Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Chuck Liddell WINS AGAIN!!! :tough: Remains Champion in UFC. He's one bad dude; he beat Tito Ortiz for the 2nd time. Tito was much more humble this time around, he said he "fought his A game" but it was not enough. Liddell almost put him away in the 1st round. The brutal beatdown went 3 rounds this time.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:o

My boss, who recently left our company, called me yesterday and invited me to his house to watch the fight tonight on PPV. :(

We had some friends come in from Texarkana unannounced, so we ended up spending the evening with them. Man, I forgot all about the fight!!

THANK YOU, Richy, though, for the update!!!

Chuck Liddell is one bad dude. Tito is a bad dude as well, but he's got a serious ego problem. I'm glad he seemed humble this time, because he usually acts like his stuff doesn't stink!

Yea, the Saints lost, but I could care less. The Saints had their 3rd string defense in during most of the 4th quarter, while Carolina never took out any of their starters. The final was 31-21, and I'm very proud of the Saints' backups, great game guys!

And this magical Saints regular season comes to an end with the Saints finishing the year at 10-6, NFC South Champions, and the #2 seed in the NFC. Amazing year, Saints! :yahoo:

And the Cowboys lost to the now 3-13 Detroit Lions, 39-31 at home. The Eagles now wrap up the NFC East, and the Cowboys, which were staring the #2 seed in the NFC playoffs in the face a few weeks ago, now enter the playoffs as the #5 seed on a 2 game skid.

And this magical Saints regular season comes to an end with the Saints finishing the year at 10-6, NFC South Champions, and the #2 seed in the NFC. Amazing year, Saints!

AMEN! I am very proud of the Saints! The biggest turn-around this year in the NFL! They exceeded everybody's expectations including mine. Amazing year is right :yahoo:

Back-up RB's Jamaal Branch scored his first career TD! And Fred McAfee scored his first TD since 95'! I liked the goal-line stand by the back-up Saints D in the 2nd half too!

The Bears look bad tonight trailing the Packers 13-0 late in the 2nd Qtr.

Edited by richyb83

As far as the number of rooms, I've always wondered that myself. Let's see... in the downtown area you have the following:

Downtown Baton Rouge has:

Hilton Capital Center: 290 rooms

Sheraton: 300 rooms

Maybe not the hugest selection, but hey, it's a start; they are currently renovating an old building into a 90 room hotel.

You know, this is probably the first time I've posted something in the Sports thread. I might have to come in here more often, this might be where ya'll come to talk about me. :lol:

And to preserve the relevance of this post in this thread I'll say "Go Saints! :yahoo: "

Arkansas is trailing 17-7 at the half in the Capital One Bowl. I hope they can get it together, because they are the better team, and the SEC already lost one of its matchups to the Big-10, with Tennessee losing 20-10 to Penn State.

Arkansas is trailing 17-7 at the half in the Capital One Bowl. I hope they can get it together, because they are the better team, and the SEC already lost one of its matchups to the Big-10, with Tennessee losing 20-10 to Penn State.

Yeah at the moment the SEC is 4-2. But Arkansas isn't looking that great so far. I've been surprised how little they've tried running the ball. Neither QB looks like they can get any type of passing game going. But hopefully they'll try to get more of a running game going in the second half.

Denver Broncos' cornerback Darrent Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver early this morning, while in his limousine...

http://sports.espn.gocom/nfl/news/story?id=2716385

Man, that's horrible. It seems like NFL players and any proffessional athletes are getting caught up in death and gun problems more than ever this year. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Wow, my heart goes out to the Denver Broncos and their fans everywhere. That's terrible.

NCB, you think the Super Bowl could be, as I suggested before, a Saints-Chargers match-up? Be interesting to see how Drew Brees would play against his old team.

BTW, sorry to hear about your loss to the Panthers.

Off topic a little, the Falcons just fired Jim Mora. Arizona's fired their head coach as well.

NCB, you think the Super Bowl could be, as I suggested before, a Saints-Chargers match-up? Be interesting to see how Drew Brees would play against his old team.

BTW, sorry to hear about your loss to the Panthers.

Off topic a little, the Falcons just fired Jim Mora. Arizona's fired their head coach as well.

:lol:

Don't worry about the Panthers loss, IC. Like I said, our backups were in nearly the entire time, while Carolina kept all of their starters in. Playoffs! :D

As for the Super Bowl, I don't want to make any predictions yet. But I will say, I think the Saints are a much better team than the Bears, and we already beat the Eagles. So do I think we can get there? Yes, definately. But we'll just have to wait and see. A Saints-Chargers matchup would be awesome for so many reasons.

