Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

hey just thought I'd mention that I might be going to Henricus on Friday... little brother has a field trip and wants me to be a chaperone.

I'd bring my camera if I went.

Yes, take your camera. And make sure the little tyke is bundled up against the chilly winds on those heights.

Maybe if you're lucky, you'll see a transAtlantic cargo ship heading up or down the James. You'll get a nice view of the 1-295 (Enon) bridge. Incidentally, the configuration of the river is complicated down there and hard to figure out. Immediately below the bluff to your left is the Dutch Gap cut. There's a large map in the gift shop.

I was told that Henricus foundation purchased the left-over pieces from the NEW WORLD movie. I thought they had been donated by the film people.

Check out this thread for some great economic news. One highlight: " Richmond has the largest industrial market in the state at 100.5 million square feet, fueled by companies wanting facilities close to Interstate 95."

Vdogg. This is the latest post I can find from you on the Richmond page.

Would you please explain to me this new situation with Guy announcing himself as the new Moderator on the Richmond Board? I admire Guy, but my friend Wrldcoupe has been all but silent today and he is the leader I follow and admire.

I don't think this is a proper entry here, but I'll post it anyway.

If anybody is planning a trip to New York today or in the immediate future, I would advise you to postpone and keep your ear tuned to newscasts.

The Transit Strike was called at 12:01AM today, and the City is a mess. No buses, or subways, and if you're lucky, you might be able to share a cab with passengers headed in the same direction. Below 96th Street, all cars must have at least the driver and three riders during morning and evening rush hours.

So far, New Jersey Transit, Amtrak and Long Island Railway are operating on schedule in and out of Penn Station and Metro North is on schedule at Grand Central. But once you're in the City, prepare to walk to your destination.

Edited by burt

that's a good question...havent' looked into buying an old rowhouse. Depending on the neighborhood and size though, I'm sure it could get expensive. I'd put a wager at... if you were buying one in gooood condition, between $200k and $450k

I'd guess $300k to $600k in Church Hill (south of Broad) and in The Fan. There are some bargins in Union Hill and north of Broad in Church Hill.

I think I'm suppose to meet with this lady as a representative of college students from her district over break.... hopefully she can do something about the world's greatest ripoff known as college textbooks!

Waddell Victory by 42 votes

She''ll be a representative from chesterfield county in the state legislature.

I'd have to say the James River parks are one of my favorite things about Richmond. The river and the parks are true regional treasures.

James River Park System wins magazine honor for 2nd straight year!!!

James River Park in Richmond has been recognized for the second straight year as the best urban park by readers of an outdoors magazine........

.....The city-managed park is a system of 12 properties running along the river's northern and southern banks stretching from Ancarrow's Landing to the Huguenot Bridge.

All told, the park offers about 550 acres of wild natural scenery and a variety of recreational opportunities, including whitewater boating, rock climbing, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, swimming, tubing and bird-watching.

I think I'm suppose to meet with this lady as a representative of college students from her district over break.... hopefully she can do something about the world's greatest ripoff known as college textbooks!

Waddell Victory by 42 votes

She''ll be a representative from chesterfield county in the state legislature.

Good news for the state!

Anyways... thought this was interesting. Of the 100 largest metros, Richmond ranks 6th followed by HR in 7th...

Real Estate Growth Forecasts...

Richmond's median home price is slightly less than HR's, however, Richmond has higher projected growth in prices in 2006 and 2007.

Why is housing in Va so much more than other metro areas?