Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

The knocking together of heads may be coming to an end over the Performing Arts debate. Our esteemed Mayor is naming a committee to rehash plans. I wish Coupe were here so he could cut and paste the article in today's RTD. Or, if any other knowledgeable reader has the ability to do so, it would be appreciated :)

The knocking together of heads may be coming to an end over the Performing Arts debate. Our esteemed Mayor is naming a committee to rehash plans. I wish Coupe were here so he could cut and paste the article in today's RTD. Or, if any other knowledgeable reader has the ability to do so, it would be appreciated :)

Hi, coupe! Welcome back (hint hint). :lol:

Congratulations to all in HR regarding the exciting plans for Ocean View. It is exciting reading!

Thanks Burt, that is quite friendly of you. :) That skyline is gonna be quite a site coming in from the HRBT. I always thought we needed a few highrises near the freeway to give that "big city" feel. (Something that Richmond has in abundance but we are still lacking at the moment :( ).

Thanks Burt, that is quite friendly of you. :) That skyline is gonna be quite a site coming in from the HRBT. I always thought we needed a few highrises near the freeway to give that "big city" feel. (Something that Richmond has in abundance but we are still lacking at the moment :( ).

Between Norfolk, Vabeach and Newport News and hopefully Hampton we will have plenty of high rises floating through HR. Richmond seems to be picking up its pace as well.

It seems so... although it's just one city :) not to mention it has to compete like hell with them thar suburbs.

but Vistas is underway, there's a new 15-story hospital bed tower at VCU, the 2 towers of Centennial towers, and a planned 20-story tower somewhere. Plus the 4 high-rises (might be mid-rises though) planned for Manchester along the Riverfront and potential places for highrises elsewhere. I've also heard that someone was planning a big tower in Manchester, but hasn't gotten financing for it yet. oh not to mention the Ethyl parking lot which will undoubtedly have at least 1 highrise, and it will probably be a signature tower... we'll see though. It's good to hear that stuff is happeneing all over the state :thumbsup: keep it up HR

(4 because of Hanover).... One problem, is that even though the city should be the leading entity, it isn't. Most likely do to the fact that both henrico (about 280k) and chesterfield (about 290k) have a much larger population compared to Richmond (200k). The city also shares a disproportionate burden of poverty and crime and not as good schools. Better regional cooperation in those issues could really help the area prosper....

As VAPAF has learned through missteps and horrendous harrassment, fund-raising and book-keeping can be difficult. Similarly, Mr. Wilder's proposed Slave Museum in Fredericksburg is getting its share of perusal, as reported in today's RTD.

Another story related to VAPAF deals with a lawyer hired by the Foundation investigating city administration interference in the denial of a building permit for the Carpenter Center.

And just when we thought the impasse might be lifting!

Edited by burt

I hope I can prevail upon our leader and good friend, Mr. Coupe, to cut and paste a very enlightening article in today's RTD titled "Arts Center Deal Reached".

There's another story on the subject about Wilder's appointment of new board members to the study commission, but the article above is the one I would like to see posted here if there's a choice between the two.

Also, there's a very well put together column by Michael Paul Williams about the similarities of raising funds regarding projects involving Mr. Wilder.

Edited by burt

Over on the Hampton Roads forum, under Norfolk Off Topic, the subject of inner city populations arose. Willy compiled a list of six cities: Norfolk; Tampa; San Antonio; Dallas; New Orleans and Orlando. Of these cities, New Orleans is the densest in the 1-mile radius with 27,000 residents. Norfolk has about 19,500. But the city that Willy did not list is Richmond ranking third among Southeast Cities after Atlanta and Miami with more than 30,000 in the 1-mile radius.

Edited by burt