Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

man it's freezing up here... supposed to get 3-6 inches, but up to 12 inches of accumulation, depending on the storm track!

I can knock all of you guys out of the park! Currently, we have 2 and a half feet of snow on the ground and today has been the first day in about 2 weeks that we have seen temperatures above 10 degrees (that is not 10 degrees C, either...that is F!). We are about to receive 3-6 more inches of snow this afternoon and tonight and snow has just started falling again. I didn't used to, but after I experienced one winter here in Montana, I just laugh at any east coast snow storm and how people react to them! This is me when I watch TV and all over the national news it says there will be a "big storm" of 6 inches on the east coast -- :rofl: You guys would die if you saw how people up here react to snow...it's like any other day to them. Nothing stops, nothing closes, and 80 year old ladies still drive on the roads! It's simply amazing!!! Maybe I'll post a photo for you...stay tuned....

hahaha I'm sure back in Richmond, every Ukrop's must be in utter chaos.... as soon as Richmonders hear the S word, they go nuts! It's like the apocolypse is upon us or something :lol:.... there won't be a carton of milk or a loaf of bread to be found! :rofl:

I know and that is just freakin' hilarious! Here's a photo of my house in Montana with only about a foot of snow. We have over twice that right now! Just crazy!

Myhouseinabout1footsnow.jpg

Edited by eandslee

Oh, we do our best to stay warm. Thanks...it's a colonial style home (hard to find in these parts, but I had to have something that reminded me of home! :))

Man, this storm that's blowing in right now is no joke (in Montana)! I has dropped 15 degrees in just 45 minutes!!! Blowing snow...almost like a blizzard! I live in an artic tundra!!! Augh!!!

Eric, do we have permission to make Christmas Cards using the snow-bound picture of your house? It's charming! :)

Sure, if you'd like. I don't like the fact that the stupid construction sign is sitting in my front yard, but hey, whatever you want...feel free to use the photo! :D

I've never viewed this unique Richmond holiday tradition, but it seems pretty cool...

James River Parade of Lights this Saturday

I'd like to see this! And Henricus would be the ideal spot on the bluff high above the river with the Enon (I-295) bridge just to the east (or is it south)?

Trouble is, Henricus Park is not easy to find in daylight, much less after dark!

Sure, if you'd like. I don't like the fact that the stupid construction sign is sitting in my front yard, but hey, whatever you want...feel free to use the photo! :D

Thanks Eric. I did give it some thought then realized what a Klutz I am. Somebody with photoshop talent could airbrush out the sign and the next door car.

I noticed this on wikipedia.org... can't find a source (for the wikipedia piece), but if it's true, it's a great sign for the city's turnaround:

As of the 2000 census, the city of Richmond had a total population of 197,790. A more recent census estimate indicates that Richmond's population has grown to 201,384.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond%2C_va

A feature in the current Style Weekly deals with retail and condos in its story on The East Broad Street makeover. The author makes a case for current shopkeepers who attract certain low-income customers while providing little appeal to other societal elements.

While the retail story has its successes and struggles, there is no question that conversion to residential condos is making strong inroads along the East Broad corridor. According to William Lucy, Professor of Urban and Environmental Planning at the University of Virginia, "the (condo) market in Richmond, especially downtown, hasn't come close to reaching capacity".

I would think that would be an encouraging analysis for Goodstein and Bow Tie.

A feature in the current Style Weekly deals with retail and condos in its story on The East Broad Street makeover. The author makes a case for current shopkeepers who attract certain low-income customers while providing little appeal to other societal elements.

While the retail story has its successes and struggles, there is no question that conversion to residential condos is making strong inroads along the East Broad corridor. According to William Lucy, Professor of Urban and Environmental Planning at the University of Virginia, "the (condo) market in Richmond, especially downtown, hasn't come close to reaching capacity".

I would think that would be an encouraging analysis for Goodstein and Bow Tie.

That is excellent news to see what we've felt about downtown's condo market is truely backed up by expert opinion as well. Goodstein, build them tall baby!!! Make it a true signature development in Richmond!!!