Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Hey everyone,

My grandmother, who I was very close to and lives in Richmond, passed away this morning and it looks like I'll be heading back to Richmond...unfortunately, not because I want a vacation. Anyway, I'm having trouble finding a cheap ticket to get back home. Do any of you work for or know someone who works for an airline who might be able to help a fellow "UPer" get back home for a family funeral? A standby ticket would be perfect. Let me know what you know. Thanks a million in advance. Eric Lee

Hey everyone,

My grandmother, who I was very close to and lives in Richmond, passed away this morning and it looks like I'll be heading back to Richmond...unfortunately, not because I want a vacation. Anyway, I'm having trouble finding a cheap ticket to get back home. Do any of you work for or know someone who works for an airline who might be able to help a fellow "UPer" get back home for a family funeral? A standby ticket would be perfect. Let me know what you know. Thanks a million in advance. Eric Lee

Eric, so sorry to hear of your loss.

Don't the airlines give discounts to those attending family funerals?

In the old days, service men could hitchhike on military flights. Is that a thing of the past?

Eric, so sorry to hear of your loss.

Don't the airlines give discounts to those attending family funerals?

In the old days, service men could hitchhike on military flights. Is that a thing of the past?

Thanks Burt. I found a ticket...for really cheap so I'm "good" now. Airlines do discounts, but they are hardly discounts. I was looking at having to pay over $1000 to fly from Great Falls, MT to Richmond, VA!!...and that WAS the discount!! Unbelieveable! The funeral is on Monday, but I'll be staying through Saturday the 7th. Anyway, I've got to get everything set up so that I can be ready to go. Thanks anyway guys! I'll be lurking around I'm sure next week...hopefully, we'll get some really good news about some of the taller projects proposed soon. I could use some really good news about now. Later!

Well I got to see Style Weeklys Headquarters my mom had to go pick up some coupon books they have an awesome place. They had all these signs with the top people of 05 in Richmond and I think I might know whos #1 if i'm not mistaking its Mr. Wilder. But I wouldn't agree with that. He's doing an average job in my record books.

Well I got to see Style Weeklys Headquarters my mom had to go pick up some coupon books they have an awesome place. They had all these signs with the top people of 05 in Richmond and I think I might know whos #1 if i'm not mistaking its Mr. Wilder. But I wouldn't agree with that. He's doing an average job in my record books.

Hahahahahaha. You're a sketch, Joey :lol:

There's a story in the Virginian Pilot and quoted in the Norfolk Development 2 thread titled "King" - cha ching. Norfolk's Broadway Boom. Maybe Guy would post it here.

It reports on the economic development cities can generate by having a performing arts center large enough to accommodate road shows like THE LION KING for extended runs. The entire 6 to 8 week run at Chrysler Hall in Norfolk has sold out despite high ticket prices. The result has been booming restaurant sales, hotel bookings and retail sales.

So far, Richmond has no such facility.

Edited by burt

Chicago only ran for a week in Richmond this past week at the Landmark :)

The only Broadway touring show to play 2 weeks in Richmond was BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Landmark a few years ago. But when I say "large enough", I'm not referring to seating capacity, but to stage facilities. Richmond's deepest stage (36' from procenium to back wall at the Landmark) is about 10 to 15 feet too shallow to accommodate the big mega, money making shows. Plans, on hold, for the Carpenter Center would increase its stage depth from about 29' to 49' making it a nice fit for long runs provided other venues like the Landmark, the National and The Empire could accommodate displaced performances, concerts, etc.

we need to get the Carpenter Center fixed up properly as soon as possible.

In other news... I have a surprise for you guys. No it's not a new tower or anything (hopefully the two in Manchester suffice)....something I've been working on. :thumbsup:

Well, tell us already! :P

we need to get the Carpenter Center fixed up properly as soon as possible.

In other news... I have a surprise for you guys. No it's not a new tower or anything (hopefully the two in Manchester suffice)....something I've been working on. :thumbsup:

THREE in Manchester, Coupe! Don't forget the 85 condo unit.

is it that you have a bunch of Photoshopped pictures of the new towers that are to go up to give us a visual of what the skyline will look like with the new additions? I'm also dying to hear about this "surprise"! By-the-way, now that all of the funeral stuff is done, I'm really enjoying my visit in Richmond. It's great to be home again!