Changes at 50 Monroe?

GRDadof3

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huntington officials have said they will make an announcement about their plans soon. Rumor mill has them as lead tenant for Eenhoorn's 275 Fulton Place project, thought a more conservative approach could keep them in newly darkened current digs (and, possibly, scuttle the 275 building since Eenhoorn said it was being driven by a bank).

I'm not a fan of the new paint job whatsoever. The only reason it looks slightly better is because the white was so bad. I was hoping that at some point they would remove that outside skin and have the original buildings show back through.

Not an option due to the substantial alterations to the building when it got its cruddy white cladding. Maybe a new "old" looking facade would have worked.

I'm not a fan of the new paint job whatsoever. The only reason it looks slightly better is because the white was so bad. I was hoping that at some point they would remove that outside skin and have the original buildings show back through.

That could definitely be problematic. You usually give these things a good power wash before applying new paint.

I think this building would look nice with some lighting. Up lighting, down lighting, whatever. I hope they spend some time modernizing the outside (the little things like new light fixtures, etc.). I also think they should fix the Friday's entrance. I always thought they never really finished that facade. Something about it looks goofy to me.

Joe

the worst part about the new paint job is that it doesn't look like they are cleaning the old panel first, so all that dirt and grime is going to be underneath and will probably cause the paint to chip off in a year or so

That right there would tell me this new paint job is a haphazard attempt to attract clients to infill the void that will be left behind by Huntington Bank's move to 275 Fulton.

the worst part about the new paint job is that it doesn't look like they are cleaning the old panel first, so all that dirt and grime is going to be underneath and will probably cause the paint to chip off in a year or so

I would say with the coincidental recent announcement about Eenhorn "signing a major tenant", and the beginning of work on 50 Monroe, I'd say Chris is right that Huntington has now committed to 275 Fulton Place. I could be wrong, but all other factors being equal, the timing (after waiting for more than a year for a 50 Monroe announcement) seems to coincide.

I wondered about that too and had opportunity to inquire of the workers there, and apparently they are hand washing with a mild solvent. The amount of loose and missing caulk had the potential of letting water into the building if they power washed. I suspect that if the painting contractor is warranting the work, he would want to do appropriate enough prep for him not to come back and cost him money.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived