Changes at 50 Monroe?

GRDadof3

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this were my project. I would strip the modern skin off the buildings, replace said skin with "New old" looking facades. Since the building consists of multiple buildings fused together. I'd go with an atrium to connect the original buildings together. The key here is replacing the current facades with new ones as the originals were completely and utterly destroyed to make way for the current facades.

If this were my project. I would strip the modern skin off the buildings, replace said skin with "New old" looking facades. Since the building consists of multiple buildings fused together. I'd go with an atrium to connect the original buildings together. The key here is replacing the current facades with new ones as the originals were completely and utterly destroyed to make way for the current facades.

My biggest gripe with 50 Monroe has always been that it looks dirty and when they replace signage, no effort was ever taken to clean up the old holes or "shadows" of business past (you can see a shadow to the left of the Huntington sign, and there has always been one that annoys me near the Friday's sign).

I personally don't think 50 Monroe is too terrible looking and I like the black. It will be interesting too see what extras and upgrades they add to make it better.

The surface lot also seems out of place, like it's a suburban building in the city. But maybe that will change someday. :)

Joe

• 1 month later...

I think it looks a lot better too. The only thing that is bad about it is that when you get close up, you can see dings and dents. But it is still much improved.

I have never hated this building, I think maybe because it was shiny and sleek when almost everything else was dillapidated in the area. Before the Arena, this was basically the last nice building North of Fulton. Crazy.

Joe

Archived