And I did hear about Mora being fired. But honestly, I think Atlanta has other problems. The players would be a big concern for me, if I was a fan. The fact that you're having to fire a coach that just got to the NFC Championship with many of the same players 2 years ago is interesting to me. How much of the blame do you think should be put on the players? I know Atlanta has all kinds of talent, and the bad coaching and unimaginative playcalling certainly didn't take advantage of that. But I don't think some of the players really cared about winning or about their coach. The fact that the Falcons' starters lost last night to the Eagles' backups follows that belief, IMO.

Many teams want to follow the season off strong, even if they had a disappointing year. You saw that with the Steelers, 49ers, Packers, and Lions yesterday to name a few. They knew they weren't going to the playoffs, but they still wanted to finish the season with a win. Atlanta didn't look like that at all. It seemed like most of the players were just ready to get out of there, with no thought about winning or finishing on a good note. The Falcons right now remind me of the Saints back in '01,'02, & '03. Lots of talent, but bad coaching, bad playcalling, discipline problems, and players that really didn't even care about success. If you remember, for a few years after that Saints playoff run in 2000, the Saints had very talented teams, but they always ended up finishing 9-7 or 8-8 and slumping when it counted most. Sound familiar?

Bad news for the SEC, Arkansas made too many mistakes and couldn't beat Wisconsin. The worst part is that Tennessee and Arkansas lost to Big 10 teams. So now we're going to start hearing how the Bif 10 is better than the SEC. I really hope Florida manages a win or else we'll hear it a lot more.

:lol:

Don't worry about the Panthers loss, IC. Like I said, our backups were in nearly the entire time, while Carolina kept all of their starters in. Playoffs! :D

As for the Super Bowl, I don't want to make any predictions yet. But I will say, I think the Saints are a much better team than the Bears, and we already beat the Eagles. So do I think we can get there? Yes, definately. But we'll just have to wait and see. A Saints-Chargers matchup would be awesome for so many reasons.

And I did hear about Mora being fired. But honestly, I think Atlanta has other problems. The players would be a big concern for me, if I was a fan. The fact that you're having to fire a coach that just got to the NFC Championship with many of the same players 2 years ago is interesting to me. How much of the blame do you think should be put on the players? I know Atlanta has all kinds of talent, and the bad coaching and unimaginative playcalling certainly didn't take advantage of that. But I don't think some of the players really cared about winning or about their coach. The fact that the Falcons' starters lost last night to the Eagles' backups follows that belief, IMO.

Many teams want to follow the season off strong, even if they had a disappointing year. You saw that with the Steelers, 49ers, Packers, and Lions yesterday to name a few. They knew they weren't going to the playoffs, but they still wanted to finish the season with a win. Atlanta didn't look like that at all. It seemed like most of the players were just ready to get out of there, with no thought about winning or finishing on a good note. The Falcons right now remind me of the Saints back in '01,'02, & '03. Lots of talent, but bad coaching, bad playcalling, discipline problems, and players that really didn't even care about success. If you remember, for a few years after that Saints playoff run in 2000, the Saints had very talented teams, but they always ended up finishing 9-7 or 8-8 and slumping when it counted most. Sound familiar?

Firing Mora leaves an opportunity to hear a coach who can get the team organized a little better. Quite a few sportswritiers have said that they've never seen a team with as much talent as Atlanta has on its line-up squander it the way the Falcons do. After watching a few games this season (both good and bad ones), I have come to agree with them some.

But, the problems, as you said, go deeper. Our team needs to come together more as a team and play like it wants to win. We aren't terrible at it, but we need some improvement at it. However, some of the lack of teamwork can be attributed to the fact that we have to use a few subs in key positionswho the rest of the starters aren't used to working with.

Sorry for discussing this in the Louisiana sports thread. The Atlanta one is almost dead :D.

Anyways, a New Orleans trip to the Super Bowl would be great to see. Think of all the press the Saints first trip to the Big Game would get!

:o:lol: We posted at the same time on the same subject....

I posted my reply when asked in the Football Predictions thread in the Sports forum.

Nick Saban realized his mistake not long after he left LSU; he's just more cut-out for the college game(Spurrier,Pete Carroll) He wanted the challenge of bringing back a storied past like the Dolphins. But they regressed this year(6-10). He misses the college game..and the $ + tradition-rich Alabama + slower lifestyle of Tuscaloosa than fast-paced Miami.

I can't believe he's going to an SEC West school rival after such a short time. Some people think he is a jerk for doing this. I say bring it on!!! I appreciate what Saban did building LSU into a "Powerhouse" program"...

but Les Miles is 21-4 so far at LSU with an improved special teams.