaux played for the Philadelphia Eagles, and Mike McKenzie for the Green Bay Packers, etc. And on special teams, veteran kicker John Carney played his college ball at Notre Dame, and punter Steve Weatherford played at Illionis.

Offense- I see Deuce McAllister having a big game on the ground, and Reggie having a pretty big game as well. I think Sean Payton will use them similarly to how he used them against the Eagles. You let Deuce pound it down the middle, and then bring Reggie in to take it outside or to the edge. That plan worked perfectly against a Philidelphia run defense that had been playing better than Chicago over the past four serious games. I don't think I can predict how Drew Brees will do in terms of stats. If the rushing game works as well as I think it could, I think Drew will also play a similar role, and finish with similar stats as he did last week against the Eagles. Though that is one of the major things that Drew offers you when compared to Aaron Brooks. If the game comes down to Drew Brees, you know that he is a fantastic leader and he can handle it, and perform very well. That is something that we just never saw in Brooks.

Defense- The Saints' defense has been playing very well overall for the past few games. The obvious weakness is the secondary, and then you can narrow that even further to Fred Thomas. He gave up that big touchdown to Donte Stallworth last week, but overall he did a pretty good job against a much faster and younger Stallworth. If you take away that play, Donte really did nothing, and if the Saints offense plays pretty well tommorow, I think we can afford to give up a big play or two. As long as Fred Thomas doesn't let his man beat him every time, I think he will be OK. Another key in the secondary is not dropping interceptions. Last week we saw Jason Craft drop two interceptions early in the game that both landed in his hands, and if you can intercept Rex Grossman early, it could be the start of his demise. We saw the same thing (dropped INT) with a Seattle player early in the game last week against the Bears, and Grossman then went on to have a very good game. The linebackers have been extremely solid, and have made the big hits and big stops when they were needed, especially Scott Fujita. On line, the key will be getting solid pressure on Rex Grossman, and stopping the dual-back set of Thomas Jones and Cedrick Benson. The latter will be made easier by the fact that big runstopper Hollis Thomas is back from his bogus steriod suspention. On the ends, Will Smith and Charles Grant will need to get pressure on Grossman. If you get pressure on him and force him to make mistakes early, his confidence and performance seem to drop like a rock, and that has been the common denominator in all of the bad games he has played this year.

So to sum it all up, I'm pumped! We're now about 19 hours and 30 minutes away from gametime, and time seems to be creeping by way too slowly. :lol:

Great rundown Nate. Our radio show might be dangerous :thumbsup:

That's what I am hoping for !!! Charles Grant and Will Smith forcing Grossman into some mistakes. Grossman is not as agile as the older Jeff Garcia. And catching the interception opportunities like you said. CornerBack has been said to me the most difficult position to play. Scott Fujita is solid! I was excited when I found out the Saints signed him as a free agent.

The Bears Defense just has not been the same since DT-Tommy Harris has been out! Karney can clear some seroius holes in the run game for Deuce. Karney is a "Beast". I will miss Horn; Colston is a big-timer, but he will need some help from the other recievers. Billy Miller has really been a good pass catching TE.

I will not and have not made any predictions either. Like you said Nate, the weather factor "Bear weather" is way over-hyped. Returner Devin Hester is a southern boy(Fla); the Saints have plenty of northern (experience)players.

Remember Hester for Miami("U")?? The one that was bottled up by LSU in last years Peach Bowl!!! Micheal Lewis should shadow-him on special teams!!! Special teams...the other 1/3 of football.

Close to 19 hours now!!!

Edited by richyb83

Like you said Nate, the weather factor "Bear weather" is way over-hyped. Returner Devin Hester is a southern boy(Fla); the Saints have plenty of northern (experience)players.

And you can't forget that Rex Grossman played his college ball at Florida. I find it funny that all of the national "experts" that say weather will be a huge factor never seem to mention anything like what both you and I mentioned. :whistling:

And if you think Mike Karney is a beast, check out his truck!

saints-to-chi-106.jpg

That photo was taken by "SaintRob" over at SaintsReport.com today at Armstrong International in Kenner as the Saints were about to depart to Chicago. There was a massive crowd of fans there to wish them luck, and you can see the rest of the photos here. Check 'em out! :thumbsup:

Just a little college football news before we all go crazy with the Saints game...

Rivals.com currently lists the following teams leading the recruiting race:

Texas

Tennessee

LSU

USC

Florida

Notre Dame

South Carolina

Georgia

Nebraska

Illinois

^ And some very big name players still uncommitted that could be headed to LSU and change that list?>??

Ath-Joe McKnight of John Curtis HS- visted USC this weekend; versitile player that reminds some of a younger Reggie Bush.

DB- Chad Jones- Southern Lab; huge safety prospect/plays baseball too; LSU;USC;Florida;Florida State are all in the running.

DB- Stefoin Francios- East St.John; had an 88 yard Kickoff return in the U.S. Army All-Star Game; hopefully the Tigers land him too.

WR-Terance Tolliver-tall player who is very highly rated out of Hempstead TX.

If LSU land 3 of these 4..they could climb even higher. Les Miles has been doing a fantastic job recruiting. Interesting to see how well new OC-Gary Crowton and new OL Coach Studrawa will do!!!

GO SAINTS !!!!!!!! :yahoo::tough:

Some pretty bad calls, but the Saints just killed themselves through most of the first half. However, that 78 yard TD drive was extremely important for the Saints, and hopefully that will carry over into the 2nd half. The Saints are only down by nine at the half, so it's still only a two possession game. But the Saints have to keep the Bears out of the endzone on the opening drive of the second half.

Bears: 16

Saints: 9

Why does the clock continue to run when they are out of bounds???

Proof that too many turnovers kill.

Down only 16-14 with a good drive going; then being stopped missing the 47 yard FG changed field position. Then the Saints deep in thier own territory get a Safety...the turning point

I am shocked the Saints allowed it to get this ugly. This hurts!

I am proud of the Saints..they were alot of fun to watch!

Edited by richyb83

My brother was at the game in Soldier Field today(just got off phone with him). They left early in the 4th qtr with some sick things being taunted to them....some of the Bear fans were totally classless and will one day be accountable for what they were saying. They told the girl he was with "you should have drown with the dome with Katrina"...how sick & evil is that??? :sick: It ain't easy being seriously outnumbered like that in a crowd of rabid drunk fans.

The Bear fan at work had better show alot more class/respect than that tommorrow.

I was unaware that domed teams on the road were 0-9 in Championship games. I thought this Saints team could do it.

Edited by richyb83